Repairing Windows XP in Eight Commands

12346»

Comments

• edited August 2011
    So...what this did for me was boot windows to the third point of the windows install process upon which it asked me to insert me windows install cd. I did that and now it is on the fourth step of a windows install: "Installing Windows". This better be a repair install or I am going to be pissed.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    derek wrote:
    So...what this did for me was boot windows to the third point of the windows install process upon which it asked me to insert me windows install cd. I did that and now it is on the fourth step of a windows install: "Installing Windows". This better be a repair install or I am going to be pissed.

If you followed the instructions exactly, it would be a repair install. It sounds like you hit Enter where you should have hit R, as specified.
  • edited August 2011
    Didn't work.
    edited August 2011
    Descriptive
  • edited September 2011
    I want to repair my OS and in command Prompt i can only see C:/ is not showing windows and i have type CD but its saying bad command please help me
  • edited September 2011
    my windows xp is not working well. It starts and get on the welcome screen and if i click on any account it automatically shuts down.
    edited September 2011
    Deepak wrote:
    my windows xp is not working well. It starts and get on the welcome screen and if i click on any account it automatically shuts down.

Sounds like either a broken install of windows or a virus/rootkit. Have you tried booting up in safe mode?
  • edited September 2011
    thanks
  • edited September 2011
    Excellent thanks a lot, that was essential everyone should know it.
  • edited October 2011
    thnx alot! it worked for me.

is there a way to repair vista or win 7 this way?
    Let me know
    thanks again!
  • edited October 2011
    After follwoing these steps, the problem still persists...if I boot from CD, now I do not see C:WINDOWS anymore...

Please help...
    edited October 2011
    Verify all cables are plugged in snug and then retry the process. If it still doesn't work, you should test your HDD with utilities like those from UBCD, because you may have a bad HDD.
  • edited October 2011
    Thanks for the reply Tushon.. when I ran chkdsk lasttime..it did say something about HDD..but I was having control until I typed exit command.

Anyways, I will try UBCD..
  • I have windows xp sp3 installed on my samsung laptop and i have been getting occasional Multiple IRP requests complete BSODs on shutdown, with error code 0x00000044. Minidumps show that the error is related to ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll.

I am thinking of running this repair procedure but i am not sure if i can do this using win xp sp2 disc since i have sp3 installed.

Please help.......
    You can use the guide to verify your H/W is good (HDD and RAM) then run chkdsk /r and sfc /scannow. Report back after those three things.
  • I have already tried running disc checking on my c drive with the option to automatically fix file system errors. Also, i have tried the bios disc checking utility. Seems like the hdd is fine. I have tested my ram by running memtest overnight which hasn't shown any problems. Shall i go forward with sfc/scannow?

Also, if sfc asks for windows disc, do i need to have sp3 disc to replace broken files? I can arrange an sp3 disc image and either load it in virtual drive or burn it to a disc.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    sfc /scannow would seem to be the next step. I would personally reapply SP3 after letting sfc do a repair to stock windows disc files for any broken/corrupt/damaged ones, as that will catch files not IN SP3.
    You can use any untouched SP3 disc and the computer will not care if it is a mounted ISO or physical disc.
  • Thanks a lot Tushon and Straight man, will run sfc and will see if i get any luck with it.