If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

Icrontic Expo 2014: The gaming & general geekery event you don't want to miss. Read about what's new this year and then buy tickets here.

What's your internet speed?

Comments

• QCHQCH Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited Apr 2010

HOLY COW.... Comcast doing well for me!!!
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    Suddenly, we find ourselves with 24/2mb. Thanks AT&T!

edited May 2010
    OK... Here's Motorola Cliq on T-Mobile TETHERED.

• coldalarmcoldalarm England, UK
    edited May 2010
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! SoCal Icrontian
    edited May 2010
    My new DSL, 6.0/768, wireless Lappy across the house,

-Bobby
  • mondimondi Icrontian
    edited Jun 2010
    SEK299 a month which is more than most for the service, but I live just outside the initial fiber area.

• PeruviancocainePeruviancocaine Amsterdam.
    edited Jun 2010
  • ardichokeardichoke Buttes Master B Lansing, MI Icrontian
    edited Jun 2010
    This thread makes me realize how pathetic the broadband in the US is. I need to convince my company to open a data center in Europe and then transfer me there.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm 's-Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands Icrontian
    edited Jun 2010
    Come on over!
    edited Jun 2010
    Retested due to new local ISP.

• BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    edited Jun 2010
    ardichoke said:
    I need to convince my company to open a data center in Europe and then transfer me there.
    Stay away from the UK anyway, I get a pathetic 2MB down at my city centre place in Aberdeen and I'm paying for BT's top package....

To add to the rage this is my parents result, they are paying 1/3 of the price for twice the speed. :mean:

• Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited Jun 2010
    HTC EVO on sprint...

edited Oct 2010
    Looks like my improvement came through. Automatic upgrade to 80/8 thanks to DOCSIS 3.0 rollout.

• MJOMJO Denmark
    edited Oct 2010
    Here is one from Denmark. :)

The connection is ADSL 20/1.
    Will be upgraded 20/2 very soon at no extra charge. ;)
    But I really really want to have a fiber connection instead.
    It's a lot faster and you get a much better upload speed.
    1 and 2 Mbit is ridiculous IMO.
    edited Oct 2010
    Don't even talk to me about 1-2Mbit/s up being bad. I'm lucky to get .3Mbit/s up. Competition my fat american ass.
    edited Oct 2010
    Of course they're competing - to see who can offer the least, charge the most, and retain the most customers.

US is way behind in a lot of areas, and it hurts.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek IREEELAND Icrontian
    edited Oct 2010
    Flatmate's daft £40 for 2Mb contract ended.

£20 with a decent provider gets;

Peaks at 1.1MBps on a good day, no caps, no shaping (yet). :rockon:
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    so our local cable company released 50/5 internet yesterday. I thought about getting it, but is $99/month and decided to sit the fence for now.

I do know that sometimes when they release a new speed tier, they upgrade us cheapasses speeds for free. So, what the hell, I'll reboot the modem and see if they gave me any lovin'. I pay for 12/1 speeds

shhh, don't tell anyone
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    What's the cap? Most ISPs don't offer that much bandwidth without some fine print.
    edited Dec 2010
    Thrax said:
    What's the cap? Most ISPs don't offer that much bandwidth without some fine print.
    250GB
    "You must comply with the bandwidth usage, data storage and other limitations on the Service that are in effect from to time. Mediacom has established a monthly data consumption threshold of 250Gigabytes (GB). If your usage exceeds these limitations, Mediacom may at its sole discretion , charge you for the excess usage, reduce transmission speed or other Service parameters, limit, suspend or terminate the Service or take other actions."
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    edited Dec 2010
    I love the language in that. I wish they would just say what they mean:
    You are limited to 250GB of transfer every month. If you go over that, we may decide to do one of the following: Charge you more, slow you down, shape your traffic, kill your account entirely, or maybe something else. In truth, we'll probably just send you a nastily-worded letter indicating that you'd better not do it again or else, since we really can't afford the PR hit we'll take if we start doing any of those things for real.
    edited Dec 2010
    AlexDeGruven said:
    I love the language in that. I wish they would just say what they mean:
    at least I can watch (cough Comcast) Netflix ;)
    edited Jun 2011
    cable guy is outside updating my coax... stole this quick test before he disconnected me...

edited Jun 2011
    yippee DOCSIS 3.0

• UPSLynxUPSLynx The Dean of Computer Graphics Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited Jun 2011
    She's fast enough for you, old man.
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Jun 2011
    At the Royal Norwegian Naval Academy dorm:

To closest server:

Over the pond:

edited Jun 2011
    Looks like I got auto-upgraded again.

• swithdrawnswithdrawn Savannah, GA
    edited Jun 2011

It used to be ~25mbps, we moved and now it is <2. For the same price! F#*(
    edited Jun 2011
    Snarkasm said:
    Looks like I got auto-upgraded again.

someday the US will catch up...:rolleyes2
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Punta Gorda, FL Icrontian
    edited Aug 2011
    Download 16.4 Mbps. Speedtest.net says 41+ Mbps. Upload 2.9 Mbps. Speedtest.net says 4.1 Mbps Xfinity. One of the reasons my upload is so low is that my modem is only DOCSIS 2.0. Xfinity network is DOCSIS 3.0. Speedtest.net used a fairly local, in-Florida, test server. The other results are from an out-of-US server. Xfinity is a Comcast service.
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Pokémaster, Watch Slut Toronto, ON Icrontian
    edited Aug 2011
    edited Aug 2011
    I'm being limited by our office firewall. I should run this test from the actual data center...
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited Aug 2011
  • JokkeJokke Nuvsvaag, Norway Icrontian
    edited Aug 2011
    After a major update of campus network

edited Aug 2011

Home DSL, No complaints.

-Digi
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Mountains Icrontian
    edited Aug 2011
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2011

Moved from AT&T U-verse to WideOpenWest.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited Dec 2011

AT&T U-Verse. Not too shabby for $30/month. Hopefully I can keep this in the new apartment dependent upon the quality of the phone wiring, otherwise I may have to get Comcast.

Wow...Delton, MI. That's in the middle of nowhere...
    edited Dec 2011
    I thought 1.5 was the best I can do. Someone at TLAN said I was getting better than that:

Seems so.

-Digi
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Not as tall as Bobby Tallbeer. Twilight Sparkle is overrated. Meechigan Icrontian
    edited Dec 2011
    Cheating because I'm at work:

edited Dec 2011
    The dirty dirty irony of my situation right now is that my home net is an order of magnitude faster than my work net. This should not happen :(
  • Why does the internet speed varies so much? According to this dutch site http://internetsnelheid-testen.nl/ my internet speed changed from 8mb to 2mb whitin 5 minutes?
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited Jan 2012
    Because this:
    New speed level of Comcast service here, to Atlanta, Ga. Not the best I have gotten.

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 30504 kbps (3813 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 3207 kbps (400.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • In Europe we got Fiber hah.

100Mbps connection to rest world, only limited by available bandwidth at other end.
  • Well I paying like 20 bucks for my current plan, they even have 300Mbps plan for like 35+ bucks and there are others ISP offering 1Gbps now, I'm satisfied with 100Mbps for now, coz it's fast enough for anything you trow at it.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited Jan 2012
    And the home connection:
    Not bad considering I pay for a 15Mb/s plan.
    Here they go from a 12 Mbps (which GOT 20+ frequently) to a to a 20+ plan that they say averages 23+ frequently. The 20 plus plan, which never reaches 30, is 8 dollars more than the 12ish plan. Thus I was encouraged to get a speedier plan-- their voice phone system now greets you with "Welcome to Comcast, home of the speed guarantee."

(Sprint was cutting into their business when they had cable only and the online connects were open to weather while Sprint had fiber) I used that to get a new cable run to house from base of pole FREE. I think it might have disintegrated underground, as the summer rains keep it bathed in water and the lawn chemicals may damage its insulation over time. Old cable was 10+ years old, pre-HERE-hurricane.).

I got spoiled and wondered how fast it would be to get Linux DVD ISOs and let the install run online, the answer is about 15 minutes for a Fedora DVD ISO of 3 GB in size to 3.5 GB in size, and online installs run about 20 minutes if the installer installs 1234+ RPMs on my newest laptop. Fedoira now also in background will auto-update in background if it has an online connect all the time.
    Just received news that Fermilab will be only one of four labs in the USA to have 100Gbps WAN. Yeah, 100GB and not just one link either. We are also working, in conjunction with these other labs, to hit the 1Tbps WAN in the near future (3-5 years). Our national laboratories working on projects that will affect technology of the future. Remember that... ;)