If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Disgusting alert: What is this flu bug that's going around?

2»

Comments

• MachineGunKellyMachineGunKelly The STICKS, Illinois
    edited Dec 2003
    Geez. That's funny!
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    my appetite still isn't 100% ...and neither is jr's
  • HawkHawk Fl. Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    After That! story whose wouldn't! Hehehe Being a plumber in my many trades. That strikes my funny bone.
  • PowerMDPowerMD OR room #3
    edited Dec 2003
    primesuspect had this to say

Anyways, I am going on 6 days of this weird stomach flu. Basically the only symptom is explosive diahhrea and the fatigue and dehydration that comes with it.

I mean, this is consistent diahhrea, like everything I eat, no matter what it is, turns to liquid. Every night for the last five nights I have spent at least 2 hours in the bathroom. I have gone through a 12 pack of double-roll toilet paper in five days. I'll sit down for an hour or more, with my life force pouring out of my ass, and then think I'm done, getting up only to find out that I have to sit right back down.

The fatigue I think is coming from lack of sleep mostly.

Other than that, I FEEL FINE, that's the weird part. I have no stomach pain, no headache, nothing. I tried taking Immodium a couple of days ago, and all it did was cause it to be harder to ****, and that was a bit painful. No more immodium.

In my layman's opinion, this is some kind of virus or something because no "stomach" medication has any effect on this thing.

Now, I have a friend across town that I have had no contact with for months, but he's got the exact same thing as I do. He's going on his 5th day today.

Anybody else in the US or wherever having this bizarre sickness? I want to find out what's going around.

you know some elderly people would love to have this!
    fever? cough, congestion, body aches? new medications you started?
    Now for some even better questions: blood in stool?, is it watery or just loose? weird colors - green, clay colored? any belly aches or pains?
    sounds too long to be a stomach flu, however an infectious process sounds most likely. did you and your friend eat the same food or at the same place? anyone you know sick like this that has eaten the same food?
    your fatigue is likely from dehydration, drink lots of gatorade
    go see your doc if it continues
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    PowerMD had this to say
    you know some elderly people would love to have this!
    fever? cough, congestion, body aches? new medications you started?

Doc! Thanks for answering!

No, no fever, no cough, none of those symptoms. No new meds
    Now for some even better questions: blood in stool?, is it watery or just loose? weird colors - green, clay colored? any belly aches or pains?

Now that you mention it, the color of all the stool was a consistent bright yellow. No blood that I was aware of. It was watery, almost completely liquid, not really any belly aches or pains, just the normal "gassy pain" type of thing associated with "omg I have to run to the bathroom THIS SECOND"
    sounds too long to be a stomach flu, however an infectious process sounds most likely. did you and your friend eat the same food or at the same place? anyone you know sick like this that has eaten the same food?
    your fatigue is likely from dehydration, drink lots of gatorade. go see your doc if it continues

Thanks, luckily I worked through it and the thing is gone. I truly don't believe that it was food poisoning, as my wife and kids and I all eat together for all meals. Nobody else in my family got sick.
    edited Dec 2003
    well that's good to hear you got over it
    it doesn't sound like something we might ever figure out, could be a virus or bacteria, but since it stopped it's probably not something severe
    most of these things resolve spontaneously
    stay healthy
    edited Dec 2003
    I heard today on CNN that they expect 57,000 adults to die from the flu this season.

Adults are infectious for 5-7 days and children for up to 2 weeks.

Get your flu shots!!! It is a myth that they will make you sick. They take two weeks to fully protect you from the virus. During that period you are still succeptable.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    Right, got mine when the first vaccine for new kinds reached here, about a month anbd a half ago. If you do not have it, you cannot spread it. If your kids are vaccined before flu season they can neither get nor spread it.

Influenza is part or mostly a virus, and they DO change over time, in how they attack. The viruses that survive and spread do so becasue they have changed adn the old vaccine cannot protect aginst the changed virus, so new vaccines are relased annually just before flu season (month or so before, gives time enough to ID newer strains of flu).

The only ohter way to minimize the effects of this kind of thing is to have a very heealthy body, so it can fight it off better. Antibiotics kill bacteria, and flu itself is not by anymeans a pure bacteriological infection although some things that give some flu symptoms can be non-viral also.

DEFINITELY get flu shots if you do not have flu yet this year. I think the bill for mine was all of $8.00 as the doctors here are giving them at cost of needle and vaccine ship-in and a bit of 3 miute labor from a nurse or nurse's aid and a bit to pay for vaccine. Flu seems to like colder tepmps than other things, it comes in fall and early winter, part of the winter part is folks are gathered together for parties, and flu can spread airborne and does for relatively short distances.

John-- whom actually got a dialup turning connect a little bit ago, and has 7462 points on folding's server-- the AMD box was offline for a while, doing a lot of RAM testing, which it passed, but the test behavior told me something: ram settings in BIOS needed tweaking, and it works one heck of a lot better now.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited Dec 2003
    Never had a flu shot, don't intend to start getting them just yet. I'm 17, so my chances of dying from it are minimal, and I hate needles more than I hate getting the flu.
    edited Dec 2003
    Ya big puss! ;D

You know I'm kidding bro! I've had more needles stuck in me than a 'voodoo doll' so I don't mind anyway. :D
    edited Dec 2003
    flu shot sucks ...got one once and it made me sicker than I've ever been in my life ...made this thread look like a b_day party.:celebrate
  • Josh-Josh- Royal Oak, MI
    edited Dec 2003
    mtgoat had this to say

Nice touch! :thumbsup: :wtf:

BTW
    You guys better keep that crap in Michigan.

Thrax had this to say

Nice touch! :thumbsup: :wtf:

BTW
    You guys better keep that crap in Michigan.

I have your address. I'll sneeze on an envelope and get it out to you ASAP. [/B][/QUOTE]

I personally think that vomit or diarrhea over-night UPS would be a better idea..:)
    edited Dec 2003
    The shots take two weeks to fully protect you from the virus. Youy probably were exposed at the doctors office, that's where all the sick people ARE.
    edited Dec 2003
    I can understand. As I get older, flu will hit me worse than a healthier and younger person, but by getting a flu shot you can protect your grandaparents from getting flu form you adn it will hurt them more that it will hit you.

Second, in a school entvironment you are twice as likely to get flu as you are if you were at home or working independently from others. I hated needles also, but this is less painful than a measles shot and can be stuck right into a muscle in one upper arm in about 10 seconds. In fact, the college health services might have them for so close to free it is not funny. I respect that the choice is yours, though.

John.
    edited Dec 2003
    Well, they HAVE changed what they put vaccines in for a vehicle, and it was the horse serum that they used to use that was getting most of the reactions, or folks that had flu but it had no noticeable sysmptoms yet. Basicly, compared to three to five years ago, they are getting less than half the flu shot reactions they used to, if the people do not already have flu and are not allergic to the vehicle used and most people do not react to the new vehicle. The time needed for the body to get reactive to broken viruses and be able to recognize them is 2 weeks or so for most, but also if the body is already trying to fight this kind of virus it is already stressed. So, time that is best to get vaccines is well before you need them so you do not double stress and can handle allergic reactions without already fighting something else as well.

If you get a person who is exposed to flu in school two days before, and give him a flu shot, he is not only trying to fight something his body does not yet know (which is in fact how a vaccine works, the body internal fighting things get used to the shape of the enemy and learn to encapsulate it so it cannot act and then it goes out with body wastes) but also something to teach it how to fight. Best way, is vaccine shot a month or so before season for flu hits, to two months before. Then, body will know how to fight the most likely flu for the next season. Vaccine is not a flu killer, it is a way to teach the body how to recognize flu so it can fight it better using its builtin resistance abilities.

John.
  • pcscustompcscustom Oklahoma
    edited Dec 2003
    Ack god damnit! I had that **** all through thanksgiving and now i got it again.. And not the nasty kind you have had, Mine is more throat sore as hell and body pain, headache, sinus pain... Kinda one of those things if you could take your head off and put it away for a few days it would be less painful.... I have had enough of this **** and the flu shot didnt work.... One more Dr. appt tomorro at 8am.... I hate being sick!

Trev
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited Dec 2003
    Prime and everyone affected, what it sounds like you all have is a new strain of Influenza referred to as MRSA.

MRSA is a drug-resistant strain of the A-Fujita Influenza main-strain that has symptoms common to the normal flu, such as diarrhea, nausea, coughing, body-pain, high-temperature and a congested, aching throat.

There are no conventional vaccines or medications that can be taken to disrupt the course of this bug. Right now, there are a total of 14 US states that are dealing with this new MRSA bug.

The worst problem with MRSA is that in small children, the elderly or anyone with a weakened immune system can be susceptable to the complications of MRSA, such as pneumonia, which can require hospitalization for up to 5 days.

Best course of action? Plenty of fluids, sleep and make frequent runs to the can.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    Hong Kong Flu v2.0
    edited Dec 2003
    SimGuy had this to say
    Prime and everyone affected, what it sounds like you all have is a new strain of Influenza referred to as MRSA.

MRSA is a drug-resistant strain of the A-Fujita Influenza main-strain that has symptoms common to the normal flu, such as diarrhea, nausea, coughing, body-pain, high-temperature and a congested, aching throat.

There are no conventional vaccines or medications that can be taken to disrupt the course of this bug. Right now, there are a total of 14 US states that are dealing with this new MRSA bug.

The worst problem with MRSA is that in small children, the elderly or anyone with a weakened immune system can be susceptable to the complications of MRSA, such as pneumonia, which can require hospitalization for up to 5 days.

Best course of action? Plenty of fluids, sleep and make frequent runs to the can.

close but some errors, MRSA is methicillin resistant staph aureus, a bacteria that is drug resistant. WE use vancomycin to treat it instead of penicillins - it is commonly hospital acquired and is a secondary infection in most cases. Kids that died had the flu virus, got pneumonia from MRSA and died from the pneumonia/sepsis.
    Everyone is susceptible to MRSA, but it is not common and not the cause of the flu. That would the inluenza virus (not to be confused with haemophilus influenza bacteria!)
    But you are right about the Fujita strain being the culprit. They had the panama strain in this year's vaccine instead.
    edited Dec 2003
    my 1 yr old son is on his way to the doc now ...he was in er on saturday ...I want him to get well NOW! I hate this. he is on antibiotics.
    edited Dec 2003
    ok ...the antibiotics did no good so now we are having xrays done bloodwork trying to determine whether he has the flu or not. damn virus
    edited Dec 2003
    :( hang in there Chris. When my firstborn was 22 months he had to stay in a hospital overnight for the Croup. It was terrifying for us. I'm really thinking about you and your son right now. I know how hard it is when a helpless child is sick.
    edited Dec 2003
    he hadda 9:45 apt with doc ...doc sent him to hosp to get xrays and bloodwork ...he is on his way back to doc now for his 2:00 apt to get results and whatever else.
    When we were in ER we waited for hours to get some attention even once inside the ER area ...it seems his sickness was playing second fiddle to the LSU game.

I appreciate that prime.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited Dec 2003
    I'm still sick, and after my improvement on sunday, I've only gotten slightly better.

I've now had this for 9 days.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited Dec 2003
    PowerMD had this to say
    SimGuy had this to say

close but some errors, MRSA is methicillin resistant staph aureus, a bacteria that is drug resistant. WE use vancomycin to treat it instead of penicillins - it is commonly hospital acquired and is a secondary infection in most cases. Kids that died had the flu virus, got pneumonia from MRSA and died from the pneumonia/sepsis.
    Everyone is susceptible to MRSA, but it is not common and not the cause of the flu. That would the inluenza virus (not to be confused with haemophilus influenza bacteria!)
    But you are right about the Fujita strain being the culprit. They had the panama strain in this year's vaccine instead.

I stand corrected! :D

Last time I trust the Discovery channel. :D
    edited Dec 2003
    junior has the flu ...and it's beyond 48 hours so the doctor said that the flu shot is useless now. why didn't they tell me in ER to go to a doctor if he didn't get better within 48 hours?
    I guess we'll never know ...but LSU is going to the sugar bowl!
    he is still running fever so he is considered contagious.
    edited Dec 2003
    csimon had this to say
    junior has the flu ...and it's beyond 48 hours so the doctor said that the flu shot is useless now. why didn't they tell me in ER to go to a doctor if he didn't get better within 48 hours?
    I guess we'll never know ...but LSU is going to the sugar bowl!
    he is still running fever so he is considered contagious.

the flu shot has virtually no effect when given once someone displays the symptoms of the flu
    it takes about 2 weeks to even kick in

your concern is normal and admirable regarding your son
    don't panic, you've done nothing wrong, this is unfortunately NORMAL for kids to go through
    as long as you are vigilent, do what your doc says, and even trust his care to others, he'll get through it
    never hesitate to contact your doc if you have concerns
    best of luck
    edited Dec 2003
    thanks doc that is certainly encouraging!
  • mewashere03mewashere03 Michigan
    edited Dec 2003
    EWWWWWWWW grose dont have to go into so uch detail! NASTY!
    edited Dec 2003
    Hey now, I warned you with the thread title: It clearly says "DISGUSTING ALERT"...

Besides, you knew all this. Mom must have told you :crazy:
2»