If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    UPSLynx said:
    Not trying to change your mind, yo. I'm indifferent to the matter. You drop a lot of comments here and there, though, so I was just sayin'.
    Are you implying that I'm broni-curious? I'm confident with my cartoonality, nothing wrong with that. I have nothing to hide. I don't hate bronies. I ain't no bronyist. I guess I don't understand the lifestyle. However, that doesn't mean I want to become one. One day bronies and non-bronies will coexist side-by-side without cartoon violence.

As long as you have love in your heart, Bobby, I'm all good in da hood.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Kwitko said:

As long as you have love in your heart, Bobby, I'm all good in da hood.
    <4 it's how we roll.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Kwitko said:
    I guess I don't understand the lifestyle.
    >implying our lives revolve around Ponies.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Canti said:
    I think he was running with the "lifestyle" analogy. ;)
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Canti said:
    Well, yeah.
    edited Oct 2011
    Canti said:
    >implying yours doesn't
  • BHHammyBHHammy Somewhere in Hell Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
  • colacola the dick man himself Right behind you Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    12760 - glasses macro rainbow_dash serious_business.png
    1 x 1 - 294K
  • edited Oct 2011
    Ah, but it is different in one important way... you mentioned that its no different than a bunch of nerds going on about Firefly or Dr. Who or Star Trek, but what about the obvious elephant in the room... that MEN are so into something that, even if Faust tries to dance around the idea, has a very deep feminine background?

I think the answer lies in in a generation who is helping shatter the paradigm of homophobia we're becoming trapped in. The show rocks, the community rocks, agreed... but I think theres an extra level of empowerment for males who just throw in the towel on those out there who try to bully sexual behavior by labeling them Gay. You openly love MLP and take part in it, you are liberating yourselves from that trap as well and making a social statement when you say "Ya I love it. Deal with it" and thats freaking great!
    edited Oct 2011
    It's funny rmw, that same thought has crossed my mind a few times.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Mountains Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    That's weird, I thought we broke the invisible barriers of homophobia by going to local pride fests, hanging out at the local gay bar, slapping our gay friends on the ass and saying them cheeks, or posting in the dude thread...

Ponies? No, ponies is just a way for me to remember not to grow up too fast. Sexuality has nothing to do with it.
    edited Oct 2011
    The only time I experience homophobia is when a gay person is trying to kill me.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Ninja, I disagree; maybe it's because I live in a very blue collar area that is still very homophobic. I think rmw has brought up an excellent point; guys who are not homophobic feel empowered when confronted by those who are homophobic when they can say "MLP. Deal with it." it sends a signal: I'm not hung up on gender roles, back the fuck off.
    edited Oct 2011
    primesuspect said:
    Ninja, I disagree; maybe it's because I live in a very blue collar area that is still very homophobic. I think rmw has brought up an excellent point; guys who are not homophobic feel empowered when confronted by those who are homophobic when they can say "MLP. Deal with it." it sends a signal: I'm not hung up on gender roles, back the fuck off.
    But that's gender roles, not sexuality. I guess you are right though, it probably has a lot to do with where you're from. I just never thought about it that way
    :buck:
    You guys should all come visit lb.
    edited Oct 2011
    Gender roles have a GREAT deal to do with perceived sexuality in middle america, man. MY SON AIN'T GETTIN' NO EASY BAKE OVEN, HE AIN'T GON' BE NO GAY", etc.
    edited Oct 2011
    I live in complete disconnect. What does where nature tells me to put my penis have to do with if I like baking delicious treats or not?
    edited Oct 2011
    PirateNinja I'd like to introduce you to the entire state of Alabama :D
    edited Oct 2011
    And so on this day of Ten - Ten - Eleven, one man's cultural horizons were expanded, along with his understanding of human nature, all thanks to the Why grown-ass men love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic so much response thread.

Note to self: Don't pretend to enjoy things you normally enjoy while visiting Alabama. Instead observe the maturation of an entire population largely taught from childhood to do the same thing, note the consequences, and leave.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    But but...but look at all those delicious cookies! LOOK HOW HAPPY SHE IS!

Your son will NEVER be as happy as her Mr. Jethrobediah and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.
    edited Oct 2011
    ...in Amurica
    edited Oct 2011
    Dang, RMW just threw a huge curveball that I hadn't realized, yet makes perfect sense. I think that's a very good supportive positive to the whole MLP fandom.

Though cartoons in general for me are always a reminder to not grow up too fast. My desk with all of its action figures, my batman comic books, gratuitous board games, and all that serve as a constant reminder to me. I never wanted to outgrow the things I loved as a kid, and now that I'm grown, I've tossed out the standard conventions of 'adulthood', and I couldn't be happier.

It's funny, my roommate Tim who is, for lack of a better descriptive term, a normal 20-something dude that fits most the stereotypes gets confused when he sees me watching the new Avengers cartoon, or MLP, or sees the comic books on my desk. He not only sees the behavior as deviant, but also more or less wrong. He's known me for years though, so this isn't surprising to him - he just doesn't get it. And I couldn't care less.
  • DavidReinoldDavidReinold Minnesota
    edited Oct 2011
    I've gotta ask: how does one go about writing an article for this site? 'Cause I'd REALLY like to do a retrospective on previous MLP generations outlining the appeal they had and showing why it's not that weird that a My Little Pony series could be good.
    edited Oct 2011
    DavidReinold said:
    I've gotta ask: how does one go about writing an article for this site?
    You should have a "Contribute to:" box on the Icrontic.com homepage which links to tech/gaming/life. You can write and submit stuff to the site through there.

If you don't, PM Brian or myself. Let's chat about it - the more writers, the merrier :D
    edited Oct 2011
    Canti said:
    But but...but look at all those delicious cookies! LOOK HOW HAPPY SHE IS!

Your son will NEVER be as happy as her Mr. Jethrobediah and it's ALL YOUR FAULT.
    I love this thread SO MUCH.
    edited Oct 2011
    UPSLynx said:
    You should have a "Contribute to:" box on the Icrontic.com homepage which links to tech/gaming/life. You can write and submit stuff to the site through there.

If you don't, PM Brian or myself. Let's chat about it - the more writers, the merrier :D
    "CONTRIBUTE TO" BOX, Y U NO EXIST?

edited Oct 2011
    UPSLynx said:

They really should make that more obvious, all this time and I never knew.
    edited Oct 2011
    For all those of you who, like me, can't seem to find that button, here's a link that makes it 20% easier.

http://icrontic.com/writing-for-icrontic/
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    DavidReinold said:
    For all those of you who, like me, can't seem to find that button, here's a link that makes it 20% easier.
    I hope this makes it another 20%.
    contribute.jpg
    1 x 1 - 108K
    edited Oct 2011
    So when you get to the Wordpress page...how do you make a new article? Do you need extra permissions for that?
    edited Oct 2011
    Once in Wordpress, you can write in the quickpost box to the right side of the main page. I hate quickpost, though, so I always use the "My Sites" link at the top > pick the relevant subcategory > New post.
    edited Oct 2011
    But it doesn't have that. When I go to the subcategories all it has is "View site" and "Dashboard". That's why I'm wondering if I don't need extra permissions to access it.
    edited Oct 2011
    Hi, EIC here. I'll fix your permissions in a minute. Thanks for finding that old article; that needs to come down as the process has changed :D
  • ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    primesuspect said:
    I pounded a thousand goddamned nails in my lifetime, nobody's ever called me a carpenter. You watch ONE episode of My Little Pony, and...
    Ayup. I still ain't buying. (Yes, I read the article.) To each their own, but don't mind me while I :shakehead
    edited Oct 2011
    keto said:
    Ayup. I still ain't buying. (Yes, I read the article.) To each their own, but don't mind me while I :shakehead
    edited Oct 2011
    keto said:
    edited Oct 2011
    To any and all of the new bronies on Icrontic - you are officially invited:

http://icrontic.com/forum/showpost.php?p=805994&postcount=1079
  • edited Oct 2011
    Hey lynx I read ur article and it makes perfect sense. I'm a Brony. At first when I hurd the idea from my friend being addicted to my little pony I was like "geez who would get caught dead watching this crap" but as he talked about it more an more I got cerious and watched 3 episodes and I was hook-line-and sinker to this Show. I was even surprising my self that I watch it. But I have also been doing my homework on the show and I got to admit they have a great fan base and that really surprised me. Cuz in my school its the same situation with people criticizing other people for what they watch. But i could care
    Less cuz before I was a closet Brony for the first 12 episodes but after that I was very open about the whole show. Thanks for this awesome article.
  • TheAlertHuskyTheAlertHusky Victoria BC Member
    edited Oct 2011
    primesuspect said:
    I pounded a thousand goddamned nails in my lifetime, nobody's ever called me a carpenter. You watch ONE episode of My Little Pony, and...
    I completely agree with you and I even worked as a carpenters apprentice! Cripes.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited Oct 2011
    Yesterday, woot.com had Hasbro Littlest Pet Shop Figures, which some people likened to Hasbro's other more superior series featuring colorful animals. Someone then asked "I've read through all the comments, and I STILL don't know wth a Brony is!!!?!!"

I simply had to oblige them an answer that points to this article. :D

On similar topic, woot has historically snuck in a few pony-related things. Like for a while, typing "OMG" was filtered and turned into "WOO, PONIES!"
    edited Oct 2011
    Bandrik said:
    Yesterday, woot.com had Hasbro Littlest Pet Shop Figures, which some people likened to Hasbro's other more superior series featuring colorful animals. Someone then asked "I've read through all the comments, and I STILL don't know wth a Brony is!!!?!!"

I simply had to oblige them an answer that points to this article. :D

On similar topic, woot has historically snuck in a few pony-related things. Like for a while, typing "OMG" was filtered and turned into "WOO, PONIES!"
    That was a pretty answer to them dude. Props!
  • edited Oct 2011
    Wow, reading the comments was just as fun as the article lol.
  • edited Oct 2011
    I'm going to be joining this site JUST because of this article. I've fallen in LOVE with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I saw a few people talking about it on World of Warcraft and I looked it up...I'm HOOKED. 10 Episodes watched counting. "Winter Wrap Up" Is the BEST song I've ever heard. I've listened to it non-stop 62 times so far, right now. My GOD This article is PONY-GOD.
    edited Oct 2011
    Matthew said:
    I'm going to be joining this site JUST because of this article. I've fallen in LOVE with My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I saw a few people talking about it on World of Warcraft and I looked it up...I'm HOOKED. 10 Episodes watched counting. "Winter Wrap Up" Is the BEST song I've ever heard. I've listened to it non-stop 62 times so far, right now. My GOD This article is PONY-GOD.
    Bro bro bro, if you want the best mlp song, you gotta look outside the series.

there you go
  • edited Nov 2011
    Well I'm a brony too, just found this. Read a comment about fanfics, so whoever (upslynx?) wanted good romance fics without sex scenes should check out some of my work. "Flutterheart" and others available on http://www.fimfiction.net/story/926/Flutterheart just in case you care. Probably won't get on this thread again, but good job with the article.
  • edited Nov 2011
    Fluttershy is best pony ...duh
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    I have now linked this article to pony-haters twice. :D
    edited Nov 2011
    Starman said:
    I have now linked this article to pony-haters twice. :D
    I've gotten four people to turn brony personally. But nice, must be getting a lot of flak eh?:(
  • edited Nov 2011
    Man, bronies are just a bunch of pedophiles. I warn you not to let them near children.
    edited Nov 2011
    Richard Halpert said:
    Man, bronies are just a bunch of kelpophiles. I warn you not to let them near kelp.
    Kelp? I don't even like seaweed!