mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Cool review Nick. I'm impressed.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    how much memory can you allocate to the GPU?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    You can allocate 1GB max. Other options were auto, 512MB, and 256MB. The default is 512MB.
    edited July 2011
    okay, I guess 1GB is good enough. would be nice with a motherboard that can do 32GB to be able to allocate, say 2GB to the GPU
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    okay, I guess 1GB is good enough. would be nice with a motherboard that can do 32GB to be able to allocate, say 2GB to the GPU
    I doubt allocating 2GB to the GPU would matter for performance. I guess with 32GB you wouldn't really miss it. Of course it's also difficult to locate 4x8GB DDR3...this is the most reasonably priced 2x8GB kit I've seen recently, and it's only DDR3-1333.
    edited July 2011
    4x8GB might be, but 4x4GB ain't.

so when can we expect APU's to come with a beefy enough GPU's that will WANT 2GB of memory?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I love how you did the gaming portion to adjust to scale to playable settings. Nicely done!
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone here, but I'm not thinking too much of this new APU graphics-on-CPU thing. It may be fine for normal computers that Joe Average may use for checking email or watching Youtube, but any half-serious or full-serious gaming PC should still have a dedicated PCI-E GPU.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    To anyone that previously spent $100 or so on a GPU, this is the replacement. It's smaller, cheaper, faster, uses less power, and emits less heat. To those who spent more, this is not for you (unless HTPC).
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited July 2011
    Tim wrote:
    I'm sure it's no surprise to anyone here, but I'm not thinking too much of this new APU graphics-on-CPU thing. It may be fine for normal computers that Joe Average may use for checking email or watching Youtube, but any half-serious or full-serious gaming PC should still have a dedicated PCI-E GPU.

Maybe, but have you SEEN the IE6 benchmarks?
    TiberiusLazarus
  • edited August 2011
    If I upgrade to this processor from my current Core 2 Duo 2.13 :( can I crossfire with my current ATI 4850 1gb card and if I can will it do me any good. I mean the card is very good but its a dx10 card. If I can crossfire it should boost the graphics output as it assists the on board dx11 card, right?

Also will I be able to keep my 500w Fujicom power supply.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    You can only CrossFire the AMD A8/A6/A4 APUs with a Radeon HD 6570 or HD 6670 graphics card at this time.