Google Music is another step towards living in the clouds

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Science & Tech

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Does Google Music have the ability to cache a local copy on your device so you're not required to use the network? (Can't get it here in Euroland.) At least that way you could cache the stuff you wanted to listen to at home while on wifi, and then still be able to access the rest if you have a sudden craving for something else.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Awesome appearance yet again Brian!! I am definitely interested in Google Music. I also like the feature that lets me listen to songs for free that have been downloaded by my friends.
  • edited November 2011
    @Snarkasm I know it does include the ability on the android app to download a local copy to allow offline play.
    I haven't seen anything like that in the browser version though, so I don't guess that would help with bandwidth issues there...
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Bri, how does it compare to services such as Spotify or Rdio?
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Troy wrote:
    @Snarkasm I know it does include the ability on the android app to download a local copy to allow offline play.
    I haven't seen anything like that in the browser version though, so I don't guess that would help with bandwidth issues there...

Yes, you can cache the songs you want on your device for either offline play or to save bandwidth (I'm so glad I jumped on Verizon unlimited while it still existed).

As for the desktop version, it's all browser-based, so I don't think there's that capability. But in the vast majority of cases, at least in the US, nobody's going to be hitting home broadband caps via Google Music.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'm having an issue just running the manager client. Anyone else seen this? I can't find any resolutions online, only a recognition that it's an issue. :(
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    20,000 songs on their servers for free? That is just mind boggling. The usage data must be extraordinarily valuable?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Preacher wrote:
    Bri, how does it compare to services such as Spotify or Rdio?

Comparison to spotify: this is your own music, uploaded from your PC to their cloud then accessible from anywhere you have data connection (whether that is another PC or a phone, etc). You can have some locally cached for phone through app for service outages or travel through tunnels, etc. They also will not use data if cached locally (and there are several settings available to determine how they get onto your phone).

"**SUPER TIP** Creating a playlist just for offline music is one of the easiest ways to make sure your favorite songs are available when you jump on the subway. In fact, any new music you add to a pinned playlist will automatically be downloaded for offline playback."

Once I figure out an effective way to get music from my phone to my car stereo, my ipod will be obsolete (this is mixing that assumption in with the thinking that data caps will go away eventually, or that i'll be really good about updating my offline playlist).
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    CB wrote:
    I'm having an issue just running the manager client. Anyone else seen this? I can't find any resolutions online, only a recognition that it's an issue. :(

I haven't. Possibly stupid questions: are you actually using three different accounts to sign into music manager? Have you tried uninstall/reinstall?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Does Google have a pay option for uploading more than 20,000 songs? Also, do songs you buy from Google count against your 20k?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    <blockquote>was this screenshot taken on a Windows desktop PC, or a Chromebook? Does it even matter anymore?</blockquote>Given the anemic sales of Chromebooks thus far, I would say 'no'. ;)
    edited November 2011
    When Apple brings any feature Android has to the iPhone, everyone banters about how Apple is just copying and *finally* catching up. When Google copies iCloud, well by golly look at the future they're showing us! In fact, the word "iCloud" has never appeared in an Icrontic article, including this one.
    edited November 2011
    Icrontic is the polar opposite of the rest of the tech press where they all talk about how the Apple features that were copied from elsewhere are "magical" and "revolutionary" whereas anything anyone else does that's remotely similar to something Apple did is just a cheap knock-off.
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    the rest of the tech press where they all talk about how the Apple features that were copied from elsewhere are "magical" and "revolutionary" whereas anything anyone else does that's remotely similar to something Apple did is just a cheap knock-off.
    I think a different Internet is connected to your house.

[edited quote to better reflect what I was referring to]
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    ardichoke wrote:
    Does Google have a pay option for uploading more than 20,000 songs? Also, do songs you buy from Google count against your 20k?

I think this would only matter to a professional DJ. For everyone else, that's somewhere between 1500 and 2000 full length CD's. I've been collecting CD's for over twenty years now, and I have maybe 500, and of those, maybe only half I would bother to send to the cloud.

It's staggering how much data they are going to let us upload for free.
    edited November 2011
    Please, most tech press falls all over themselves to praised Apple for being revolutionary when they copy features from elsewhere. Case in point: Siri.

Edit: just listen to TWiT sometime... even when they admit that Apple just ripped something off from someone else, they go out of their way to justify why the Apple version is better and more revolutionary than what they copied anyway.
    edited November 2011
    I think this would only matter to a professional DJ. For everyone else, that's somewhere between 1500 and 2000 full length CD's. I've been collecting CD's for over twenty years now, and I have maybe 500, and of those, maybe only half I would bother to send to the cloud.

It's staggering how much data they are going to let us upload for free.

I agree. Hell, my whole collection is only about 7600 songs at this point. I was just curious.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My entire collection of music I've purchased on CD and converted to MP3 as well as music purchased digitally in iTunes and Amazon marketplace comes to a total of 2666 songs, after exactly 20 years of collecting. People who have close to 20,000 songs are either professionals or the type of people who just download everything (or download an entire album for one song).

The upload is slooww. I've been running 17 hours now and only have 2400 of my 2666 songs uploaded.
  • boasistboasist Troy
    edited November 2011
    My upload took about 4 days - 19k songs.

Ardichoke - No, anything you buy from google does NOT count against your 20k limit.

The UI leaves much to be desired, I'm just in the browser though on PC and iOS.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Lincoln wrote:
    When Apple brings any feature Android has to the iPhone, everyone banters about how Apple is just copying and *finally* catching up. When Google copies iCloud, well by golly look at the future they're showing us! In fact, the word "iCloud" has never appeared in an Icrontic article, including this one.

If it's not on Icrontic it's because none of our writers decided to write about it. I've honestly never heard of iCloud, and I'm not an iOS 5 user. It only works on iOS 5 devices.

Google Music works on any device. It's a bit more universal, and it has a wider appeal.

Hey, if you want more Apple content on the site, bring on some Apple writers! You know I'll publish it! :D
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    My entire collection of music I've purchased on CD and converted to MP3 as well as music purchased digitally in iTunes and Amazon marketplace comes to a total of 2666 songs, after exactly 20 years of collecting. People who have close to 20,000 songs are either professionals or the type of people who just download everything (or download an entire album for one song).

The upload is slooww. I've been running 17 hours now and only have 2400 of my 2666 songs uploaded.

I've got some 4000+ songs uploading since this morning at 7:30, 1500 are done as of 1:30pm. Not bad if you ask me.
    edited November 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    I haven't. Possibly stupid questions: are you actually using three different accounts to sign into music manager? Have you tried uninstall/reinstall?

No, I've never used gMusic before today, and I only just ran the install for the first time. I guess it'll get fixed soon? The service sounds like a cool idea. I can finally stop storing music on my home PC.

*longs for the day he doesn't even need a hard drive anymore.
  • ChoochChooch K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    20k? Oh, the amount of Kpop I could share.
    edited November 2011
    Found a workaround by installing it on another PC in the house, and sharing my music folder with that PC.

Not that I ever listen to any of that music. I haven't added to or listened to that collection since I discovered Pandora. :/
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I see 20k songs, but is there a max size as far as GB? TB?

Can you put 20k uncompressed songs on google music?
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    250MB per track is the only limitation I've seen.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Basil wrote:
    250MB per track is the only limitation I've seen.

that, is quite generous.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I must say Brian, you did that, without a doubt, LIKE A BAWSE.