Skyrim needs an Origin DLC

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Gaming
all through my play through of Skyrim I never felt connected to my character.

where did I come from?

why am I dovahkiin?

who are my parents?

why was I crossing the border?

how did I get caught?

I hope Bethesda releases an origin DLC of some sort that answers these questions.

I save Skyrim, but why?

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    In all the Elder Scrolls games this is always left open. The protagonist is always some kind of prisoner, usually for an unknown crime, with no past at all.

I think they do this intentionally to allow the character background to be imagined by the player. I always answer those questions for myself when I start up an Elderscrolls character, and let those answers guide my character development. This is one of my favorite things about Elder Scrolls.

I would be disappointed if they decided to go back and tell the pre-prisoner story. It doesn't belong.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    CB wrote:
    In all the Elder Scrolls games this is always left open. The protagonist is always some kind of prisoner, usually for an unknown crime, with no past at all.

I think they do this intentionally to allow the character background to be imagined by the player. I always answer those questions for myself when I start up an Elderscrolls character, and let those answers guide my character development. This is one of my favorite things about Elder Scrolls.

I would be disappointed if they decided to go back and tell the pre-prisoner story. It doesn't belong.

I'm completely the opposite, and honestly, now that I have finished the game, have no motivation to play it again as I know I will just feel like a "poster hero"

Games need a past, they need a beginning. Sorta like how Christopher Nolan did Batman.

I need a Skyrim Begins!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    With my Nord at least I imagined that I was attempting to cross the border after having killed an Imperial soldier harassing me for the worship of Tiber Septim. In an attempt to escape the authorities before anyone managed to report the crime I fled south whereon I met up with the Stormcloaks guarding Ulfric and sensing a camaraderie I joined them on their trek up until being captured by the Imperials.

I too agree that an Origin DLC shouldn't be done, it removes the ability to decide on one's own character entirely and would make me feel like I was being forced into the role of Skyrim's saviour rather than doing it of my own accord or free will.
    edited November 2011
    but, you ARE forced in to being the hero of Skyrim...

The question I want answered, is why

WHY AM I DOVAHKIIN?
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited November 2011
    You're not at all forced... I dropped the main quest the moment that I got out of that cave. And can't even figure out which one of my quests that it is
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Yeah I should start the main quest; I suppose I'd like to see a dragon at some point. Level 22 and haven't fought one yet.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited November 2011
    The dragon bit is like the Gates from Oblivion. In that once you kill your first dragon they become available. Fortunately dragons add a lot of fun and tension to Skyrim. Something that I never found in the gates in Oblivion. They were just annoying and a served only as yet another source for muchkinning the game.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, really even if you continue the quest into Riverwood all they do is ask you to talk to the Jarl of Whiterun and you can be like 'Yeah I'll get to it when I get to it.' if you really feel inclined you can simply ignore the whole thing in favour of the side-quests.
    edited November 2011
    I guess you "could" play Skyrim like the Sims and never have an end game. It could be your second life.

But bitch smacking dragons around with shouts is the best part imo
    edited November 2011
    Also, anyone else wish you could play the evil guy. The fact that I can kill dragons, but not some NPC's (children for example) is lame.

For example: I would love to just go
    kill Ulfric and General Tullius and all the Jarls and end the civil war
    and be the badass ruler of all of Skyrim that everyone feared. Skyrim would bow to me and my army of dragons

edit:> i don't believe in killing children, i just believe if a game includes killing of humans, none should be exempt
    edited November 2011
    Likely because the murder of children is frowned upon and hasn't existed in video games since (I believe) the original Fallout whereon it was quickly patched out. I'd assume that allowing a feature like that (Outside of fan-mods, which I hope don't exist) would bump the rating up to adult and also result in the game being banned on a global level.

Although yes sometimes I do think of what it would be like to murder all the major NPCs and simply be the Emperor of Skyrim, of course my in-game morality is based largely off my own and I can never bring myself to perform obviously evil deeds. (Tried blowing up Megaton in FO3, as soon as the pretty fireworks disappeared I took note that I made a big mistake and promptly deleted the character)
    edited November 2011
    Well, to celebrate my ascension to level 25, I finally spoke to the Jarl of Whiterun and fought my first dragon :D DRAGONBORN!
  • FrenchieFrenchie Maryland
    edited November 2011
    Well, to celebrate my ascension to level 25, I finally spoke to the Jarl of Whiterun and fought my first dragon :D DRAGONBORN!

Hurray! Now you get the annoyance of not being able to fast travel because there is a dragon just in hearing distance of you after you walk out of a building
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Who fast travels? I have a horse and I use him. Fast traveling kills the immersion of the character and story. There are so many cool things that have happened along the roads between cities.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    People who have already done all the crap on the road use fast travel.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    People who find the things at points A and B to be more entertaining than what comes between.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Life's about the journey...
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    People who find the things at points A and B to be more entertaining than what comes between.

This.
    edited November 2011
    I fast travel all the time and have no regrets.

This Elder Scrolls story is the most complex and rich I've ever seen in a video game. The politics and racism and religious persecution, etc. I've never had such a hard time trying to figure out who's right and who's wrong; probably none of them.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    The best part? YOU are right.

Don't like the stormcloaks causing problems? Kill them bitches. Don't like the imperials? Knife in the back. Annoyed at the Naz...err, Telmar? Auf Wiedersehen. Dragons up in your bidness? OM NOM NOM DRAGON SOULS.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah I know; that's the beauty of it. I finally decided that a Dunmer would be more in line with the Imperial way of thought; being that the Nords are so overtly racist, it wouldn't be a stretch to think that a Dunmer would be like "FU racist Stormcloaks". But at the same time, the Stormcloaks are only fighting because the Imperials came in and OUTLAWED WORSHIP OF THEIR GOD, and forced their ways, culture, and leaders onto Skyrim. It's all very complex.
    edited November 2011
    Skyrim, 400,000 lines of conversation.

5 VOICE ACTORS!

profit?!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    Life's about the journey...

Video games != life
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    I'd assume that allowing a feature like that (kid killing) Outside of fan-mods, which I hope don't exist.

Those mods do exist, I used one in Fallout 3 because 1. They were dicks. 2 They aren't kids, they're pixels on a monitor. 3. Those pixels were dicks.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I'd rather have origin stories for all these damn factions. The first thing I get told to do is to join the Stormcloaks. Then the Imperials. Then the Companions. Then this. Then that. I have no idea who's good, who's bad, what they do... so I just haven't joined any of them.
    edited November 2011
    That's where playing Oblivion Sort of comes in handy, although the Stormcloaks didn't exist in those days.
    edited November 2011
    I joined the College at Winterhold (As a warrior it wasn't my greatest decision ever)

One quest in
    Apparently I'm destined to save the world from an unknown threat or some crap for a reason that goes completely unexplained and I've now taken as 'because I opened the vault'

And all I wanted to do was learn how to throw around better spells.
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, I'm ignoring the College/Bard stuff on my thief and will be doing so on my warrior.

Snarkasm wrote:
    I'd rather have origin stories for all these damn factions. The first thing I get told to do is to join the Stormcloaks. Then the Imperials. Then the Companions. Then this. Then that. I have no idea who's good, who's bad, what they do... so I just haven't joined any of them.

Having never played the others in the series, I sorta feel this way. However, I've been trying to pay attention to at least the "more important" seeming people and their dialogue and have discovered at least a cursory understanding of the history.
    edited November 2011
    If you REALLY want to you can read the lore books that are scattered around Skyrim, some of them are fun to read and most, if not all offer more insight into the story.

Now if only there were a Coles Notes on Skyrim's history.
    edited November 2011
    Ilriyas wrote:
    Now if only there were a Coles Notes on Skyrim's history.

At first, I was like "Sparknotes?" then I was like "Oh, Canada".