[BLOG] I'm building an army

BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of PropagandaOKC Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Probably my geekiest hobby is playing tabletop wargames. I've been playing Warhammer 40K since junior high. The community is great and many of the long-time players have developed strong friendships outside the gaming scene. It's sort of a community like Icrontic in that respect...

So right now I'm in a league where we start building a small 750 point army. Each month we add a few more points until in the end we will all have 2,000 point forces. We're encouraged to paint the models as we go and to try new things. I'm building a Chaos Space Marine Khorne Berzerker army. It's all about head-on assaults and brutal close combat. I owned at the first tournament we had.

My new army (front)
blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=3&stc=1&d=1223563353

and back
blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=2&stc=1&d=1223563353

If you aren't familiar with Games Workshop and their Warhammer lines, I'd suggest picking up Dawn of War; a great RTS computer game that'll immerse you in the world.

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    +cred. That is insanely geeky.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    That table kicks ass
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    DARK ELDAR!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Thanks! We're quite proud of the tabletops. The store has two large tables up front with interchangeable tops. Each one is fully painted and sculpted. We currently have a dessert, the urban table in the photos, a fissured ice plane, a funky one with lava, and some beautiful green rolling hills with a small brook.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    wow, impressive. You paint 'em yourself? If there was people around here that played 40k, id have a Chaos army in a heartbeat, but sadly, a 40k player has yet to be found *cry*
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Yep, I painted them myself. They're nothing special but look good on the tabletop. You don't have to be an amazing painter to create a visually stunning force. All it takes is a good choice of colors and the right method.

For this army, all the soldiers were spray painted with red Krylon primer as a base coat. I then took black paint and liberally applied it to the guns, hand weapons, and metal bits. Their heads were kept separate, as was the lower body of the monster tank/walker (It's a Soul Grinder model converted into a Chaos Defiler with close combat weapons) and they were sprayed with black primer. I drybrushed metallic gold over everything metalic, and then heavily applied it on the shoulder pad and knee pad piping and the icons on each soldier's chest. The heads have gas masks. I drybrushed them with the gold to bring up the metal accents and then painted over the gas masks with brown paint and painted flesh colors on their heads.

Everything was then glued together and I used Didi's Magic Ink to wash over everything, muting the colors and filling in any gaps. It does an amazing job of shading things and added lots of definition to the models. Some wood glue was watered down and smeared around the bases and then I gave it a nice sprinkle of flock and was pretty much done. Took just a few hours to do the whole army.