JasonJason H. R. ChufnstufPDX Icrontian
edited June 2011 in Lifestyle

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    The beautiful peo-- wait...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I'd get fat too if I broke up with Ms. Von Teese.
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    pseudonym wrote:
    I'd get fat too if I broke up with Ms. Von Teese.
    +1
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    In rock, some acts age gracefully and others, not so much.

I'll reserve judgment for Mason because it was never really my cup of joe, but I will say that there is something honorable, okay about changing with the times as well.

Pearl Jam's newest tune (I can't stand it), is very poppy, almost happy, kind of radio friendly. Does it make Pearl Jam any less artistically relevant if people latch on to the new sound and enjoy it, no, not at all, but for me, I just don't care for it, and I used to be a big fan. U2 is a band that has enjoyed a bit of a strange maturation curve. U2 started as the post punk, new wave of pissed off youth, I was there, a young U2 could inspire you to action, then, they got rich as hell, and on a personal level they had so little to be internally angry about, so they made records that were different in their core theme, and everybody said "sell outs!", but the reality was that things had changed, and they would rather change than fake it. Were they as good? Meh, though I did see them on the Elevation tour shortly after 09/11 2001 and I will say there was a moment in that show that emotionally griped me in a way that was very genuine.

I guess what I am saying is this. If your up there and being in the moment, being genuine with people, the audience will get that vibe and run with it. If your 40 and just pretending to be 20 you can't really fake it. If you are 40 and you still feel 20 deep inside, you can channel that energy and the audience will buy into it.

A few weeks ago there was panic amongst Rolling Stones fans that Charlie Watts may have informally called it quits. Imagine a 68 year old man that just wants to retire. He has not officially announced that he has, but if he does I say good for him, you can only be a Rolling Stone for so long.

Neil Young has embraced so many changes over his career. In fact, Neil Young is the quintessential ever changing artist. From rockabilly to folk to country to grunge rock to commercial pop rock back to folk back to country, he has done it all. When Young followed Freedom which was primarily noted for his return to crazy horse style grunge with Rockin in the Free World, some people did not understand the shift back to a more introspective country folk sound of Harvent Moon, what was amazing, is that Young does what he feels like doing, on his terms, without clinging to any specific image, now that is being a rebel.
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    I guess what I am saying is this. If your up there and being in the moment, being genuine with people, the audience will get that vibe and run with it. If your 40 and just pretending to be 20 you can't really fake it. If you are 40 and you still feel 20 deep inside, you can channel that energy and the audience will buy into it.

I get the gist of what you're saying, Cliff, and I'm almost inclined to agree with you, but let me ask you this: How are you supposed to act when you're 40 as opposed to 20?
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited September 2009
    I think the point he's trying to make is act how you feel and don't try and fake it. It's not about acting your age it's just about being yourself.
    edited September 2009
    Jason wrote:
    I get the gist of what you're saying, Cliff, and I'm almost inclined to agree with you, but let me ask you this: How are you supposed to act when you're 40 as opposed to 20?

Let me just apologize a little. I went back and read what I wrote word for word, and it can appear that I mean to be a little abrasive, I don't. I totaly dig what you are saying about an aging musician that does what he feels is genuine. If Marilyn Manson whats to project the same image he did 15 years ago, or at least a slightly bloated variance of it he is entititled, and he should do whatever he feels is genuine. People that go to his shows will be able to tell if he is giving them something genuine, something real, or if he is just faking it through another show for a pay day.

So to your question, I think what it comes down to is what the performer feels is genuine about their own personal experience. Some will choose to change their style, and others will cling to their youth, neither one is right or wrong, what matters is if what they are doing is connecting with their audience in a way that feels worthwhile and genuine.
    edited September 2009
    Let me just apologize a little. I went back and read what I wrote word for word, and it can appear that I mean to be a little abrasive, I don't. I totaly dig what you are saying about an aging musician that does what he feels is genuine. If Marilyn Manson whats to project the same image he did 15 years ago, or at least a slightly bloated variance of it he is entititled, and he should do whatever he feels is genuine. People that go to his shows will be able to tell if he is giving them something genuine, something real, or if he is just faking it through another show for a pay day.

No need to apologize, Cliff. There's nothing inherently wrong with what you've said, and I'm not going to be offended even if you say he's a washed-up slob.

Maybe this is getting too existential, but I wonder if we can ever really know who someone is. Half the time I don't even know who I am!

(And just to play the devil's advocate, even if he's just "faking it through another show for a pay day," if he really only cares about the money, he's still being genuine to who he is.)
  • -tk-tk Detroit, MI USA Icrontian
    edited October 2009
    Well said! Most of the so called "rock stars" of the pre-MTV generation were all a little doughy and out of shape, and nobody cared. Hell some of 'em even touted the fact; i.e. Fats Domino, Chubby Checker, etc. Thousands of albums were sold, people came went to shows and everyone was happy.

I think it's a shame that we live in an era of style over substance, especially in regards to visual artforms. I mean really, who cares what the people on the record look like?! You don't listen with your eyes.
  • edited April 2010
    Kay so who cares if he's put on weight? This is an unflattering picture. Just go look at mansonwiki.com The 2010-2011 pictures he is in, are showing him as skinny. Therefore the pictures that he is in that are "fat" looking, are obviously taken from a bad angle. People call him a has-been, and sell-out, yet he still makes excellent music, and still pulls off crazy antics on the stage, so therefore he is not a has-been.
    This picture... I'm wondering where it came from, the only thing that actually looks like Manson is the facial structure, the hair doesn't even look like him. But really, does it matter if he put on weight? NO! He's 41 years old and most people at that age generally gain a bit of weight. He's still good lookingto me so leave him alone. Though he looks better in the MA ERA.
    edited April 2010
    Omega wrote:
    Kay so who cares if he's put on weight? This is an unflattering picture. Just go look at mansonwiki.com The 2010-2011 pictures he is in, are showing him as skinny. Therefore the pictures that he is in that are "fat" looking, are obviously taken from a bad angle. People call him a has-been, and sell-out, yet he still makes excellent music, and still pulls off crazy antics on the stage, so therefore he is not a has-been.
    This picture... I'm wondering where it came from, the only thing that actually looks like Manson is the facial structure, the hair doesn't even look like him. But really, does it matter if he put on weight? NO! He's 41 years old and most people at that age generally gain a bit of weight. He's still good lookingto me so leave him alone. Though he looks better in the MA ERA.

I don't know about now, but he definitely gained a bit of weight when I saw him last year. He may have trimmed up since I saw him, but you could clearly see his gut. (I have a couple of pictures I took at the show that I'll upload if I can I figure out how). That said, I'm not sure who you're responding to, but I'm certainly not dissing him if that's what you think. Did you happen to read the entire article?
  • edited August 2010
    It's INCREDIBLY easy to tell that this is a fake. Don't be morons! His NOSE is a dead giveaway. Manson's is very pointed. This one is very rounded. The close-up (also a dead giveaway, since there's only two pictures) very clearly shows abrasions and scarring in the tissue. These are not present on Mr. Warner (Manson).
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2010
    What a fatty.
  • Me
    edited April 2011
    first of all, he's not fat. True, he's not stick thin like he used to be, however, I would say he's about average weight now, Never mind the fact he's in his 40's.

second, as the previous poster said, you listen to music with your ears not with your eyes.

I would also like to point out that Robert Smith from the band The Cure used to be very thin in the 1980s, however, he too gained a lot of weight, but both men are still relevant and very attractive to this day.

People need to stop caring so much about what society thinks and just start being themselves.
  • edited April 2011
    I have always loved his music, so why does it really matter if he gained a few (or rather many) pounds. I mean hell, he is not that fat! His music is awesome and if you don't like it nobody is making you read this, you dont have to post...
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited April 2011
    Marilyn Manson is in his 40's?!?!

<facepalm>

God, I'm getting old.

Next thing you'll say is that Pearl Jam is "classic rock".
  • edited June 2011
    does it really matter? hes still the same person. if it really bothers you, then you're a fuckin troll. gaining weight and getting old doesnt change the true person. so really it shouldnt bother anyone. and its just life, not a big damn deal.
    edited June 2011
    Shelby,

Did you bother to read the article??
    edited June 2011
    shelby wrote:
    does it really matter? hes still the same person. if it really bothers you, then you're a fuckin troll. gaining weight and getting old doesnt change the true person. so really it shouldnt bother anyone. and its just life, not a big damn deal.

Of course it doesn't matter; that's the whole point of the article, which I wrote simply as a response to all the criticism Manson was getting at the beginning of the High End of Low tour.

Most of the reviews were fairly negative, attacking his weight and accusing him of being washed up; but I loved both the album and the show, and thought Manson was true to form. I was being extremely critical of his critics if anything, which I think the fourth paragraph makes abundantly clear.