A dedicated Battlefield 3 server for Icrontic and Trinet's Division-G

Comments

• NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    was just curious. allows platoon sized warfare. thanks for info

I would really love to see 64v64, with all the bells

I'll try to get some footage for you - we gamed on a 64v64 last night and it was absolute madness. Most jawdropping part of the night was trying to avoid an Abrams: sprinted towards a highway pillar and dove behind it just as he fired a shell over my head. I'm crawling around and I can hear him moving to get into position when a Havok showed up over the top of a hill in front of me, out of nowhere, and disables the Abrams. I finished off the crew when they hopped out, he performed a sort of overwatch while I capped the flag, and flew off.

One of at least 4 moments last night that gave me goosebumps.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Man that looks freaking gorgeous.

I know. I haven't played a Battlefield Game since 1942 but this looks phenomenal and if Icrontic gets a crew together I might have to pick up the game. Does anyone know of a way I can get the game for less than the standard $60 retail right now? And was the limited edition version a pre-order only thing, or can that still be had as well?
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Man that looks freaking gorgeous.

Yeah, and those pictures were down-scaled on Photobucket to boot. The visuals are simply on a different level.
    Don't be so quick to write the system off, it's the first day - who knows, you might have been trying to do it at a wonky time. All kinds of things were going on last night that prevented something from happening properly.

I was going to write about the importance of a first impression, especially with a service as big as Origin/Battlelog, but then I remembered that this is the second sour taste this service has left in my mouth. Things seem marginally improved over the beta with Battlelog (the game itself, though, vastly improved). I won't get over the fact that a browser-based log system is nothing but a needless layer of complexity that does nothing to improve the current means of matchmaking. It'll improve - it has to, but what a wretched means just to play a game.
    edited October 2011
    So while we're on the topic of intense moments in this game - I experienced a moment on the IC server last night that blew my mind.

It took place immediately after that first screenshot that I posted. Boasist and I were putting pressure on a few enemies on the opposite side tucked into a building. We were trying to grab that point and GTFO, but there were too many enemies around.

Shortly after I grabbed that pic, an high explosive round of some sort hit just to the left of us on the corner of the building. Boasist went down, and my hearing went with him. So I'm suddenly in a blurry daze, my buddy is dead, and the building to my side is raining concrete all around me as it crumbled from the shell. I took off running to the right, hoping I could duck around the wall.

Not familiar with the map yet, I wasn't sure which areas were just walls, or which areas were full buildings, so I ran with the assumption that the wall to my right might be something I could hide behind. I was wrong, it was a full length building, competely open to line of fire from the other team. My adrenaline suddenly jumped up high as I realized that I was now in a full on sprint for my life. The enemies knew it, too. I could hear the pops of their rifles in the distance, followed by the twang of riccochet as the bullets missed me but found a home in the wall beside me. Intensity grew as I realized that whatever fired the explosive round that killed Boasist would probably be reloaded and ready to fire again any second now. I was nearly to the safety of the end of the wall when I heard the pronounced BAM from the canon firing. Suddenly, the dirt to my immediate left exploded high into the sky as the shell hit the earth, mud and crap covering my goggles obstructing my view. Again, my hearing went out from the sudden explosion, but I was alive. At the end of the wall, I dove off a small cliff and landed on a road below, where I quickly ducked into a building to finally take my first breath of air since the beginning of the ordeal.

Frigging awesome.

I'm leaving for ICHQ today, so I won't be back in action until Monday night.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    I know. I haven't played a Battlefield Game since 1942 but this looks phenomenal and if Icrontic gets a crew together I might have to pick up the game. Does anyone know of a way I can get the game for less than the standard $60 retail right now? And was the limited edition version a pre-order only thing, or can that still be had as well?

Sorry Joe, everywhere I look, $59.95.

Amazon and Origin
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited October 2011
    Sorry Joe, everywhere I look, $59.95.

Amazon and Origin

Should be able to grab the download version from Amazon, still listed at $50.99.
    edited October 2011
    I looked at that one, and it had been pulled by Amazon yesterday.
    edited October 2011
    Well, here it is again:

Battlefield 3 on Amazon for $50.99. Your mileage may vary.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    UPSLynx wrote:
    So while we're on the topic of intense moments in this game - I experienced a moment on the IC server last night that blew my mind.

The intensity of this game is something I've never experienced. It seems so damn real. I found myself not wanting to die, completely forgetting I was going to respawn regardless. Normally I play games like this like a reckless idiot, but this game scares me and makes my heart pump.

It's actually a scary sign of things to come with how real this is.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Go post in the heartstopping moment thread!
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Server down?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Nope, changed IP though. just search for icrontic again
    edited October 2011
    I did, nothing showed up earlier when I posted that, but it has been added now.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Curious to see how "real" this game is. Any of you veterans?

Yes I played the alpha, but that was one map. I want to know how full 32vs32 8 hour battles are ;D
    edited October 2011
    fatcat wrote:
    Curious to see how "real" this game is. Any of you veterans?

Yes I played the alpha, but that was one map. I want to know how full 32vs32 8 hour battles are ;D

I got into a tank and blew a hole in a building. That's how war works, yeah?
  • xbox has no problems :D
    edited October 2011
    lulz @ fps are meant for consoles ... then they test and console FPS players get destroyed when playing against PC. /trololol
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Is the server down?
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    Investigating.......
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    Back in business....game on.
    edited November 2011
    Cool, thanks! Guess we should try for tonight on the server? I will be in after the FSU game finishes up around 8 PST (11 EST)
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    pigflipper wrote:
    Cool, thanks! Guess we should try for tonight on the server? I will be in after the FSU game finishes up around 8 PST (11 EST)

Sounds like a plan, I'll get it up on the platoon wall.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Questions about the server:

Is there anyway we can designate some admins - be able to change the map/game types?

So, basically, right now, even if we have 5-6 ppl on the server, we can't do anything.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    Questions about the server:

Is there anyway we can designate some admins - be able to change the map/game types?

So, basically, right now, even if we have 5-6 ppl on the server, we can't do anything.

I'll be working on a solution for this today. Should have it up before the weekend. Then we'll need to define some admins, hop in and test and all should be set for future matches in our DG/IC server.

Thanks for being patient.
    had a pretty good game going for quite a few rounds.
    Was a blast, literally.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    need more IC folks on the server!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited August 2012
    Does Icrontic still play this enough to warrant my getting the game? I finally have a capable PC for it but I'm worried that I'll miss hopping on the wagon and that jumping will just leave me with broken legs.
    I still play at least two or three days a week.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    Me too... I'll go a week or so and not play then play 3 or 4 times a week for weeks