Which console would you buy?

RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming
Xbox or PS3?

I game mostly on my PC, but I am interested in some of the console stuff too.

Thanks.

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    This is a big question and one that will lead to 50/50 opinions. It's really dependent on what you want to do; what games you want to play, etc.

The first question is: Are there any console exclusives that you really want to play?

Next question: How important is the online gaming experience to you?

Third: Do you plan on using the console as a media center? Netflix, etc.?

Fourth: Do have or want to have a Blu-ray player?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I own an Xbox 360, but I found that all the games I could ever want to play are on the PC, too, so it ended up being a redundant purchase. If I could do it all over, I would get a PS3.

I actually enjoy my Wii the most, because it's the most different from the PC.
    edited September 2011
    I guess an important question is: What prompted this? Your motivation in asking could help answer that question.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    PS3 would be my choice, due to the questions posed by Brian. I've never had an Xbox (though a roommate did) and the reason I never felt the need was shown by Rob.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Prime hit the proverbial nail on the head four times in a row. Not knowing your answers to those questions, I would initially just say I LOVE our PS3s and strongly recommend that console. However, here are my caveats:
    1. The console games I play which aren't many (Rock Band, Uncharted, and Infamous) are all on the PS3.
    2. I never play online with consoles.
    3. The PS3 is FANTASTIC as a media center. In fact, it is the center of our media experience. Music, streamed movies, pictures, and music using PS3 Media Server (free btw), Netflix, Hulu, and Vudu are all awesome on the PS3.
    4. We have Blu-Ray Discs, so the Blu-Ray player was very important.
    edited September 2011
    Also: Are you interested in "retro" gaming, like SNES, NES, Genesis, etc.?
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    just buy both

also, shouldn't the "next" console be coming out? aren't the XboX and PS3 like 5 years old now?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    1) Console exclusives: not that I know of

2) Online is of little importance

3) No, not as a media center

4) I have a blu-ray player.

5) Retro gaming... probably.

I think the biggest reason is, I want to play games, but not in front of my PC. I sometimes avoid gaming, just because I have to sit here longer. I enjoying gaming, but I am tired of sitting in this chair, in this room.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    just buy both

also, shouldn't the "next" console be coming out? aren't the XboX and PS3 like 5 years old now?

I'm fairly certain that they're going for longer shelf lives on both of these consoles at this point. I'm pretty sure Microsoft has stated they want 6-7 years minimum out of this generation (and who can blame them with all the cash they dumped into the 360?).
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I have to echo what Thrax said - the Xbox 360 is a bit pointless if you own a PC. Sure, there are a few standout titles, but for the most part you'll find the good games are available (and a better experience) on PC.

I bought my PS3 a year ago, and though I don't play it extremely often, I'm VERY happy with the purchase. Great titles and exclusives, comfortable controller, interfaces well with my Sony TV, makes for a great media hub, and better graphics (trololololol). The Wii is fine too, but I would never trade in the PS3 for an Xbox.
    edited September 2011
    If retro gaming is your thing, definitely consider a Nintendo Wii. The Virtual Console library is immense.

That changes the equation a bit. The Xbox Live Arcade library is a lot more comprehensive than Sony's, although the Sony library is growing with some PS1 classics.

For your situation, I'd honestly recommend an Xbox 360; I think the online game library is the clincher; again, don't rule out Wii. It's a terribly fun, pure gaming experience.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I enjoy my 360, it ties in nicely with my windows PC(s) away from my computer monitor, which helps me alleviate the same issue you have: getting away from my desk. To counter Thrax's argument, there are enough games I particularly enjoy (Rockstar, looking at you) that are not available on PC, or are more enjoyable on the console to begin with.

The problem is everyone's taste will be different depending on the genre of games they enjoy most. Sports games, for instance, require a console. Strategy games, however, do not. That's an extreme example of what will drive your use for one or the other.

My thing would be this, IMO, console exclusives are almost a thing of the past. I say almost because there are maybe 4 games I can think of off the top of my head that aren't on the other system, but essentially have familiar counterparts anyway. Nearly everything else is simultaneously released for both PS3 and 360 at this point.

For a different perspective: My #1 question for what to buy this late in the game would be "what do my friends have?" I'd want something I can enjoy with other people. For me, that choice was 360.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Retro - Wii

there is a shitton of NES, SuperNES, Gamecube etc games on the Wii
    edited September 2011
    Console exclusives aren't a thing of the past on Nintendo ;)

Each platform has its heroes. Uncharted, Resistance, Little Big Planet will never be on 360, for example.
    edited September 2011
    Console exclusives aren't a thing of the past on Nintendo ;)

Each platform has its heroes. Uncharted, Resistance, Little Big Planet will never be on 360, for example.

That's okay, I've probably already played that same Nintendo game 4 times already on previous systems. /troll
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    5-6 years after the console comes out is the best time to buy one imo; they are cheap, games are cheap and there's a lot of them, technical issues are sorted out, there might be a souped up cool slim version that's better than the original and it costs less. Did I mention it's not as expensive?

Then again, PC gaming for life :rockon:
    edited September 2011
    Winfrey wrote:
    games are cheap

The only part of your statement I disagree with.

Old games, especially the good ones (The "gold" series or whatever) are still like $20. Console games are ridiculously priced, especially with the trend towards stupid high DLC prices and incomplete games being shipped.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    I suppose I should have qualified it as "games are cheaper", as in they aren't $70 anymore or whatever ridiculousness they charge now. Also you can get these games outside of retail sources which can save you more, so I stand by my statement.

Although you are right about the price of "classic" or greatest hits games. The only games on PC that stay at that high of price for as long are Blizzard games. They just never seem to get any cheaper.

As far as bang for your buck, PC has everyone beat. Especially with deals on Steam.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2011

Old games, especially the good ones (The "gold" series or whatever) are still like $20. Console games are ridiculously priced, especially with the trend towards stupid high DLC prices and incomplete games being shipped.

Unfortunately, greatest hit series titles this generation are actually $30. Ugh.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    If location is the issue, maybe a 3DS is the cure?
    edited September 2011

Particularly on Nintendo, I might add, too. They're horrible.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited September 2011
    Thanks guys.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    i find it much easier to play with friends on the Xbox 360, but i don't have a whole lot of experience with the PS3 (i dislike their controllers).
  • SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Xbox is better for online gaming even though you have to pay for a gold membership. I feel as though Xbox live is more polished and offers a better user experience. It also has some really fantastic arcade games for casual gaming with family, a love interest, parties and friends (screw the Oxford comma). I do own both consoles and I use my PS3 mainly for media and some exclusive titles, however Netflix on the Xbox also feels more polished and all around easier to use. My 2 cents... If you have a bluray player and just want something for casual gaming, netflix and a few big titles, go with the Xbox. It costs more in the long run due to the gold membership but Xbox out does PS3 in everything that they both can do.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    My opinion PS3.

A 360 stands a good chance of becoming a brick long before the next generation anyways. -Red Ring of Death-

However, when I was working at gamestop, I would tell people to look at the walls. You're best off getting the console that has more titles you like.
    edited October 2011
    cherplunka wrote:
    -Red Ring of Death-

By and large this is no longer the issue it once was, and shouldn't really be a factor in determining which console to purchase this late in the game.
    edited October 2011
    RROD is no longer relevant.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    If i didnt have a 360 already and all my friends didnt play on the xbox alone it would be a hard choice purely based on the console exclusives:
    360: Halo, GoW, Fable, Forza
    Ps3: God of War, Killzone, Little Big Planet, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Not just "by in large," but Red Ring of Death was universally solved with the Jasper hardware update, which happened over three years ago.
  • Bad-Mr-FrostyBad-Mr-Frosty Member
    edited October 2011
    Some ups and downs between them:
    Xbox:
    + online stuff is usually pretty good, i'd say it's better than the ps3's. Not talking about like connection and lag stuff, but you can have chat parties of up to 8? (possibly more) people, who don't necessarily have to be playing the same game. It's fun if you're playing the same single player game as your buddy and you're just talking about it.

+ i think downloading is better on xbox too? you can queue downloads and do other stuff on it while you wait, I usually play a single player game or an arcade game. Online multiplayer will pause your current download

+ arcade games. from what i've seen xbox seems to get more arcade games than ps3, and there are some really good ones on there. Some of them are available in other places now though, like Braid and Limbo.

- you can only use Microsoft brand memory units or hard drives for storing data.

- paying for online. You have to pay for certain features such as: Being able to join a chat party (you can only do one on one chat for free), playing online multiplayer, sometimes you have to wait a few days before you're allowed to download certain demos.

- signing in with profiles and stuff can be a pain if you have a bunch of people over. You can usually just be signed into on profile, then everyone signs into a guest. Still the process takes a few seconds and can slow it down really.

PS3:

+ exclusives

+ from what i've seen (sorry i don't own a ps3 lol), signing in when having multiple people is quick and easy.

+ USB ports. Xbox has them too, but they can actually do stuff for the ps3, like plugging in a keyboard for text chat.

+ blu ray is pretty sweet.

+ nothing too major, but i like that when you're selecting a game from the main menu the whole background changes. That's really cool.

+Free online multiplayer.

- i don't think ps3 comes with a headphone for talking online right? i think a lot of people just text talk. That's where the keyboard comes in

- i think you have to wait while you download demos and stuff right? you can't use your ps3 while you download stuff.

- the games have to install themselves on the hard drive the first time you play. I'm not sure if this shortens the loading times and stuff though, so it could also be a plus

I don't know much about the ps3, that's just info i've gathered from friends who own them. If anyone can correct my mistakes please do.