How to: Root a Nook Color, install CyanogenMod 7, and overclock it

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Keeps throwing an unable to download error. I have plenty of free space on the SD and a solid wifi connection.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Keeps throwing an unable to download error. I have plenty of free space on the SD and a solid wifi connection.

Reboot the device and try again or check back in a couple hours. Sometimes the image server is offline for maintenance.
    edited September 2011
    Reboot fixed it all, of course.

Is there any way to make the android gallery not suck? I noticed it took forever to load images on my G1, but I just wrote it off as the hardware wasn't up to the advanced version of Android gallery. I dumped some images to my SD card and noticed that the Nook isn't much faster at loading the collective images.
    edited September 2011
    There are alternative gallery apps on the market that are much better. Install one, then delete Gallery with AntTek App Manager (a good app to delete otherwise unremovable apps with).
    edited September 2011
    Is there a way to force install apps that are not compatible with the NC? Enhanced email, for instance, will not let me install from the app market on the device. If I try to grab it from market.android.com, it only lets me select my G1.

This same behavior happens for quite a few apps, such as astrid task manager, Documents to Go, Angry Birds, and such.
    edited September 2011
    Please refer to the "HELP! The market says all the apps are incompatible!" section of the tutorial.
    edited September 2011
    Derp. I'm an idiot.
    edited September 2011
    Thrax, huge thanks for the instructions and all the help you've given all of us on this thread. This tablet is spectacular, and the whole process has been ridiculously easy for me because of the tutorial. Beer's on me next time we get together.
    edited September 2011
    Is it possible to make a Launcher 7 tile that goes directly to a specified webpage in the browser?
    edited September 2011
    Not to my knowledge, unless there's a third-party app that can create custom shortcuts, which you link to the tile.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If you make a bookmark shortcut on the screen (usually long-press -> shortcut -> bookmark), you should be able to use Desktop Visualizer to resize and change its icon. From my playing around with Launcher 7, the tiles are just standard shortcuts, but with larger boxes, right? Unless there's a fundamental difference, that should work.
    edited September 2011
    After a long day of photoshopping and thinking, here are all of my custom icons:

bvoYV.png

I need to tweak the calendar icon so you can actually read the text (it's the one with Woody and Professor X), and I have yet to create G+ and Facebook icons.

Pretty happy with how it turned out. Totally worth the effort. Also, I recreated the custom boot animation I made for my G1 to conform to the NC's screen.
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Just got my NC today, will be using this thread shortly :)
    edited September 2011
    I manged to eff it up.

I updated the ROM this morning when the update came through. After rebooting, Gmail crashed constantly and made things become unresponsive every once in awhile. After trying, unsuccessfully, to fix it, I decided to try and reinstall the Gmail app. Don't know what I was thinking.

So after uninstalling it, I found that I couldn't reinstall it. Couldn't enter the Android market because it wasn't recognizing an account attached to the device. I tried going to the market website and saw that it wouldn't let me install it, because the market thought I had already installed it to the device.

After Googling around and seeing that I could have solved the initial problem with a cache wipe, users were finding success in restoring their ROM. So I backed up the ROM, then tried restoring it to a previous backup. Thing is, my backup was from day one, and after it was restored, I didn't expect all of my apps and settings to have reset as well.

So I tried to restore back to my post-GMail uninstallation point. When selecting that restore point and rebooting, the NC goes into CWM and begins the restoration. It only gets to "reading MD5" or something like that, then just boots back into CM7 with the old restore point still in affect.

How effed am I?
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Um, in this case if it said MD5 Checksum, CWM is failing to tell you the restore data you want restored from is probably corrupt or missing stuff. The sudden exit is because a MD5 Checksum mismatch is fatal to CWM restore process probably-- it might write an error to a log though. Thrax might explain further and tell you how to fix.
    edited September 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I manged to eff it up.

I updated the ROM this morning when the update came through. After rebooting, Gmail crashed constantly and made things become unresponsive every once in awhile. After trying, unsuccessfully, to fix it, I decided to try and reinstall the Gmail app. Don't know what I was thinking.

So after uninstalling it, I found that I couldn't reinstall it. Couldn't enter the Android market because it wasn't recognizing an account attached to the device. I tried going to the market website and saw that it wouldn't let me install it, because the market thought I had already installed it to the device.

After Googling around and seeing that I could have solved the initial problem with a cache wipe, users were finding success in restoring their ROM. So I backed up the ROM, then tried restoring it to a previous backup. Thing is, my backup was from day one, and after it was restored, I didn't expect all of my apps and settings to have reset as well.

So I tried to restore back to my post-GMail uninstallation point. When selecting that restore point and rebooting, the NC goes into CWM and begins the restoration. It only gets to "reading MD5" or something like that, then just boots back into CM7 with the old restore point still in affect.

How effed am I?

Effed enough that you might as well wipe everything and start over.

I suspect you didn't clear cache/dalvik cache before applying the new nightly? This is what causes the crashes you experience. You have to do the same thing when you restore a backup, too.
    edited September 2011
    I did clear the cache, actually. It prompted me before it restarted and I had it clear the cache.

It's no big deal. I'd rather learn the hard way after only having the thing for a week. All of the apps I had are stored in the market, and the custom stuff won't be hard to reapply.
    edited September 2011
    Apparently there's a problem somewhere in ROM manager. Maybe. I dunno. Regardless, I did this, and I fixed it. Totally restored my non-Gmail state.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I just want to verify if switching out the MicroSD card will cause any trouble? I only have an 8GB card right now and next month I might go for a 32GB card instead.
    edited September 2011
    Nothing to worry about. Just do it while the Nook is off.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Been playing with the nook for a couple days now, I like it! Having trouble with a couple minor things as I half expected from a refurb'd piece. The volume up button is f'd, and trying to press the search icon at the top of the screen in areas such as the market is as difficult as hell, sometimes it works, most the time it doesn't or lags for several seconds and force closes the application running.

The device as a whole lags somewhat, but is bearable. I wasn't expecting too much anyways.

All in all though, I like it and it does what I want. Just need to get my Plex Media Server working on it now though, works on my phone but I want it on this device now.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    looking forward to Thrax's "how to root an amazon kindle fire"

I was going to get a nook or two for Alidra and I, but I think I will wait now
    edited October 2011
    Kindle Fire launches in mid-November, and I suspect we'll have a viable Ice Cream Sandwich install by late January. Sooner for early dev builds, but not stable. Definitely going to get one.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I wonder if it's just me, I mentioned it before but it's turning into a bit of an annoyance quicker than I thought it would. But this lag time in the nook is killing me now, it's not getting worse it's just bad in general. A good example is the market, simply scrolling is difficult, and sliding from something like Paid Apps to Free Apps or Categories can take 10 seconds and I will not be sure if it's actually locked up or moving so if I try sliding again or pressing the back button then it will do just that once it finally does respond making it annoying.

I'm not sure where to start troubleshooting this, or if it's expected. I thought from benchmarks shown in another thread that this device would be about par with my MyTouch 4G although the Nook does have a somewhat higher resolution.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Are you on stock, recommended CM7 or a specific nightly?
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    Are you on stock, recommended CM7 or a specific nightly?

I posted a bench here. I am running CM7 Nightly 207
    edited October 2011
    Did you overclock? The stock Nook is slow as balls on the Market.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I did everything in your guide... CF Bench shows it running at 1100MHz, but I am gonna spend some time today trying other MOD's. I'm also trying to see if I can get Plex to work which doesn't seem to like something about Cyanogen.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    I have no issues flipping pages in market on CM nightly (17x ... don't recall number) with 800MHz max, conservative governor. Less <1 second redraw times.
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    edited October 2011
    Done and Done, Thank You Thrax!