Bastion and the art of storytelling in video games

cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming

Comments

• trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I thoroughly enjoyed this game. The art was amazing the the simplicity of the game play overlayed with the narration was very refreshing.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    They nailed the storytelling and the "feel" of the game. Bastion's soundtrack and ambiance are pretty cool too and adds to the experience. I'm tempted to get the soundtrack so I can The aiming and controls are a little off at times, and I wasn't able to get the game to recognize my game pad. The game has a lot of those "smile to yourself" moments.

There's not a ton of replay value but that one play through is well worth the money.
  • cherplunkacherplunka Sunnyvale, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Just so you guys know, The Narrator does have a name, but it seemed nicer to let prospective players discover it on their own.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Narrator's name is
    IT WAS YOU ALL ALONG
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The narrator is...

SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    His voice, smoother than the finest whiskey, is directly interlaced with the game play.

This is now one of my favorite lines ever. Perfectly descriptive for Cunningham's VO work.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    cola wrote:
    SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDOR!

We avoid political discussion on Icrontic, remember?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Please, Dumbledore was a lie perpetrated by the wizard elite to keep muggles oblivious to the fact that time is a four sided cube
  • trooster89trooster89 Are you from London? Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    xrzXJ.gif
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm a few hours into this game now. I regret having waited so long to play it. The presentation is fantastic, and the narrative is very refreshing. It's easy to think that you might get tired of the narrator as he describes your every move, but with only a few minutes into the game you realize that it adds to a certain level of immersion that I haven't felt with other games.

But Bastion. This game is awesome.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Been thinking about trying it since I saw this:

MxWWP.jpg

I have literally a dozen other indie games to play first though.