If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

Herp Derp Ping Pong

2»

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Good job Brian
    I think you did very well, the second you started talking I started to nod in agreement. The second that Neil guy started talking I thought "What the hell, he sounds like a complete idiot." You stayed calm and stuck to the topic and the truth, you have my respect!
  • edited May 2011
    Good effort - your initial appearance made me feel that they had invited someone 'vulnerable' to the show, but then after the first ten seconds you really noticably became more aggressive (which was good).

You did what you could, but ultimately it'd take nothing less than a famous celebrity shouting at them to change their minds.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    TIL Brian is like MLK Jr.
  • edited May 2011
    Good job is all I have to say. I wouldn't have handle those fantastic [sarcasm] people with the same grace you did. I'm glad someone like you was up there representing our community.

Asbury was an ass clear and simple, but you can not expect much else out of the people at fox, what gets me is he is talking about wasted money, yet their reporter so kindly flashed an ipad about, wasted funds if I ever saw them. They ave a teleprompter, and even that is more than they need, reporters like that are little more than actors, they can learn the lines, they dont NEED teleprompters and ipads.

Should games like C.O.D. get goverment grants? No, of course not, should artistic/educational games get funded? Yes, definitely. Education is getting hit rather hard as it is, but things like educational games. [that don't require a teacher to still spread knowledge] are definitely NOT a waste of money.

If fox would ever give a fair and unbiased time to have a REAL debate, people would see how poor their views really are.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Member
    edited May 2011
    I think you did well Brian. However, you were very quiet and reserved and as a result I think that what you said didn't make the impact it deserved. It was definitely overshadowed by the OTT video and the raving looney.

Of the four minutes of video, the first 30 seconds are all COD, and there are COD trailers during the piece (obviously predetermined) even though you flat explained that games such as COD are never going to be eligable for art funding. I would expect that what you said about COD being ineligable would be completely lost on the the viewers (going on what everyone else has so far said) and if you were to interview them after watching the piece they would still be under the misapprehension that this money goes towards COD-type games.

For the record my enduring memory of the video is 'ping-pong' (get the term right, you dumb b@stard) and this is a real shame. It goes to show that the media can present things however they like and their demographic will just lap it up, brainwashed.

I'm sure you have newspapers that operate in exactly the same way, our UK equivalent to this garbage is a newspaper called the Daily Mail.

But well done Brian!!!!!

~Cyrix
  • edited May 2011
    im from australia so we dont get fox over here, but who the hell is the other guy? he seems like some random jackass they brought along just for the express purpose of having somebody shout into the camera like hes in a billy mays commercial. the whole thing stank of a boxer arguing with a punching bag vis a vis
  • edited May 2011
    I think you did a great job of appearing rational and calm. You were never going to convince the host, or even most of the viewers but I think its a good thing you went up instead of them getting someone else who would have gotten angry and actually hurt the perception of gamers and games.
    edited May 2011
    travis said:
    he seems like some random jackass they brought along just for the express purpose of having somebody shout into the camera like hes in a billy mays commercial
    That is pretty much how FOX operates. Oh, how I wish we had the Canadian law of prohibiting lying on the air. See this CTRL+ALT+DEL comic for a visual explanation
  • CharshieCharshie Hollywood, California Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Fantastic article, Brian.
  • edited May 2011
    I watched that video and i will never get that four minutes of my life back. I'm not american but i am truly sorry for anybody who has to put up with people like that. Valiant effort Brian but speaking to that idiot neal was like bashing your head against a brick wall. What does ping pong (table tennis which is a legit sport by the way) have to do with video games? Where did teachers and raised taxes come into the equation? Why the hell were they showing a Cod trailer and talking about GTA? Two of the biggest commercial franchises out there.

And i got a huge kick when they showed an 8 bit mario game as the example for video game art, so precisely rendered cut-screens dont qualify as art? Anyway you did a great job man but nobody could have succeeded against them, i say we just ignore them and let them become obsolete in a world that is growing more technological everyday while they cling to the same old ways
  • edited May 2011
    lol I went to watch the interview on this page and I got a robo pong ad:

• CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    @Canti hahahaha wow so the ping pong thing was a jab at obama?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    I think President Obama's ping pong match occurred a few days after Brian's news segment. Just a funny coincidence.
    edited May 2011
    Jordan said:
    @Canti hahahaha wow so the ping pong thing was a jab at obama?
    I doubt it, unless Asbury also fancies himself a psychic
  • edited May 2011
    Wow. I never really watch Fox news; I've just heard them get bashed by friends, and now I know why! Who did that guy think he was arguing with? Why the need to yell? Ping-pong?? Ergh
    Way to be cool, calm, rational and perfectly friendly to these two guys. I don't think I would've been able to control myself so well!
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Thrax said:
    Because they use tablets instead of a stack of papers.
    Nah, probably playing Angry Birds.
    edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    Please guys, its table tennis and its actually a legit and really fun sport!!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ @TheButterflyman Icrontian
    edited May 2011
  • edited May 2011
    I'm reminded once again why I stay away from Fox "News." You did a great job, knowing your subject and speaking intelligently in the face of intentional stupidity. Way to go!
  • KoreishKoreish KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Although I think this discussion has probably run it's course I would like to direct some attention to this rather well thought out article from Cracked of all places.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited Nov 2011
    BBC made a comment on all of this today, they probably would be nice to talk to about it.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_9628000/9628274.stm
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Brian, your next objective is to be interviewed by the BBC.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    Okay. Email sent.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited Nov 2011
    UPSLynx said:
    Brian, your next objective is to be interviewed by the BBC.

Without question.
    edited Nov 2011
    If it's televised you must where an Ascot.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited Nov 2011
    And a monocle.
    edited Nov 2011
    AND MY TOPHAT!
  • DogSoldierDogSoldier The heart of radical Amish country..
    edited Nov 2011
    You're right Koreish, that was great, and it had some pretty hilarious moments.. And the weird thing was, in my minds eye.. I read the article in the voice of No Punctuation..
  • edited Nov 2011
    I'm interested to see where this goes. Good luck, Brian!
    edited Nov 2011
    DJ Meph found these for me. I never saw them before. Thanks, Norm!

and

edited Nov 2011
    You have a vast footprint on the internet for that story.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Nov 2011
    It's still so weird.
    Look what I got in the mail today:

Thanks, @CrazyJoe!
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    That's amazingly cool.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
  • Church4252Church4252 K-Pop authority™, Gundam Meister Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    that is awesome!!!
    That's pretty funtastic
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    Lol, I like where it say's "Government funds murder simulators" and "Obama's secret plan to destroy America"
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    You're welcome! Tim finally put up prints for sale again. I emailed him personally to have him personalize it with the title of the Icrontic Article. :-)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    !beer @Crazyjoe

Joe is credit to team!

-Digi
  • IvanIvan
    slides @Crazyjoe a fine beer from the Icrontic cellar.
    New
    slides @Crazyjoe a fine beer from the Icrontic cellar.
2»