Ten reasons why I will not buy the Star Wars Complete Saga

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    pseudonym wrote:

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gfF8UgfXHrk&quot; allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="345" width="420"></iframe>

Man. The goosebumps I get from watching this scene.
  • Romad317Romad317 Member
    edited September 2011
    PirateNinja has it pretty much nailed, but I'd like to add to the general discussion (purely as a personal observation): Han is called "Scruffy looking" by Leia,not scruffy.....;)
    Geez, Louise, I love it when Fan Boys argue......
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Also, Jar Jar, I've said it before, I'll say it again, it's for eight year old boys, they love him. Watch Star Wars Episode I again in a theater full of children, they love Jar Jar, they laugh till they blow soda pop out their nose. Not everything is for us, and its okay.

My real issue with JarJar is that he doesn't fit with any other Gungan you see throughout the rest of the prequels. If he was (and I risk sounding profoundly insensitive and not politically correct here, but...) quite frankly less retarded and didn't sound like a neutered Michael Jackson with an IQ of 14, I wouldn't have had nearly as much issue with him. I thoroughly enjoyed all the rest of the Gungans in Phantom Menace, particularly Boss Nass.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I would contend that if both adults <i>and</i> children like the original trilogy, then a character like Jarjar is not only unnecessary, but thematically inconsistent.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Loving this discussion.

Can we add a poll here? I'm really curious how many plan on buying vs. who does not for the reasons listed in the article. For science!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    This whole conversation has inspired me to buy Star Wars.... the individual 2-disc DVD versions that included the original, unedited movie on the 2nd disc. Then I'm going to shred the discs with the "new and improved" movies on them. (Or probably not)
    edited September 2011
    Don't do that. The original cuts that are included are mastered from 1993 telecine tapes that were also used for the US LaserDisc release. Not even DVD quality.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    This whole conversation has inspired me to buy Star Wars.... the individual 2-disc DVD versions that included the original, unedited movie on the 2nd disc. Then I'm going to shred the discs with the "new and improved" movies on them. (Or probably not)

Ya that's the same set I have that I mentioned earlier in the thread. It get's the job done, quality is way better than the recorded from TNT extended length VHS copies we all grew up on. It gets the job done, and apparently now it sells used for $80. Too funny.
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG
    edited September 2011
    Part of the problem with the whole situation is that copyright law has been so twisted and bastardized. The original release, assuming the copyright date follows the release date, of A New Hope runs out of copyright protection very soon under the old laws. The new laws pretty much allow Lucas and Lucasfilm, Ltd to retain the rights in perpetuity.

Under the old law, an individual could obtain a copy of the original prints and do whatever they wanted, including releasing their own version of the film.
    edited September 2011
    Part of the problem with the whole situation is that copyright law has been so twisted and bastardized. The original release, assuming the copyright date follows the release date, of A New Hope runs out of copyright protection very soon under the old laws. The new laws pretty much allow Lucas and Lucasfilm, Ltd to retain the rights in perpetuity.

Under the old law, an individual could obtain a copy of the original prints and do whatever they wanted, including releasing their own version of the film.

Wut? Copyrights in the US provide 70 years of "economic" rights after the death of the owner at which point they become public domain.

Edit: I was wrong, it's 70 years not 50.
    Edit2:
    "In the case of an anonymous work, a pseudonymous work, or a work made for hire, the copyright endures for a term of 95 years from the year of its first publication, or a term of 120 years from the year of its creation, whichever expires first. "
    http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/17/302.html
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Might want to research how it became 70 years, or 120 years anonymously.
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    Might want to research how it became 70 years, or 120 years anonymously.

Didn't mean to throw this thread in a weird direction, but are we talking about the 1976 vs 1998 copyright acts?
    Neither of them seem new to me, and I also don't understand which would make any of those films public domain any time soon.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    For the quarter of a person that hasn't seen these.
  • edited September 2011
    Reason #11 to not buy the Blue-ray release? It won't have this:

<object width="630" height="502"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8zIYY_zUx0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/S8zIYY_zUx0?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="630" height="502" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
    (You're welcome.)
  • edited September 2011
    Koreish wrote:
    For the quarter of a person that hasn't seen these.

They haven't done a Plinkett review in months. :\
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I won't buy it because it's not this

Star-Trek--The-Next-Generation---Complete-Series-%281987%29.jpg
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Canti wrote:
    I won't buy it because it's not this

What, you mean this?

B80Oa.jpg

Disclaimer: while trolling, I did enjoy the new Star Trek reboot movie. Deal with it.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    The original Star Trek is awful. As such I haven't seen the movie, but I hear it's good.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    You haven't seen the 2009 movie because the 60s series was bad? FLAWLESS VICTORY.
  • edited September 2011
    I too don't like any of the changes he made, the NOOOO, the ewok eyes, everything was unnecessary. But I probably will still buy the blu-ray 9-cd edition, because of the extra stuff they've added, the never before seen, deleted/alternate scenes, commentaries, parodies, the making of star wars, behind the scenes, etc, all the good stuff. I'll but it so that at least I will have an HD widescreen crystal-clear quality blu-ray copy of the saga, even though with the edits they made, and who knows they'll only sell them for a certain time. Or maybe because I've never had a hard copy of the movies, I have the 1997 and 2004 reissues along with the original unaltered theatrical trilogy on my hard disk, downloaded from torrent. I know all of the true fans don't like the stuff they put in the original trilogy, I know that I don't. But c'mon this should be every fan's dream! To have the complete saga on blu-ray, hd, crystal-clear quality, the last of the star wars hard copies there will ever be! Well what if they will never really make HD copies of the original unaltered trilogy? At least you have the blu-ray, and even if you don't like it, as a fan, you should still buy it, at least for the record! It's like a collector's item, know what I'm sayin'? I'd totally but it, not because I like the shit they added to the movies, but because of the extra stuff, and for the record that I have the saga on blu-ray, the last ever version there will ever be, it's not that I like the empire, I hate it, but there's nothing I can do about it right now. And who knows that it's really not that bad, and that there are a lot more surprises to it, you'll never know, unless you buy it, which I'm gonna do, and I know that I will not regret it, I actually can't wait for the release.
  • Romad317Romad317 Member
    edited September 2011
    Jack:
    Will it have the now infamous "Christmas Special"?
    'Cause no REAL Star Wars colection is complete without Bea Arthur
    edited September 2011
    They haven't done a Plinkett review in months. :\

That might be because it takes a really long time to produce them most especially editing. Plus they do a bunch of other stuff as well. The Half in the Bag series is good enough to tide me over until another Plinkett review comes out.
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    <iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/USwTolALBM0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    edited September 2011
    Ya that's the same set I have that I mentioned earlier in the thread. It get's the job done, quality is way better than the recorded from TNT extended length VHS copies we all grew up on. It gets the job done, and apparently now it sells used for $80. Too funny.
    http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG

That won't even have the original cut of the movies. The original cut was only included in the individual DVDs. The box set didn't have them. I actually already have the 2-disc DVD Empire with the original cut on the 2nd disc. Just watched it the other night (after posting here). Yeah, it doesn't look great, but at least it's not the Lucasized edition of the movie.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    That won't even have the original cut of the movies. The original cut was only included in the individual DVDs. The box set didn't have them. I actually already have the 2-disc DVD Empire with the original cut on the 2nd disc. Just watched it the other night (after posting here). Yeah, it doesn't look great, but at least it's not the Lucasized edition of the movie.

Are they not all Lucasized editions? :confused2
    edited September 2011
    Yeah, I couldn't come up with anything better. Sue me.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    reason #11:

xWweh.gif
    edited September 2011
    Alderaan shot first.
    edited September 2011
    trooster89 wrote:
    <iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/USwTolALBM0&quot; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is brilliant.
    edited September 2011
    ardichoke wrote:

It does have the unedited originals on the bonus discs.