OpenCL on Radeon HD 4200?

candreasencandreasen Minneapolis, MN
edited December 2011 in Hardware
I have been trying to get setup Bitcoin mining on my pc while I'm gone and it seemed like was going to work but even after installing the latest drivers and then the individual OpenCL driver no miners would recognize the card(integrated Radeon HD 4200 as previously stated) seemingly because the card didn't use OpenCL and so I looked and some people said the card didn't support OpenCL but I had just downloaded a driver specific to my card specifically for OpenCL.
Anyone know whats going on?

Thanks,
candreasen

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    The 4000 Series does not support OpenCL. Only the Radeon HD 5000 Series, 6000 Series and any future products.
  • candreasencandreasen Minneapolis, MN
    edited December 2011
    Oh odd they have a driver for it then?
    edited December 2011
    The OpenCL driver only enables support for compatible architectures.
    edited December 2011
    So why have it available for non-compatible architectures?
    edited December 2011
    AMD and NVIDIA both release what's called "unified drivers." These are complete driver packages that dynamically enable and disable software based on what's supported by the GPU you're installing to.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    You're missing the point: it's NOT available. The Catalyst driver is an "all-in-one" driver that packages support for a whole range of GPUs. If you happen to have an OpenCL supporting GPU, it will install OpenCL support. Would you rather they offer different installers for every architecture? No, neither would I. A single installer for their entire product line. Makes sense to me.
    edited December 2011
    I see but still there is an individual driver for OpenCL as well.
    On a side note would a CAL based miner work on this card?
    edited December 2011
    A driver still doesn't mean anything if the architecture doesn't support what the driver enables. The driver is for people who want to specifically enable OpenCL support on 5000 and 6000 Series cards; it's a smaller download for people who have a graphics driver they're happy with already installed.

AMD CAL is also for 5000 and 6000 Series.
    edited December 2011
    Oh that sucks, is there anything that I could use my graphics card with to bitcoin mine?
    edited December 2011
    No, you'll need an upgraded video card, which would solve two problems for you ;)
    edited December 2011
    Kinda sucks since this computer is under 1 year old.
    Also any reccomendations that would run a fairly new game on low graphics with at least like 25-30 FPS?
    edited December 2011
    Radeon 6850.
    edited December 2011
    Would that work well on a system with a 300W PSU because it recommends 500W on amd's site?
    edited December 2011
    No, it would not. But to be perfectly honest, any video card you could upgrade to with that power supply would not offer you a considerably better experience than what you're already getting. If you want better graphics, you'll need a new power supply, too.
    edited December 2011
    Would a 400W PSU work, I do have one of those in a different computer I could switch it for?
    edited December 2011
    I'd really recommend a good 600W PSU.
    edited December 2011
    Yeah I wish this wasn't necessary for a newer computer. I might look into that but I will probably just wait a couple years and get a new computer(one thats good this time).
    edited December 2011
    It's not typically necessary, but the PC you purchased is more suitable for office work, as opposed to gaming. :)
    edited December 2011
    Thrax: Would the SAPPHIRE Radeon 6670 low-profile card be a viable upgrade path for him that wouldn't require a new PSU?
    edited December 2011
    Hmm, good call. It could be the right part, yes, but I get the impression that he might be looking for a little more performance.