The time is now to send a message: boycott Gamestop

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Never bought a game there anyways, boycotting since the internet was born...
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I agree 100%. Gamestop just lost me for good.

Do many of us have those game stop discount cards? Let's stand in unity, get videos cutting them up and send them to corporate. Not kidding, lets make a massive boycott project out of it. I have a card, heck, I have one of the fancy ones you pay $15 for. Lets send them a statement. Power to the players indeed.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Was thinking of going out to game stop to pick up Dragon age II for my mac ( they had it in stock ) but then I saw this yesterday on another site and I said F them! So i bought it from amazon digital download. I am tempted to go pull my Diablo III preorder back
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    +1 to this. I haven't shopped at Gamestop since they became a glorified pawn shop for used video games.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Good man.

GameStop hasn't seen a dollar from me in years, but this move ensures that they never will get a cent from me again.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    This is news? GameStop opens all the games they sell.
  • edited August 2011
    I'm not sure why people are suprised gamestop has been doing this for years with videogames. they take new copys of 360 and ps3 games open them store them in a slip cover and put the empty box on the wall but still sell the game as new.
  • edited August 2011
    I don't even know if what they did was legal...I imagine there's going to be a lawsuit if there isn't one already. Once a package was opened i didn't think you could sell as new. This just shows how scared gamestop is right now
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    FWIW, employees are allowed to 'borrow' games for 4 days under a litany of stipulations. Those borrowed copies are sold as new.
    edited August 2011
    drasnor wrote:
    This is news? GameStop opens all the games they sell.

Not with PC games, and they certainly haven't been pulling things from the games that they did open.
    I don't even know if what they did was legal...

It is certainly debatable. Though opening the product and selling as new isn't illegal (it is dirty, though), removing part of the product to block a competitive service in promotion of one's own service IS anti-competitive, which should be grounds for antitrust. I don't know the legal details, but I do know cases of antitrust can be taken to court.
  • RootWyrmRootWyrm Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    GameStop's activities actually do violate O.R.C. §1345.02(B)1, 5 and 9 technically.
    GameStop represented that they had approval from the manufacturer to modify the game from what was delivered; they did not.
    GameStop presented that the game sold there was identical to the offer as stated by the publisher; it was not.
    GameStop presented that they had approval from the manufacturer to remove OnLive codes from the delivered product; they did not.
    They would also be in violation of O.R.C. §1345.03(B)1, 3, 5 and 6 as a result. They removed a $50 value item from a game without disclosing this to customers, they knew the benefit of the removal was entirely one-sided in their favor, they refused to provide or permit returns due to their destruction of the OnLive code, and they stated the game was new as delivered when they knew it was not.

If a lawyer wanted to make some hay, they could pretty much nail GameStop for $600 for every single copy of DE:HR they sold in Ohio. ($200 or actual damages, whichever is greater, trebled by unconscionable acts clause.) Fortunately, I don't shop at GameStop anyway - the mafia has more ethics.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Not with PC games, and they certainly haven't been pulling things from the games that they did open.
    Actually, they do for PC games as well. My wife picked up a couple new PC games for me a few years ago and the employees had already opened the packages for both games and relocated the keys from the case to the inside of the manuals, nearly destroying one in the process.
    edited August 2011
    Hardly surprising anymore, really. It's been so long since i actually shopped there.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I haven't bought a game in a box since the inception of Steam. Boycott accepted. I think you're preaching to the choir here.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Well said, Bobby. I know we've had this very conversation several times in the past. Eff GameStop.

The last time I really considered their storefront a fun place to shop was back when it was called Electronics Boutique (and not even EB Games yet). Even then, I was highly suspect of their ethics, but at least things were just slightly bruised, rather than just plain rotten to the core.

Really, my biggest beef with EB/GameStop is their policy of selling opened games as "new", as already mentioned in comments above. This drives me nuts. I refuse to pay a full (if not flat-out overly inflated) retail price for a product that was opened, fingerprinted, and possibly scratched.

I have a policy: only -I- am allowed to scratch, scuff, and damage a new product. I also enjoy what I call the "shrinkwrap experience": that fresh plastic-y smell you get from opening up the shrinkwrap on a game, movie, or just about anything else. It's a delightful aroma of pure entertainment potential.

And GameStop continues to rob us of it.

Seriously. Fuck off, GameStop.

MaQok.jpg
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Too bad there isn't a real-world Recettear. Capitalism, ho?
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I can't remember the last time I bought a game at a store. Who buys a physical product anymore?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Millions of people apparently. There are GameStops everywhere.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Anyone who played Call of Duty: Black Ops for the 360. Those people.
  • FreshyPFreshyP Don Cheadle Cyberspace Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Aw dude... I bought so many things from that store... This is rough for me.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Yeah, sadly after the way this was handled I'm probably not gonna shop there much anymore.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Apparently, We have Gamestop in Norway. I'm not all that familiar with the store as I close to never buy video games physically anymore. I don't know if it's even the same Gamestop as over there, but it's likely. They have two sections in their stores, one for used and one for new games. The new games all are wrapped in plastic, if I recall correctly, so they may have a different policy than U.S Gamestops.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    GameStop is all but useless for PC games. they are all about PS3, Wii, and XBox360.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Question, where is the best place to pre order online? I pulled my D3 pre order last night
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's true I didn't think about console games. That sucks for consoles. That's pretty crappy that you have to go to a store to buy a game for consoles. Get with the times! How antiquated.
  • edited August 2011
    That is incredibly uncouth business ethics. They lost me as a customer a long time ago when they continued charging on average $10 more per game than any other retailer. More than that if you purchase your games digitally, as I now do.

It's just their final attempt to keep a grip with the tight competition of all the other retailers, both physical and digital. Sad tho that this attempt could have finally driven the nail in the coffin.
    edited August 2011
    CB wrote:
    I haven't bought a game in a box since the inception of Steam. Boycott accepted. I think you're preaching to the choir here.

Indubitably, but I wanted to make sure people were aware of the situation. The more I talk about it, the more I'm sickened by GameStop's practices.

GnomeWizardd, most people who preorder online go with Amazon. They deliver quickly and are totally reliable.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Uh oh gamestop, all these people who wouldn't buy from you anyway are gonna boycott ya! :p
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    >tell people to boycott gamestop
    >boycotters already weren't shopping there
    >regular customers don't care
    >nothing changes

FUCKING GAMESTOP
    edited August 2011
    HAHA but it's true D: