Windows XP wont connect to Router/internet

edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
I've read a bunch of threads on similar problems but no one has quite the same problem, so here goes.

I put a new processor, mobo, hdd into my tower. After some problems installing I got windows xp installed, right off the bat my onboard network adapter wont connect to my router, even though it's connected. I tried pinging the router and nothing. My laptop has no problems connecting.
I saw the article on slip streaming, so i have service pack 3 installed, installed router drivers, nlite (not sure what it does, hate to admit it but i'm ignorant of what SATA does or how to configure. I know it's faster, but been awhile since i've built). I'm thinking of just taking my machine to a repair shop, but the one i want to go to is closed today. So if you guys can help it would save me some cash.

Here are my stats
Win XP
Phenom II 2.8 gb quad core
Biostar A770E3
Pny 4gb Dimm DDR3
Hitachi 500gb HDD
Not sure what else you all need, so just let me know.
also, I did turn my onboard Network Adapter on in Bios

Thanks
Jon

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Hi Jon,
    Is your computer connected to the route via wired or wireless?
    What is the make and model of your router (or just make if you can't find the model number)?

Can you please do this while you are connected to the router:
    1. Go to the Start menu
    2. Click Run
    3. Type "cmd" and press enter
    4. A black console should show up, type "ipconfig /all" and press enter
    5. Right click anywhere in the text, and select all
    6. right click again now that the text is highlighted, and click copy.
    7. paste the results here.

----
    Regarding SATA and nlite...these are things unrelated to your network problem. They have to do with hard drive interfaces and booting. So you do not have to worry about these things.
    Meanwhile, you should NEVER have to install drivers for a router.
  • edited August 2011
    linksys wrt54g2

I cant copy/past (i'm on my laptop) so here is the info
    Host name .............commputer
    Primary Dns Suffix.......... (blank)
    Node Type.............Broadcast
    IP Routing Enabled..........no
    WINS Proxy enabled.......no

Ethernet adapter Loccal Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix...hsd1.co.comcast.net
    Description....................Realtek PCIe GBE Family controller
    Physical Address............00-30-67-BB-6F-25
    DHCP Enabled................yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled...Yes
    IP Address....................0.0.0.0.0
    subnet mast..................0.0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway............(blank)
    DHCP server................... 192.168.1.1
    DNS ............................68.87.85.102
    as a side note, i cannot see any connection anymore either in my notification or in the network
    connections folder.

*edit* wired connection. that worked until i intalled all this new equipment.
    edited August 2011
    The problem is your IP address and subnet mask. You may notice they are all 0s. There are a number of things that could cause this but in your case I would reinstall the nic.

First:
    http://www.realtek.com/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=13&PFid=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    Go there and download the top file in the list:
    "WinXP, Win2K, Win2003 Auto Installation Program (SID:1462015)"
    Get this file on to the computer that does not connect to the Internet and we will use it later.
    Next:
    1. Right click "My Computer" on your desktop and left click properties
    2. Go to the hardware tab and click device manager
    3. find your Realtek controller listed under the network adapters or communication devices (I forget in WinXP exactly)
    4. Right click it and select uninstall
    5. When it is finished removing the device go to the file you downloaded and run through the installation

It will likely ask you to restart, and hopefully when you are done you will be connected to the Internet.

If not there could be an issue with your TCP/IP stack and we may need to repair it.
  • edited August 2011
    That did not work. unfortunately. when i reinstalled it didn't ask to restart, but it did say new hardware was ready to use. but i cant use it, when i ping my router there's no response.
    edited August 2011
    You could attempt bypassing DHCP as a temporary solution to at least get it online. Not sure if it will work or not. I am also not sure if you got the latest driver for your nic installed or if Windows simply reinstalled the old one.
    I'd try this:
    1. If you did not run the software from the last post, run it to make sure you have the right driver installed.
    2. If that doesn't fix it right off, follow steps 5-9 in this guide:
    http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
    using these numbers:
    ip address: 192.168.1.10
    subnet mast: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1
    primary dns: 192.168.1.1
    secondary dns: <leave blank>

Once all that is set give her another whirl.

Let me know if that takes care of it.

This is all based on a fresh install of Windows right?
    If so it is very unlikely your tcp/ip stack is corrupt. I still feel like there may be some weird incorrect driver installed.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Did you physically check the cable/lights on the NIC/router? You should see something blinking if there is a physical and layer 2 connection occurring.
  • edited August 2011
    well, i strike out again. That also didn't work. I think i'm going to drop it off at a shop tomorrow. It will less of a headache for me. Thanks for the help.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Did you ever install the drivers for the onboard network adapter? Have you installed ANY drivers? This sounds like an easy fix one way or another if you are willing to stick with it. Since you just installed new hardware the issue is in the comp itself.
  • edited August 2011
    i did bios drivers, network adapter drivers (several times), and what ever else that was on the cd that came with the Mobo. and yes, there are lights blinking on the port that my computer is plugged into on my router. there is also a light blinking on my computer where the cable is plugged in.
  • edited August 2011
    This is a fresh install of xp on a brand new hard drive
    edited August 2011
    Probably a dumb question, but you didn't plug the cable in to the WAN port of the router did you?

Are there other computers connected to the router that work?

Also, did you try entering a static ip?
    If that doesn't fix it right off, follow steps 5-9 in this guide:
    http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm
    using these numbers:
    ip address: 192.168.1.10
    subnet mast: 255.255.255.0
    gateway: 192.168.1.1
    primary dns: 192.168.1.1
    secondary dns:

If it is too late sorry we couldn't help you out in time. Best of luck getting it fixed and welcome to Icrontic!
  • edited August 2011
    I never took the cable out of the router, and it worked before. But i still double checked and it's in the right one. i tried your suggestion and it did not work, but now there is no connection i can get to. and when i click on set up a home network it doesn't do anything, it's weird.
    edited August 2011
    Do you have any third party software, specifically security software, that might be setting up some sort of proxy?

Have you tried simply power cycling the router?

Are there any computers hooked up to the same router that work?
  • edited August 2011
    i've turned the router and modem off. and the laptop i'm on now is working off the router. but my desktop doesn't even get to the router when i ping it, there is no response. no third party security.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    And Windows reports that you're connected?
    edited August 2011
    Jingerson if I were you I would follow this guide:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822123

There is something screwy with the dhcp. It isn't flat out not working otherwise you would get a Windows assigned 169.254.etc. Instead you get this 0.0.0.0.

A quick google search revealed the kb article above which looks like it could really help you out. You just need to have the patience to run through the steps. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
  • edited August 2011
    the problem i'm running into now is that i cant see a connection to even do the steps in the guide
    edited August 2011
    This is what we need to know:

When you do this:
    Right-click My Computer, click Manage, and then click Device Manager under Computer Management.
    Expand Network Adapters

What is listed under Network Adapters? Anything?
    edited August 2011
    Have you tried connecting the RJ45 cable from the modem (I'm assuming you have cable or DSL) to the onboard adapter to connect to the internet without the router? If this works then I would recomend reseting the router manually. To do this make sure the router is not plugged in to the power source and using a ball point pen or paperclip press the "reset" button located between ethernet port 4 and the power connection for about 10 seconds. This will reset your router to original factgory settings and will also wipe clean any old network information in the router. This means your old network settings will be gone including the password. Then follow the instructions in the manual for the router just like you did when you originally installed the router.
    edited August 2011
    Mr Obvious here; have you tried a different cable?
    edited August 2011
    Also, disregard the second half 2 posts above since I see that the laptop is connected.
  • edited August 2011
    I have tried to connect to the modem. Same. In device manager it lists my onboard network adapter. Realtek. On my phone walking the dog so i dont recall the exact model.
  • edited August 2011
    realtek PCIe GBE Family controller is what is listed in device manager
    edited August 2011
    ok then I would try this:
    Method 3: Verify That the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Client Service Is Started
    Verify that the DHCP Client service is started. To do so, follow these steps:

Right-click My Computer, click Manage, expand Services and Applications under Computer Management, and then click Services.
    Verify that the DHCP Client service is running.
    If the service is stopped, right-click DHCP Client, and then click Start.
    edited August 2011
    ok then I would try this:
    Method 3: Verify That the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Client Service Is Started
    Verify that the DHCP Client service is started. To do so, follow these steps:

Right-click My Computer, click Manage, expand Services and Applications under Computer Management, and then click Services.
    Verify that the DHCP Client service is running.
    If the service is stopped, right-click DHCP Client, and then click Start.

Also right click on DHCP, select "Properties" and the "General tab". Then make sure that automatic is seclected, click apply and OK.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    IPv6 ID, and 0.0.0.0.0 is Windows way to issue a null IPv6 mask, but you have the network interface trying to configure an IPv4 connection to it. Windows XP likes to autoconfigure IPv4 connect. Incompatible.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    IPv6 ID, and 0.0.0.0.0 is Windows way to issue a null IPv6 mask, but you have the network interface trying to configure an IPv4 connection to it. Windows XP likes to autoconfigure IPv4 connect. Incompatible.
    derp?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    derp?

No, not really. The router light is on for the cable connect from the server, and the nic light is on. Both are natively IPv6, and are talking to each other, or both lights would not be on. Problem is not with card or router, that much was gotten right.

Meanwhile, XP thinks it has a IPv4 device pair, and tries to set up an IPv4 stack for it. XP can barely recognize an IPv6 addressing device. The stack setup will have to be completely manual, and I wouldd get Comcast tech support to do that.if they will.

John
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    And Windows reports that you're connected?

This is a great question, my next is: Are all devices connecting to this access point experiencing the same problem?

If the cable/NIC is detected and this is the only machine having the problem, try rebuilding TCP/IP Stack and Winsock via the below commands via Start>Run>cmd

netsh int ip reset reset.log

netsh winsock reset catalog

Make sure you reboot after running these commands. Should you still be unable to establish a connection, make sure any Firewall software you have installed is disabled temporarily (Norton, McAffe, and other Anti-Virus applications commonly include a firewall component).

Should you not have any, make sure you temporarily disable the Windows Firewall by typing the following command in Start>Run>cmd

Disable Firewall: netsh firewall set opmode disable
    To reenable it later: netsh firewall set opmode enable
    edited August 2011
    No, not really. The router light is on for the cable connect from the server, and the nic light is on. Both are natively IPv6, and are talking to each other, or both lights would not be on. Problem is not with card or router, that much was gotten right.

Meanwhile, XP thinks it has a IPv4 device pair, and tries to set up an IPv4 stack for it. XP can barely recognize an IPv6 addressing device. The stack setup will have to be completely manual, and I wouldd get Comcast tech support to do that.if they will.

John

It was the way you worded your original post that sparked the derp? I believe. In essence, why not just say remove ipv6 from the stack? There are some easy step by steps to do that in WinXP. Regardless, I think the guy took it to the shop. We may never know if this was resolved.

GG all, I'm proud of everyone who tried to help :D