My network card is causing a problem for Google Music?

CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄ƷDer Millionendorf- Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Science & Tech
Got this response from the Google help team after troubleshooting out other possible causes:
Hi Cb,

Thank you for your reply. Your email was forwarded my way for further investigation.

This issue can also occur if your network interface card (NIC) doesn't have a unique MAC address. We've confirmed that this is the case with some Nvidia NICs, which appears to be the case with your MAC address based on your logs. Currently, a unique MAC address is required to authenticate computers used with the Music Manager.

For more information about your MAC address, please contact the
manufacturer of your NIC.

Regards,

Anna
The Google Music Team

I'm not sure I get that... Does she mean I need a MAC address unique to my network? because I surely have that. A MAC address unique to the internet? That seems like an unrealistic expectation, right?

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Ohohohoh maybe it's ME!
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Not again! You jerk!
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    They probably mean a MAC address unique to the Internet. MACs are supposed to be unique to the device and not reused (with some exceptions such as home routers that clone your MAC because of ISP restrictions). If NVidia is reusing MACs on multiple cards, they're doin it RONG.
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited November 2011
    Oddly enough, a lot of OEMs reuse MACs based on expected lifetime of parts and where in the world they have been shipped. Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned. That being said, you could probably clone an old cards MAC address to the machine and all would be well. If you have an old computer, ethernet card, wifi card, etc. laying around then I'd just "borrow" its MAC.
    edited November 2011
    Hatop wrote:
    Oddly enough, a lot of OEMs reuse MACs based on expected lifetime of parts and where in the world they have been shipped. Sometimes this doesn't work out as planned. That being said, you could probably clone an old cards MAC address to the machine and all would be well. If you have an old computer, ethernet card, wifi card, etc. laying around then I'd just "borrow" its MAC.

I've never heard of this. Is it difficult? Does it require soldering? Would it be easier to just buy a new NIC?
  • HatopHatop Alabama
    edited November 2011
    Its usually a registry change or a setting for a driver. Most modern NICs allow software modification of the MAC address. This URL explains the process for a various set of operating systems:
    http://www.irongeek.com/i.php?page=security/changemac
    edited November 2011
    I downloaded the MacMakeup software suggested on that page. Using the program was astonishingly easy, and now, with fresh newly randomized MAC in place, my Google Music client is finally working!

Thanks, Hatop!