Soupin' up the Puch (moped)

PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) WaifuDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited July 2011 in Lifestyle
jdinsQ.png

So yeah, I recently got full custody of my dad's old 77' Puch (Maxi Rigid I believe) Gonna soup it up! Right now, trying to figure out what the heck size brakes I need for it, since I am getting this kit, and obviously I'm gonna need new brakes. I suppose...I'm looking for help on that, and any other suggestions for this lil' German crapper. :rockon:
GargHumerusMeg

Comments

• RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    It cleaned up real nice, looks good.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Garage looks more organized now, also. :)
  • PinkInDetroitPinkInDetroit Brian's (actual) Waifu Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    I have done nothing to the Puch except clean the carb and put new gas in, and yes matt organized or some crap.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Oooh, it's a rigid? Those aren't very common. Cool...

Since you have spoke wheels, I'm 99 percent sure you seen Leleu brakes like these:

http://www.treatland.tv/leleu-brake-shoes-puch-peugeot-p/moped-leleu-brake-shoes-puch.htm

http://www.treatland.tv/EBC-80mm-quality-brake-shoes-p/puch-ebc-brakes-322.htm

http://www.treatland.tv/eagle-80mm-brakes-p/eagle-80mm-brakes.htm

80mm x 18mm is the size.

Since you're getting it back on the road, this video might be helpful too. Or it may just be cute. Either way it's good stuff.

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24146147?title=0&byline=0&portrait=0&quot; width="400" height="225" frameborder="0"></iframe><p><a href=" City Peds PSA #1</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user867615">Nick Girard</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p&gt;
    edited June 2011
    Thanks Buddy J! Put the first brakes on my list. The video is nice too! I checked all that stuff already, except the break tension... that'll be next. maybe grease up the chain too. Only problem is now, the darn thing won't start. =( Well I can get it started...it'll run for about 30 seconds...then putter out and refuse to start again. =( What should I check? (yes, it has gas...)
    edited June 2011
    oh yeah, as for it being a Rigid...I'm not 100% sure. But it sure looks like one! Anyone? Beuller?
    edited June 2011
    ALSO...reading up on stuff... if I go from my ol' 50cc engine to a 70cc engine am I going to need to upjet? AND AND AND...does this thing have a fuel filter? :confused2

EDIT: N/M...saw the kit comes with a whole new carb anyhoo.. derp derp...
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    Generally rigid means no rear suspension, which judging by the picture the moped does not have. So yes, rigid.

Yes, it should have a fuel filter on it. If it doesn't we'll need to get you one. Did you flush and clean the gas tank before cleaning the carb or did you just fill it and run it? If you didn't clean it and it didn't have a fuel filter, we'll need to clean it and reclean the carb most likely.

Did you premix the gas with the oil or is it oil injection??? Assuming premix given the age.

Not sure what the 70cc kit you are looking at entails (I'm assuming just the top end) but we'll want to make sure the bottom end is solid before we do that. Don't want to go destroying that with a little more oomph.

New carb SHOULD be tuned for the "big bore" kit but we can check that with a plug read.

Just provide some beer and I'd be happy to mess with it......
    edited June 2011
    I did not flush and clean...muh bad.. just added gas. =P It says "no unleaded gas" and I'm like, "really?" thoughts?

It SHOULD have a fuel filter...I just don't know where. And if it does, I probably need a new one.

The gas is a mix. 1:50

Did you look at the link of the kit I am getting? Um...yeah! Bottom end? Top end?

Name your beer. :) My kit SHOULD arrive this week...
    edited June 2011
    Leaded gas has lubrication properties that unleaded does not have, not sure what to do about this but a little more oil during premix should cover it I think. There are also additives for this, I'd have to look into it. Plus it can have an effect on octane rating but I doubt the compression ratio is high enough to require high octane, although the kit says it is high compression, just not how high.

Fuel filter is a must, as is cleaning the tank. Make sure both are done BEFORE the kit. I also doubt very highly that you have the tools to do the rebuild given the state of finding tools at HQ.

The kit is a top end rebuild. Bottom end would be bearings, crank, etc.... Reading the description, we are going to have to tune the thing, this guy has done minimal work. I especially enjoy the "You get what carb I have in stock" part.
    edited June 2011
    there are quite a few tools lying around HQ now... scotty has a tool kit, and theres a bunch of random crap everywhere.

Where else can I find a fuel filter, and how do you clean a fuel tank?

oi....
    edited June 2011
    Any auto parts store for a filter. You'd probably need to buy some fuel line too since the stuff on it is probably hard as a rock.

As for cleaning the tank, i would drain it and take a look at the fuel that comes out. Does it look like gas or is it dirty? look in it with a flashlight. If it looks really nasty in there we'll have to do something about it or we'll just be filling the filter with rust and dirt all the time.
    edited June 2011
    ah ok. well we kinda replaced the fuel line already since it had cracked. joys!
    edited June 2011
    Pseudo, the fuel tank is part of the bike, removing it is not an option, it is the "downbar" from the handle bars to the pedals.
    edited June 2011
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    Pseudo, the fuel tank is part of the bike, removing it is not an option, it is the "downbar" from the handle bars to the pedals.

Yeah I know. I figured we could flush it and turn the whole moped upside down if need be :vimp:
    edited June 2011
    pseudonym wrote:
    Yeah I know. I figured we could flush it and turn the whole moped upside down if need be :vimp:
    :rockon::rarr:
    edited June 2011
    ^yep. That's how you clean it. There are some good threads on mopedarmy.com about cleaning gas tanks. You should also check to make sure the petcock is cleaned. It's the little lever valve that lets the gas flow into the carb or not. Make sure it's free from debris like rust and old gummy gas. If it's leaking or seems messed up, just order a new one.

You will have to tune the carb when you install that kit. Detroit's altitude is 500ft above sea level so you'll probably be on the rich side. I would start with a mid-90s main jet and tune downward. It's safest to start with a rich jet and then lean it out. Starting too lean is a good way to bork the motor.

You shouldn't need to put a new crank in your motor unless A) your bike is thrashed and the motor is beat to hell or B) you break something while tuning it. And if that happens, you're out $120 for a complete new one.

Your kit, if you just bolt it on and go from there, shouldn't be aggressive enough to start causing problems with the crank or clutch. The potential for aggressive performance is there, but I think you'd have to port it a lot more and get a different exhaust before you started having issues.

If you're having trouble with it right now, first thing to do is to drain the old gas and clean the gas tank, carb, fuel filter and petcock and to make sure the fuel line is good. After that, fill it with new (ethanol-free) gas mixed with some 2-stroke oil at the right ratio (I use synthetic 2-stroke oil like Royal Purple or Amsoil). See how things go.
    edited June 2011
    cleaned the petcock/fuel filters last night. oddly, they seem pretty peachy keen besides the one at the tip being a bit bent. (yes, just the tip)

brian suggested cleaning the tank out with alcohol (i said, rum, he said no. damn, more rum for me) or using sea foam. My issue is....sea foam is effing not cheap to clean out a whole tank. Might clean it when I get home from work or some shit... other thoughts?

i may be a dumb girl...but..er...ethanol free gas? wha? There are only 3 gas stations in michigan that offer it according to www.buyrealgas.com

as far as my bottem end stuff...I'm gonna guess its pretty decent. We kept the bike inside, and when my dad was around he'd clean it every year and kept it going otherwise. (he was a Master Mechanic) and we never did anything crazy with it besides run it up and down the road. *shrug*
    edited June 2011
    Use vinegar to clean the tank.
    http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

The reason to use ethanol-free gas is because the ethanol is rough on rubber seals and fuel lines. It can cause degradation. Also, ethanol is hygroscopic so it attracts water if you leave it for a while. If your 'ped is gonna sit in the garage for a long period of time, the gas there is more potential for the gas to go bad. If you can't get ethanol-free gas, then go to the auto parts store and replace your old fuel line with a new one. (they'll sometimes give you a short scrap piece for free since it doesn't take more than a foot usually.)
    edited June 2011
    ok ok...got some vinegar and all the shebang working right now.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited June 2011
    ...and then?
    edited June 2011
    ok ok...so cleaned the tank out with vinegar over a course of 3 days. Last day, put in about 2 TBSP baking soda and flooded it with water a couple of times. (baking soda to neutralize the acid in the vinegar) then filled the tank with rubbing alcohol (to dry it out) then ran some gas through the tank. Put the petcock back on (I'm going to need a new one, the old one doesn't have an "off" anymore per se) and filled her up with premix. Still wouldn't work. Pseudonym came over and took the carb off again and turns out the jet was plugged solid. Thanks Seafoam! (grr) he cleaned the crap out of it and now she runs like a champ! Gonna put the kit on real soon though... need more speed!
    edited July 2011
    Excellent! Post pix when you kit it!
    edited July 2011
    Yay Pseudonym :)

Yay! now go make friends here:
    https://www.facebook.com/MotorCityRiot