Post BSOD file corruption

ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
edited August 2011 in Science & Tech
Recently I had the misfortune of a DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE blue screen which is now causing problems with several programs. I recovered from that shutdown to a few errors among which is:
attachment.php?attachmentid=29261&stc=1&d=1314312332

This error also comes up when watching YouTube videos. It has also been preventing me from launching tf2, which fails with no warnings.

Another (related?) error comes up when viewing pictures:
"There was a problem starting C:\Pro...\Windows Photo viewer\PhotoViewer.dll
PhotoViewer.dll is not a valid Win32 application"

I have tried verifying system files using "sfc /scannow" but have not been able to fix the problem. I have tried running the command directly form windows 7 as well as from the windows 7 installation disk; both complete and return:
attachment.php?attachmentid=29262&stc=1&d=1314313260

I have also tried using system restore both inside windows as well as with the installation disk, but both fail before the restart. I suspect this may also be one of the affected programs.

It seems to me that some of my system files are corrupted and need to be replaced. sfc is not able to replace them and system restore is failing. What other options do I have? I'd prefer not to re-install, but at this point I'm thinking I might have to.

Comments

• PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    d3d9.dll (direct3dv9, a bunch of classes that make up part of directx) is used by all these applications. You need to repair your system's "main" direct-x install.

Basically you will want to download directx from microsoft.com and install/repair it with the msi.
    http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=35
  • ErrorNullTurnipErrorNullTurnip Illinois Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Apparently I have the most up to date version. How do I force the install over what I have?
    edited August 2011
    Try deleting the d3d9.dll mentioned in the error to d3d9.dll.old. You might have to do this in safe mode, I'm not sure.
    Next download this and put it in the old one's place:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18673150/d3d9.dll

Finally, Start->run->cmd
    cd c:\windows\system32
    regsvr32 d3d9.dll

Reboot .. try an app that previously didn't work and hope for the best.
    edited August 2011
    regsvr is complaining about versions. Is that the 64 bit version? I'm running 32, shoulda mentioned...
    edited August 2011
    regsvr is complaining about versions. Is that the 64 bit version? I'm running 32, shoulda mentioned...

Sorry about that, actually I should have not assumed it was 64 bit.

I put the 32bit dll in its place. The download link is the same as above.
    edited August 2011
    attachment.php?attachmentid=29266&stc=1&d=1314330618

Currently looking into it...
    edited August 2011
    Works now! Never got regsvr32 working but did a restart and now everything seems to be working fine. It also fixed the picture viewer. Thanks for the help PirateNinja!