So who here knows about long-press home

shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
edited December 2011 in Science & Tech
If you've got an android phone, holding the home button will bring up your recently opened programs. I just learned about it and found it quite useful...had no idea before last week, so I figured other people might not know about it as well.

Comments

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I just learned about it recently, also. I saw Betsy do it on her phone, and she was surprised that I didn't know. "Don't you read the manuals for your devices?" she asked.

I got RTFMN'd by my wife. :D
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    I did it by accident once, that's how I figured it out...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    RTFM, dudes.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    nope.jpg
    edited November 2011
    dealwithit.gif
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    On my G1, I long pressed all the buttons. Sometimes you had to long press just to get a press. And that's how discoveries are made.

Of course, for awhile I thought swearing at the phone was what brought up the recently opened programs list. Wrong association.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Older than the crust in Thrax's drawers.
    edited November 2011
    Kwitko wrote:
    Older than the crust in Thrax's drawers.

y2dsA.png
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Thrax wrote:
    y2dsA.png

megusta?.jpg
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited November 2011
    Some custom Eclair ROM's I've used had it awhile back but it wasn't 'til FroYo that it was standard.
  • V-PV-P State College, PA Member
    edited December 2011
    I'm sure most of you guys have realized this already but holding menu brings up the keyboard on any screen. So far I haven't found a use for doing it since the keyboard comes up automatically after clicking on an input field but you never know.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I think that's mostly in there for phones with a physical keyboard as there are conditions where they soft keyboard wouldn't pop up on such devices.

EDIT: Also, for apps like sshdroid which, at least the last time I used it, didn't automatically pop a keyboard up.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    In ICS, at least with the lightly-tweaked Modaco ROM I'm running, long-press does nothing for any button, including menu. Menu has been more or less removed, and following ICS UI conventions, should be placed contextually as pretty much a vertical ellipsis where you need to provide more options; as such, it's not even guaranteed to be there lots of times, so it has no functionality now.

Long-press home has been sort of replaced with the task manager. It's not quite the same in practice, since long-press home could bring up apps that you'd manually killed and the task manager can't, but in most cases it's functionally equivalent.