mertesnmertesn I am Bobby MillerYukon, OK Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Mmmm, Vertex 3.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    What motherboard and/or SATA3 controller did you use?
  • edited October 2011
    My vertex 2 is lucky I like it, or I'd replace it due to this review lol.
  • TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Believe it or not, I'm thinking of getting a Vertex 3 SSD for the boot drive in my next gaming PC. Speeds have gone up and prices have come down enough for me to consider them. I'm thinking a 128 GB model would be good for me, with a couple 1 TB drives for storage.

The article mentions a P67 chipset, I wonder if some of the newer chipsets do better or worse with SSDs than others.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Adding this to my wish list. Great review, Nick! :D
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    What motherboard and/or SATA3 controller did you use?
    It was an ECS P67H2-A2 using the native Intel controller. I also have results from the AMD 890FX and AMD A75M systems. The numbers aren't in front of me, but I recall them being somewhat comparable.
  • edited October 2011
    This review is about as unbiased and impartial as a PIG selling sausages.... Anyhow, who actually believes benchmarks represent the real live speeds, deserves to be ripped off.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This review is about as unbiased and impartial as a PIG selling sausages.... Anyhow, who actually believes benchmarks represent the real live speeds, deserves to be ripped off.

I NO RITE!!!!!!!!!111
    No reputable tech sites use benchmarks to review things, well all know that benchmarking is a garbage concept. I really prefer personal opinions based on 1-10 scales.

Also, no other sausage exists besides pork based sausage. Ever.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This review is about as unbiased and impartial as a PIG selling sausages....

Was your analogy meant to be ironic? Why would a pig sell sausages? Wouldn't it be asking for death?
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Internet tough guy alert
    edited October 2011

Sure I used some synthetic benchmarks, but here's where you argument falls apart: Real usage cases were used. Windows boot times, Crysis level loading, copying files to/from the SSDs - all common tasks. Even PCMark Vantage's HDD suite uses real applications for testing.

So where's your evidence that I'm misrepresenting anything?
    edited October 2011
    He has none. He's just another pissed off, mentally unstable Internet Tough Guy.
  • edited October 2011
    I have enough proof, real time testing, is using reported figures by Operative systems, sure no doubt you gain boot times and access speeds improve but nothing as dramatic as benchmark products present as results.

However it is my experience with Sandforce vertex 2 drives that the advertised speeds vs real time speeds is half of what the benchmarks show, especially as main OS drive, I have discussed this with OCZ in great lengths via email and provided them with proof, even using the intel AHCI driver, instead of 250MB/s you get at best 100Mb/s slowly declining to 70MB/s on sata2 controllers.

@primesupect, please keep your derogatory, offensive remarks to yourself, verbal abuse? Really? Please!!! We all watched lethal weapon, your the internet coward, come around to my neighborhood and insult me to my face.
  • edited October 2011
    still think im going to go for an m4
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    So, if you're getting less than 100MB/s, you're actually doing it wrong. I know this must be hard for you to accept, being one of those people who obviously jump to ridiculous conclusions that everyone else knows is wrong, but that's the case. You had a bad drive (unlikely), or you simply fail at testing a hard drive.

Either way, -1 point for being one of those Internet tough guys that tells everyone to say things to their face. What are you going to do? Beat him up? LOL. What a joke.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Lol. Filipe, primesuspect is from Detroit. He'll gladly tell you to your face. He'll slap your mother. He'll shoot your dog. In the back. Without shedding a single tear. Because he's one mean mother. He's the baddest man in the whole damn town. Badder than old King Kong. Meaner than a junkyard dog.
    edited October 2011
    I have enough proof, real time testing, is using reported figures by Operative systems, sure no doubt you gain boot times and access speeds improve but nothing as dramatic as benchmark products present as results.

However it is my experience with Sandforce vertex 2 drives that the advertised speeds vs real time speeds is half of what the benchmarks show, especially as main OS drive, I have discussed this with OCZ in great lengths via email and provided them with proof, even using the intel AHCI driver, instead of 250MB/s you get at best 100Mb/s slowly declining to 70MB/s on sata2 controllers.
    I also own multiple Vertex 2 SSDs of various sizes. I have seen none of the performance issues you claim. How do I re-create the circumstances that cause your sub-par performance? I'd like to see if it really does work.
  • edited October 2011
    @mertesn

http://bit.ly/qXjAnd

that a review on tomshardware...

recreating I suppose its a question of using same motherboard same hdd same cpu and same ram same drivers same firmware etc (they all have some effect on SSD/HDD performance). a pastebin of the specs http://pastebin.com/UGhvBUd1. Its been confirmed that a degradation occurs very quickly.

Now to put this at rest hybrid drives do perfom much more consistently and suffer no such degradation, according to tomshardware a new bios is on the works to address this.

As a side suggestion comments should go under moderation before being shown, We all love freespeech not freesheep and all.

keeping ontopic...
  • edited October 2011
    Is the scale on the ATTO tests wrong? It looks like it should be Speed in bytes/s.

Personally, I'd like to see some tests that use uncompressable data to really test these SandForce controllers.

Filipe, your experience may dissuade you from OCZ's Vertex 2 drives, but others have had great experiences with them. You can't assume that one drive is representative of the whole.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Filipe, if you want SSD reviews by people who understand their complexities, look to The Tech Report or Olin's work at Benchmark Reviews if you don't trust Icrontic's stance. THG's credibility is hit-and-miss at best.
  • edited October 2011
    mertesn

here's a test system

http://pastebin.com/hQQQFHta

Over 28 drives and all of same were used tested found faulty rma'ed total SSD's on this system 1 (OS drive) others are all hybrid or plain mechanical, outperforming by miles vertex2.

On other Systems varied configurations, further issues of similar failures and degradation.

Why is OCS vertex2 a warning IMHEO is regarding other professional opinions and reviews like http://bit.ly/qXjAnd @ TomsHardware who are IMO a knowledgeable trustworthy unbiased source of information, looking at the products as a whole and not as they perform fro the duration of testing.

duraz0rz

Yes incompressible data like i.e. .AVI etc are a good test, however its not just attos we looking at, according to OCZ (Eric Ryder)they use attos and AS SSD to publish the figures published on website, another bit of obscure info that I didn't know until I presented attos benchs

Just received a rma form to send back yet aother drive which on benchmarks its all fine but in real life is not as advertised by a long shot, and this is from OCZ themselves, not from any online/internet reviewer etc.

All I say is beware not all that glitters is gold.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Filipe, it is encouraging that you're engaging in discussion rather than taking a non-member shot across the bow with as many folks tend to do on our site with comments like your first.

However, you still haven't addressed my question in regard to your analogy. In my opionion, a pig would not sell sausages out of self interest; rather, it would likely behave like the cows in Chik-Fil-A advertising by attempting to sell the meat products produced from other animals, in order to ensure its own survival.
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Perhaps the pig is actually a spy. I'm sure it was smart enough to make a secret deal with the carnivores to persuade other pigs to the slaughter, while enjoying protection and luxurious kickbacks.
    edited June 2012
    Just got one today. I upgraded from a WD Raptor 10K that topped out at 56mb/s on ATTO.

From that, to this:

I cannot describe how much faster my computer is. What the fuck.

Buy one NOW.
    Agreed. On most systems now the storage is the only real bottleneck, and upgrading to an SSD makes all the difference in the world. I put the Vertex 3 in my laptop as the boot drive and use a Seagate Momentus XT as my data drive. I will never go back to a spinner as a primary boot device.