SAPPHIRE PURE Fusion Mini E350 review, part one

mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    It's so little! I wonder what cool projects you could build with something like this.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Buddy J wrote:
    It's so little! I wonder what cool projects you could build with something like this.
    Considering this thing has more computing power than the original space program, I'd say the possibilities are endless.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Should have thought to say it before, but I'm curious on how it will fun Mythbuntu or perhaps Boxee on Linux for setting up a free open source HTPC project?
    edited May 2011
    Should have thought to say it before, but I'm curious on how it will fun Mythbuntu or perhaps Boxee on Linux for setting up a free open source HTPC project?
    One of the requested things was a Linux HTPC. I'll see if the Mythbuntu distro works as well as Boxee and XBMC.

Personally I prefer XBMC over Boxee on Windows (haven't tried Linux yet). Boxee takes a very long time (hours) to scan my media folders and create its database. XBMC takes minutes and has better hardware acceleration support.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Boxee took 20 minutes to scan and ID my 2TB media collection the first time, and hasn't taken more than about 40 seconds to grab something new since.
    edited May 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Boxee took 20 minutes to scan and ID my 2TB media collection the first time, and hasn't taken more than about 40 seconds to grab something new since.
    Interesting. Maybe they improved the speed in a later update. No idea what I was running, but it did take hours to complete. My collection currently sits at 2.3TB.
  • edited May 2011
    i bought one the day newegg posted them as in stock i built a machine with 4 gigs of memory and added a onboard laptop wireless card and built it on a lian li spider test bench it is a awsome machine for what it is
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Nice review. Pretty promising platform for something that uses so little power.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    One of the requested things was a Linux HTPC. I'll see if the Mythbuntu distro works as well as Boxee and XBMC.

Personally I prefer XBMC over Boxee on Windows (haven't tried Linux yet). Boxee takes a very long time (hours) to scan my media folders and create its database. XBMC takes minutes and has better hardware acceleration support.

Thanks, I'll be interested in what your experience is like, because I'm strongly considering it for exactly this purpose. I just recently simplified my home theater in a way thats really elegant in the front of the room, but space is limited and the only way I'm going to go HTPC is on a mini itx platform with a single HDMI out to the HDTV. I believe this may solve my problem.
  • ec
    edited July 2011
    i had difficulty using this with freenas and unraid. also ubuntu does not run well. it seems that marvell ethernet chip is not fully supported yet on linux.

anybody else have the same issue?
  • edited August 2011
    Hello!
    What about "Maximum RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)" - is this so?
    edited August 2011
    XVII wrote:
    Hello!
    What about "Maximum RAM: 8GB (2x4GB)" - is this so?
    According to the specs, yes. I don't have an 8GB kit of laptop DDR3 to test, so I can't really verify that it works, but I doubt they'd list it if it didn't work.