Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    Not trying to change your mind, yo. I'm indifferent to the matter. You drop a lot of comments here and there, though, so I was just sayin'.
    Are you implying that I'm broni-curious? I'm confident with my cartoonality, nothing wrong with that. I have nothing to hide. I don't hate bronies. I ain't no bronyist. I guess I don't understand the lifestyle. However, that doesn't mean I want to become one. One day bronies and non-bronies will coexist side-by-side without cartoon violence.

As long as you have love in your heart, Bobby, I'm all good in da hood.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    As long as you have love in your heart, Bobby, I'm all good in da hood.

<4 it's how we roll.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    I guess I don't understand the lifestyle.

>implying our lives revolve around Ponies.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Canti wrote:

I think he was running with the "lifestyle" analogy. ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Canti wrote:
    Well, yeah.
    edited October 2011
    Canti wrote:

>implying yours doesn't
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    uGdzMl.jpg
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited October 2011
  • edited October 2011
    Ah, but it is different in one important way... you mentioned that its no different than a bunch of nerds going on about Firefly or Dr. Who or Star Trek, but what about the obvious elephant in the room... that MEN are so into something that, even if Faust tries to dance around the idea, has a very deep feminine background?

I think the answer lies in in a generation who is helping shatter the paradigm of homophobia we're becoming trapped in. The show rocks, the community rocks, agreed... but I think theres an extra level of empowerment for males who just throw in the towel on those out there who try to bully sexual behavior by labeling them Gay. You openly love MLP and take part in it, you are liberating yourselves from that trap as well and making a social statement when you say "Ya I love it. Deal with it" and thats freaking great!
    edited October 2011
    It's funny rmw, that same thought has crossed my mind a few times.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    That's weird, I thought we broke the invisible barriers of homophobia by going to local pride fests, hanging out at the local gay bar, slapping our gay friends on the ass and saying them cheeks, or posting in the dude thread...

Ponies? No, ponies is just a way for me to remember not to grow up too fast. Sexuality has nothing to do with it.
    edited October 2011
    The only time I experience homophobia is when a gay person is trying to kill me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Ninja, I disagree; maybe it's because I live in a very blue collar area that is still very homophobic. I think rmw has brought up an excellent point; guys who are not homophobic feel empowered when confronted by those who are homophobic when they can say "MLP. Deal with it." it sends a signal: I'm not hung up on gender roles, back the fuck off.
    edited October 2011
    Ninja, I disagree; maybe it's because I live in a very blue collar area that is still very homophobic. I think rmw has brought up an excellent point; guys who are not homophobic feel empowered when confronted by those who are homophobic when they can say "MLP. Deal with it." it sends a signal: I'm not hung up on gender roles, back the fuck off.

But that's gender roles, not sexuality. I guess you are right though, it probably has a lot to do with where you're from. I just never thought about it that way
    :buck:
    You guys should all come visit lb.
    edited October 2011
    Gender roles have a GREAT deal to do with perceived sexuality in middle america, man. MY SON AIN'T GETTIN' NO EASY BAKE OVEN, HE AIN'T GON' BE NO GAY", etc.
    edited October 2011
    I live in complete disconnect. What does where nature tells me to put my penis have to do with if I like baking delicious treats or not?
    edited October 2011
    PirateNinja I'd like to introduce you to the entire state of Alabama :D
    edited October 2011
    And so on this day of Ten - Ten - Eleven, one man's cultural horizons were expanded, along with his understanding of human nature, all thanks to the Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much response thread.

Note to self: Don't pretend to enjoy things you normally enjoy while visiting Alabama. Instead observe the maturation of an entire population largely taught from childhood to do the same thing, note the consequences, and leave.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    But but...but look at all those delicious cookies! LOOK HOW HAPPY SHE IS!

easybakerecallpromoimage.jpg

Your son will NEVER be as happy as her Mr. Jethrobediah and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.
    edited October 2011
    ...in Amurica
    edited October 2011
    Dang, RMW just threw a huge curveball that I hadn't realized, yet makes perfect sense. I think that's a very good supportive positive to the whole MLP fandom.

Though cartoons in general for me are always a reminder to not grow up too fast. My desk with all of its action figures, my batman comic books, gratuitous board games, and all that serve as a constant reminder to me. I never wanted to outgrow the things I loved as a kid, and now that I'm grown, I've tossed out the standard conventions of 'adulthood', and I couldn't be happier.

It's funny, my roommate Tim who is, for lack of a better descriptive term, a normal 20-something dude that fits most the stereotypes gets confused when he sees me watching the new Avengers cartoon, or MLP, or sees the comic books on my desk. He not only sees the behavior as deviant, but also more or less wrong. He's known me for years though, so this isn't surprising to him - he just doesn't get it. And I couldn't care less.
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited October 2011
    I've gotta ask: how does one go about writing an article for this site? 'Cause I'd REALLY like to do a retrospective on previous MLP generations outlining the appeal they had and showing why it's not that weird that a My Little Pony series could be good.
    edited October 2011
    I've gotta ask: how does one go about writing an article for this site?

You should have a "Contribute to:" box on the Icrontic.com homepage which links to tech/gaming/life. You can write and submit stuff to the site through there.

If you don't, PM Brian or myself. Let's chat about it - the more writers, the merrier :D
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Canti wrote:
    But but...but look at all those delicious cookies! LOOK HOW HAPPY SHE IS!

Your son will NEVER be as happy as her Mr. Jethrobediah and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.

I love this thread SO MUCH.
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    You should have a "Contribute to:" box on the Icrontic.com homepage which links to tech/gaming/life. You can write and submit stuff to the site through there.

If you don't, PM Brian or myself. Let's chat about it - the more writers, the merrier :D
    "CONTRIBUTE TO" BOX, Y U NO EXIST?

edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:

They really should make that more obvious, all this time and I never knew.
    edited October 2011
    For all those of you who, like me, can't seem to find that button, here's a link that makes it 20% easier.

http://icrontic.com/writing-for-icrontic/
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    For all those of you who, like me, can't seem to find that button, here's a link that makes it 20% easier.
    I hope this makes it another 20%.
    edited October 2011
    So when you get to the Wordpress page...how do you make a new article? Do you need extra permissions for that?
    edited October 2011
    Once in Wordpress, you can write in the quickpost box to the right side of the main page. I hate quickpost, though, so I always use the "My Sites" link at the top > pick the relevant subcategory > New post.