Running

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I love stacking long runs back to back. I put two or three long runs in the middle of my week. It just feels right for me.
  • LazarusXeroLazarusXero Illinois Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Ok... so I have officially ran my first 1/2 marathon this morning. Much to my surprise, I felt really good at the end. I compare this to my first ever 5k finish earlier this year when I wanted to vomit, tear off my legs, curl up into a ball and weep.

But today was different; I finished in what I considered a respectable time of 1:52:15 which comes out to be a 8:35/mi pace. Just last week I timed myself and ended at 1:59:30, so I think shaving off 7 minutes wasn't too shabby.

But now the fun begins... On October 29, I run my first ultra-marathon (50k) and I am getting into the tough training now. For the next 6 weeks, each long run increases by 2 miles from 16 miles this coming weekend to 26 miles which will be the longest run before the actual event.

Will I make it? Will I finish? I have no clue. I'll give it a shot, but considering that before this year I had yet to run 2 miles consecutively, I think I've done ok so far...
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Did my first 5k race on Sunday, Marrell Bare Foot 5k. It was a lot of fun.

I was excited to see that I definitely run faster when I have people to chase so I did it in probably my fastest time ever 21.20. I finished in probably around 20-22nd and I was one of 30 of 100+ total racers that actually did it barefooted so I was happy with that.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    That's awesome! Congrats! How sore were your feet afterwards?
    edited August 2011
    Dirty.
    edited September 2011
    Oh, how sore? Not very.
  • pseudonympseudonym Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Ok... so I have officially ran my first 1/2 marathon this morning. Much to my surprise, I felt really good at the end. I compare this to my first ever 5k finish earlier this year when I wanted to vomit, tear off my legs, curl up into a ball and weep.

But today was different; I finished in what I considered a respectable time of 1:52:15 which comes out to be a 8:35/mi pace. Just last week I timed myself and ended at 1:59:30, so I think shaving off 7 minutes wasn't too shabby.

But now the fun begins... On October 29, I run my first ultra-marathon (50k) and I am getting into the tough training now. For the next 6 weeks, each long run increases by 2 miles from 16 miles this coming weekend to 26 miles which will be the longest run before the actual event.

Will I make it? Will I finish? I have no clue. I'll give it a shot, but considering that before this year I had yet to run 2 miles consecutively, I think I've done ok so far...

You are a sick, sick man ;D

Good luck!
    edited September 2011
    pseudonym wrote:
    You are a sick, sick man ;D

Good luck!

Going for 16 miles this morning... yeah... it's a sickness
    edited September 2011
    Laz you should come do the Fifth Third Riverbank run in Grand Rapids. I'm going to do the 25k. Its in May.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Good tips, thanks. I also use RunKeeper for the iPhone ...

Another big upvote for Runkeeper.

Seeing Rex run sub 5 min miles in XC guilted me into running more than the standard Navy 3.0 mile a year club. We've done a Warrior Dash which was a blast and I plan on doing a Tough Mudder, but that long distance stuff looks a wee bit extreme for me.
    edited September 2011
    MAGIC wrote:
    Laz you should come do the Fifth Third Riverbank run in Grand Rapids. I'm going to do the 25k. Its in May.

I'll keep that on my list for next year. The hard thing is going to be keeping in shape during winter, but 25k isn't too bad; just about 16 miles I believe. I'll be running until November, then I'll join my company's gym and do 3-5 miles a couple times a week to keep going through Dec to March. Then in March I'll start hitting the trail again and start putting on the miles.

I did 18 miles this morning and have a 20-miler next Saturday. While I'm really proud of getting all of these long runs accomplished, I'm getting to the point where I want this 50k to be here and done. These runs are getting silly. I was going for 2 hours and 55 minutes this morning (the weather reading was 94% humidity when I left the house). And after each one, I'm just super exhausted... I just can't ingest enough calories during my running days anymore.
    edited September 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Another big upvote for Runkeeper.

Seeing Rex run sub 5 min miles in XC guilted me into running more than the standard Navy 3.0 mile a year club. We've done a Warrior Dash which was a blast and I plan on doing a Tough Mudder, but that long distance stuff looks a wee bit extreme for me.

Just so you know, that was the exact thing that scared me about the TM too (aside from the electricity, fire, water, and complete and utter failure), but the running wasn't too bad. You'll find that if you start in the 3rd or 4th heat for the day (about 9:40 or 10:00am) there will be a line before a majority of the obstacles. That means a good rest break. Ours was 10 - 12 miles long (estimates differ) and it took us 3-1/2 hours to complete. To put that in perspective, I just ran 18 miles in 3 hours. So you have approx. 1 hour of just waiting around time in the race which sounds like a lot, but it's needed.

They also have a cute little sign at the 5k point that says, "WARRIOR DASH FINISH!!!! Too bad you signed up for the Tough Mudder. You still have 7 miles to go!" :) I thought it was funny.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thanks, LX. It's the running that gets me. I did SERE school and other military schools that inflict pain/discomfort/sleeplessness to train us. Just need to get myself in a more regular work schedule...4 miles tomorrow!
    edited September 2011
    20 mile training run tomorrow morning... Only about a month and a half til the 50k... I don't think I'll have enough training time... :(
    edited September 2011
    Training for a 50k is the same as for a marathon. You got this on lock, remember all you have to do to win is finish.
    edited September 2011
    Do what you can, then when the day comes... just run. It's probably not going to kill you, probably.
    edited September 2011
    the 20 miles was probably my best long run (>13.1 mi.) I've had yet. 3:11:00. Stayed well hydrated, no walking (except for water/gatoraid stations) and pulled off a negative split with the first 10 miles at 10 min/mi and the second 10 miles at just over 9 min/mi.

W00T!!1!

This coming saturday is 22 miles, the week after is 24 and then the last long run before the race is 26 miles on Oct. 8th.

Almost there!
    edited September 2011
    That's great man, nice work.
    edited September 2011
    Finished up 22 this morning... 3 hours 27 minutes... only 2 more long runs before I can taper... Nice weather today though... started at 50F and ended at 58F.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    edited October 2011
    Well folks... my running season has come to a close. I finished my first ultra-marathon today (50km - 31 mi). My final time was 5 hours 24 minutes which is an average of 10:27/mi. Considering I had never ran a standard marathon, I also made sure to note the time I crossed 26.2 miles. This was 4:27 or 10:12/mi.

This year has been interesting. I didn't start it with a goal of even doing any of this. I started running so I didn't make an ass of myself during my Tough Mudder and from then I continued training to see what I could push myself to do. So this year I can officially write the book on "Couch to 50k".

I'm glad I'm done.

Can't wait til next year. :)
    edited October 2011
    See you at Western States 100. ;)
    edited November 2011
    Well folks... my running season has come to a close. I finished my first ultra-marathon today (50km - 31 mi). My final time was 5 hours 24 minutes which is an average of 10:27/mi. Considering I had never ran a standard marathon, I also made sure to note the time I crossed 26.2 miles. This was 4:27 or 10:12/mi.

This year has been interesting. I didn't start it with a goal of even doing any of this. I started running so I didn't make an ass of myself during my Tough Mudder and from then I continued training to see what I could push myself to do. So this year I can officially write the book on "Couch to 50k".

I'm glad I'm done.

Can't wait til next year. :)

That is very cool man, congrats.
    edited November 2011
    MAGIC wrote:

I just got the news and unfortunately, I won't be able to run the 5/3 Riverbank in May. For some reason, my sister wants me to see her graduate from college and the ceremony is the same day... :mad2:

But if there is another race or 1/2 marathon I would definitely consider it...

I am putting together a team for the ToughMudder in Minnesota next year though... that would be the next weekend (May 19/20)... you're welcome to join the team if you want!! (this is open for other Icrontians too!!)
    Ran 5 miles on Christmas Eve and then 3 this morning... definitely very cold outside, but it feels good to be back outside... I have definitely noticed a huge drop off in my endurance as I haven't run since my 50k, but I'm getting back into it again... I have signed up for a ~250mi relay race for June, so I need to keep up with it, but even though it sounds terrible, I'm not too worried about it... in a 12 person team, each person only runs three legs, which is about 15 miles across a 30 hour time frame...

http://www.ragnarrelay.com/race/chicago
    Stayed up for New Years this time instead of sleeping, went and did my Saturday run during the year end.

Items like these make me feel something. I just want to be there and experience, nothing else matters except to keep moving.
    It was 67F this afternoon when I got home and I just had to get out and run again. I've been out 3 times in the last week for small runs (3-4 miles) but it felt awesome to be back on the trails and roads again... Next week is my first 5k of the season and soon training will begin for the year... I decided to sign up for Chicago's marathon as well as the Tough Mudder and the Ragnar Relay... going to be a busy year!
    Necro. Who is still running? I am posting my runs to Runkeeper and Garmin Connect, unless my watch decides not to pick up a signal. If anyone is interested in creating a group let me know.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    Weather is nice so I started running again this week. I went out Wednesday and Friday for about 3 miles.