Zambezi build

Comments

• edited October 2011
    im not comparing vs. intel as we know most bentmarks are optimized for blue.
    i was comparing it to k10, and why it had lower performance.

this might be the issue and fix is via a patch, http://bit.ly/qs7e03
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Ol_Scratch wrote:
    Sorry I'm late, busy making deals on Wall Street. Lets see here... Cliff.... hmmm, sorry but you're going to have to pay me to take that soul.

But, but..... I'll do anything!
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    uCKr6.jpg
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    uCKr6.jpg

Cool story bro
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    HNNNNGG!
    edited October 2011
    mertesn wrote:
    Cool story bro

I heard you have a cool story, too.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    I heard you have a cool story, too.
    Some say...
    edited October 2011
    Since Bulldozer is obviously eminent and my motherboard manufacturer is starting to roll out BIOS updates to accommodate AM3+ on my old AM3 socket, lets have a serious discussion about the want vs. need of swapping out my motherboard to accommodate the new FX processors.

I know that the AM3+ has some optimization in regards to power management that an AM3 socket with a BIOS flash will not necessarily accommodate. What are the other differences if any? What would a user that opts to flash their older AM3 board be missing vs. someone who goes the whole nine yards and puts one of these sexy new CPU's on an AM3+ board?

Approximately $170 and a dirty look from my wife :mean: hangs in the balance.....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    This level of anticipation reminds me of the Opteron days. Hell, that's when I met baby Thrax. :D
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Ok, ok, on with the story. We're close enough (w/in 12 hrs and counting) to release date.

Here is the quote of the day ...
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I'm a moron, I thought yesterday was the 11th so I was gonna stay up till midnight to see if I could catch some launch reviews before bed. Made it to 11:30 before I realized it was about to turn the 11th :bang head
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Hey Thrax!

Convince AMD to remake the Sledgehammer core with new tech and I will buy an entire tray! Go! Go!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    is that an 8100 Thrax? AMD couldn't even give you a 8170, pffft
    edited October 2011
    also can I get a breakdown of how/why Turbo frequency works and is there a way to just have the CPU run at the turbo freq all the time?
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    also can I get a breakdown of how/why Turbo frequency works and is there a way to just have the CPU run at the turbo freq all the time?

It disables idle cores to maintain the stock TDP while overclocking the active cores.

You can disable it and just straight overclock it to run full out all the time. I did this with my Phenom II X6.
    edited October 2011
    It disables idle cores to maintain the stock TDP while overclocking the active cores.

You can disable it and just straight overclock it to run full out all the time. I did this with my Phenom II X6.

so instead of C1E like on intel and lowering the frequency on all cores it just turns off cores not being used?
    edited October 2011
    http://tech.icrontic.com/news/amds-dynamic-overclocking-turbo-core/

Except with Bulldozer, cores can be turned on and off in sets of two. TurboCORE has also been expanded to include frequency boosts for all cores being active. I believe per-module (2x cores) voltage adjustment has also been added, but don't quote me on that.
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    http://tech.icrontic.com/news/amds-dynamic-overclocking-turbo-core/

Except with Bulldozer, cores can be turned on and off in sets of two. TurboCORE has also been expanded to include frequency boosts for all cores being active. I believe per-module (2x cores) voltage adjustment has also been added, but don't quote me on that.

why not just run all 8 cores at the max speed all the time and include a water cooling kit with the FXs

....oh wait :tongue:

Thanks for the link
    edited October 2011
    8core-water-cooler2.jpg
    edited October 2011
    It isn't Corsair or Antec. ;)
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:

oh those where just the two most mentioned in rumors. I knew when you said "neither" that you weren't denying water coolers with the FXs

Guess we'll find out soon how much more (if any) the water coooled FX's cost and if it's just a limited release, stock for the 8150, or just some AMD crazyness :)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    edited October 2011
    Thrax wrote:

Since Corsair and Antec does not manufacture water cooler kits either :wink:
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    8core-water-cooler2.jpg

Hey, that looks just like the package that showed up at my doorstep!
    edited October 2011
    asetek-cooler.jpg

$345 for FX8150 CPU w/ Watercooling Kit. Asetek

overclock-goals.jpg
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Lotta reviewers around the net having problems reaching those sortsa numbers, or haven't figured out how to do the dual core thang yet. 4.6-4.7 seems to be the magic number. At a HUGENORMOUS (that's right, I said it!) power cost, relative to its competitors. I'm not much of a 'green' but neither am I thrilled when I pay the power bill every month.
  • edited October 2011
    added winrar, 7-zip;
    added a few on the lost, disregarding bentmarks.
    [H] is relaunching 2600K today, lots of single thread and clock-for-clock comparisons.

so far i see BD doing well on the following:

-mainconcept http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=17
    -mediashow http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150-processor-review/14
    -vp8 http://www.guru3d.com/article/amd-fx-8150-processor-review/17
    -sha1
    -photoshop cs5 http://www.lostcircuits.com/mambo//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=102&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=14
    -winrar, improves over x6 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-16.html
    -7-zip same perf as 2600k
    edited October 2011
    keto wrote:
    Lotta reviewers around the net having problems reaching those sortsa numbers, or haven't figured out how to do the dual core thang yet. 4.6-4.7 seems to be the magic number. At a HUGENORMOUS (that's right, I said it!) power cost, relative to its competitors. I'm not much of a 'green' but neither am I thrilled when I pay the power bill every month.

Dual core isn't that difficult. It's all done in the UEFI, and there's an easy-to-find menu option for it. Many motherboards have had this capability for years - ever since the first "unlockable" triple core systems.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    If/when the 8150FX shows up at Newegg would someone please give me a "headsup"?
    edited October 2011