HTC EVO 4G Gingerbread OTA update can finally be rooted

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Step-by-step instructions.

(In b4 old. I posted this to IRC a few days ago, but forgot to follow up here).

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    so much <3 right now
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    No excuses now, FC!
    edited August 2011
    yup, even got a spare 8GB microSD card ;)
    edited August 2011
    so once I have rooted the phone, what then? (besides apps Thrax listed in another thread)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    You can install new firmware that will improve battery life and performance. You can choose between the Sense UI, or the stock Android UI, the latter offering more free RAM and the best performance.
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Thanks for the guide man - going to root Jess' EVO 4G, I was a sad kid about a month ago when I started digging into it and found they hadn't worked around the newest build of Gingerbread.
    edited August 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    You can install new firmware that will improve battery life and performance. You can choose between the Sense UI, or the stock Android UI, the latter offering more free RAM and the best performance.

thrax, kwitko

suggestions on firmware? I'm guessing there is a way to overclock it to 1.1ghz also.

as far as battery life, i have the extended battery now, and got 3 days of use between charges
    edited August 2011
    meh, keep getting "invalid beta key"

tried 4 times now. I knew I hated "rooting" for a reason

edit> nvm, apparently the articles revolutionary files are outdated. read the comments at the WAY bottom of the article
    edited August 2011
    My firmware of choice is CyanogenMod. It's received more development than any other ROM, and its developers are by far the most professional. Everyone on the team is an engineer or software dev in one form or another, and god only knows how many thousands of man hours have been poured into making it work well.

If you want to flash it:
    1) Make sure all the contacts you want to keep are on http://contacts.google.com in the "my contacts" list. Only these will be synced to the phone after the flash.

2) Back up any applications+data you want to restore after the flash by downloading and using Titanium Backup from the Android Market.

3) Download cm_supersonic_full-165.zip from this page to your SD card. Don't extract it.

4) Download SavagedZen-2.2.1-BFS-HAVS-signed.zip from this site to SD. Again, don't extract it.

5) Download "20110613 Universal (Link)" to SD from the top of the page. Don't extract it.

6) Go to the Android Market and install ROM Manager.

7) Launch ROM Manager and click the "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery" option.

WARNING: PROCEEDING FROM HERE WILL WIPE ALL OF YOUR DATA. ONLY THE APPLICATIONS YOU BACKED UP WITH TITANIUM BACKUP, AND THE CONTACTS FROM STEP 1, WILL BE RESTORED TO YOUR PHONE AFTER THIS PROCEDURE.

8) Reboot the phone into recovery mode by turning it completely off, then back on with the volume DOWN button held. This is Clockwork, or "CWM."

ADVISED: NOW IS A GREAT TIME TO MAKE A BACKUP. GO TO THE BACKUP/RESTORE MENU AND CREATE A BACKUP. THIS WILL STORE THE STOCK OS TO SD, AND IT CAN BE RESTORED AGAIN FROM CWM IF ANYTHING GOES WRONG..

9) Once you're in CWM and have made a backup, perform these steps:
    -Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    -Clear Cache
    -Advanced > Clear Dalvik Cache

Menus are navigated with vol+/-, selections are made with the power button. Press the back button to go back.

10) Once you've wiped all of those, perform these steps:
    -Install zip from SD card
    -Choose zip from SD card
    -Select and confirm cm_supersonic_full-165
    -Select and confirm SavagedZen-2.2.1-BFS-HAVS-signed
    -Select and confirm gapps

11) Reboot and enjoy. Reinstall titanium backup from the market when you can and restore your apps from the backup it made to SD card.

You can tinker around with overclocking in the Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Performance menu. I also highly recommend the conservative CPU governor, which can be found in this menu as well.
    edited August 2011
    I love how CWM gives you 10 "no" options and only 1 "yes" option when you do anything that involves erasing or installing... ARE YOU SURE!

thanks a ton Thrax
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    ...suggestions on firmware? I'm guessing there is a way to overclock it to 1.1ghz also...

this.... Interested.
    edited August 2011
    What are you looking for?
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Overclocking information - is there a good app for this?
    edited August 2011
    Overclocking information - is there a good app for this?

it's built right in to CyanogenMod
    Thrax wrote:
    You can tinker around with overclocking in the Settings > CyanogenMod Settings > Performance menu.

Of course an app that showed your current speed (WCPUID) would be badass also
    edited August 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    Of course an app that showed your current speed (WCPUID) would be badass also

There is. I'll find it when XDA's search engine is back up.

//EDIT: This is it.