Flashlights to be nerfed in next patch

StarmanStarman Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Gaming
For those who haven't heard yet, flashlights are being nerfed from their current status as impossible solar-flare machines to a more reasonable level. The new flashlight effect looks more like an advantageous inconvenience.

Source

Edit: looks like this was already mentioned by baosist in the war stories thread. Good job, baosist. I suppose I'll just update this when the patch hits.

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thank goodness they're doing this. The flashlight in its current state is one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen in a long time.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Says the guy who's logged less than 2 hours into the game ;)

They're not that bad and they definitely have their use. Close combat firefights on certain maps really highlight their usefulness, and they're just as easy to counter with a shotgun for the same reasons.

They've saved my ass on a few occasions.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Don't really use the flashlight but have never really been bothered by them. They don't surprise me or anything I can pretty easily guess where the enemy is in close quarters when up against someone equipped with one. A shotgun helps as well like NiGHTS' said.
    edited November 2011
    I want to play this game more, I really do.

I wish I knew why I have so many dang problems with it. It doesn't make sense, no other game gives me the grief that BF3 does.

Makes me sad :(
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I think you forgot about Borderlands.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Lynx, what I don't understand is how you are having these problems. Have you tried reinstalling BF3 and Battle Log and possibly Origin?
    edited November 2011
    Black Hawk wrote:
    I think you forgot about Borderlands.

Holy crap you're right. Yep. True fact.

I have not tried reinstalling the game yet. Can you reinstall battlelog? Isn't it all cloud based?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Battlelog is just a browser plugin. Reinstall that.
  • StarmanStarman Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    The patch is out now. I'm downloading it at this very moment.
    edited December 2011
    Downloading as well. Lets see if the nerfs of this patch completely break something unrelated like in BF2
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    edited December 2011
    Already been playing and the flashlight has been changed to be a bit more realistic in range. It will still completely blind you at 3-5m or less, but anything much beyond that and it looks about like a normal light in game.
    edited December 2011
    That sounds great to me. What about colorblind mode? :D
    edited December 2011
    Also, IRNV has been nerfed, its not really effective beyond 25m or so now, which is fine by me, I only used it to slaughter people at ranges less than that to begin with.

Another BIG fix: auto/semi-auto shotguns and the Frag round. I've already had someone try to use the USAS-12 with frag on me and I survived an entire clip; pump shotty will still one hit with it though.
    edited December 2011
    3.9 gigabyte patch? What have they got in there, King Kong?
    edited December 2011
    The patch will also deliver most of the content for the Back to Karkand DLC along with dozens of other tweaks.

So let me get this straight - I have to waste HDD space for DLC content that I don't own? What... what in the WORLD, DICE?
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that's a shitty move. It's even worse for people who have a small bandwidth cap. DICE did say they aren't satisfied with that delivery method, but they were evidently satisfied enough to go ahead with it for this patch. Hopefully, they'll get their act together next time.
  • ghbutlerghbutler Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Nerfed to a more realistic level, good job DICE.