Cooling the Sandy Bridge 2600K

MJOMJO Denmark New
edited October 2011 in Hardware
Hi

I have recently received my Sandy Bridge build.
I had a limited assortment of HSF's to choose from, and I chose the Cooler Master V8.
And is it just me or is that a craptacular piece of cooling hardware?
It is big, it is heavy and it is kinda pretty with red LED and all.
But it cannot cool anything when You turn up the heat. :range:

I have been testing using Coretemp and Intel Burn Test, and it seems that you cannot OC very far before the temps gets way to high.
According to coretemp I have been seeing spikes at 80C at 4,6 GHz at 1.38-1.40 Vcore. It simply runs hot and that is with the fan at max.
Have anyone else tried this HSF and can verify it's mediocrity? :(
By reading reviews I have gathered that it is a mid-range HSF but I am surprised.
Maybe I will be reseating it this weekend, I had some trouble applying the TIM.
But the idle temps are quite low according to Coretemp apprx. 32C.
And the temperature falls quite rapidly when You go from full load as well. It must be doing something at least...

I am looking for another solution perhaps water.
Would the Corsair H80 be a better choice. And most important will I be able to take this baby higher. In other words get a rock solid OC, without frying anything. I have learned that the Intel CPU's are somewhat more sensitive in regard to heat compared to AMD. 75C was never an issue. :)
It can run at 4.9 GHz, but when I use the Burn Tool it gets way to hot.
I can game and run 3Dmark though, but they are not all that CPU intensive.

Sorry for the lenghty post but I had to tell the whole story. :)

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    It would be very hard to go wrong with the Noctua NH-D14. Just make sure you have the room for it.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    this ^
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    It would be very hard to go wrong with the Noctua NH-D14. Just make sure you have the room for it.
    I use this for both bench platforms. Well worth the asking price.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    As alternatives, the Prolimatech Genesis is a bitchin' heatsink, too.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    As alternatives, the Prolimatech Genesis is a bitchin' heatsink, too.

Thanks, Thrax. I agree from the pictures and specs-- again, if you have room for the heatsink and large fans.

For others: http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=801&page=1 will show you the heatsink and give some info about it.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Not to be left out, the THERMALRIGHT SILVER ARROW is Thermalright's answer to the Noctura and beats it by an average of 2 degrees C under max load.
  • MJOMJO Denmark New
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    But they are all very heavy. Meaning that it can be risky moving the rig.
    Not that I am doing it much, but sometimes it is necessary. :)
    The Noctua and the Thermalright has received great reviews, but they are big.
    The V8 is a big heavy beast as well and that speaks for water cooling. It will free up some space and not be as bulky. (if using Corsair H80 for example)

I will try to install the V8 again, my temps seems to be way too high, even with this HSF. Could be the thermal paste I had some trouble installing the unit.
    Could have used three hands. :);D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    MJO wrote:
    Thanks for the recommendations.
    But they are all very heavy. Meaning that it can be risky moving the rig.
    Not that I am doing it much, but sometimes it is necessary. :)
    The Noctua and the Thermalright has received great reviews, but they are big.
    The V8 is a big heavy beast as well and that speaks for water cooling. It will free up some space and not be as bulky. (if using Corsair H80 for example)

I will try to install the V8 again, my temps seems to be way too high, even with this HSF. Could be the thermal paste I had some trouble installing the unit.
    Could have used three hands. :);D
    I've moved both systems with the Noctua installed. It's not a big deal. The mounting kit makes sure things don't fall off. If a system goes in a car, just make sure it's laying with the motherboard side down.
  • SuperStrifeSuperStrife Florida
    edited September 2011
    2 things that might help you use the smaller sink are increased airflow from case fans (add more fans, turn up the existing ones, or get higher airflow fans) , and double checking that the airflow direction is correct in your case.

Like everyone else is mentioning though, the big beefy coolers are the way to go if you want to clock higher. There really isnt that much force on the coolers as you move them, most of your weight is at the CPU chip, so its transferred as compression onto the mobo, not torque against the board.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I put an H80 on a 2500K yesterday. I'm running P95 full bore now at 4.8, the highest temp I've seen in almost 24 hours straight at tweaking this thing is 71C, average load is more like 66C. The block itself is super simple to mount, the rad and fans were a bit of a PITA...partially due to the fact that I screwed up (forgot to put my case fan in up top) and had to do what is essentially a 4 handed job twice, 2 handed *lol*

So far I'm liking it. 'Net reviews and reports are good. Just be aware that there's a recall on some batches of H100's over the pumps and/or fan controllers. I'm not trying to foreshadow or speak ill of Corsair - I *DID* buy the product - but it wouldn't shock me if these ended up on a recall list somewhere down the road...same factory, parts in common, etc etc.

My one and only bitch is that the hoses could be a touch longer - with another 1", I could have put it in my 5.25" drive bay, with another 2" I could have put it down front where the big 200mm fan is.
    660T-Detail.jpg

Ooooh lookit the purdy cable management. Corsair 600T, it rocks hard in that department.
    660T-Done.jpg
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Wow keto that is by far one of the nicer builds I've seen. I love how clean it is.
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Behind the backplate it's an absolute snakepit LOL. But the sides bulge slightly from the frame (slightly rounded), so there's plenty of wire-hiding room. And tie-down points on the rear of the backplate, for zip ties or twist ties etc. I might not have been clear above, the case is a Corsair 600T. Also comes in white.