[BLOG] A bad time for Canadians to buy hardware?

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited November -1 in Community
Well it was only a matter of time before the world-wide economic turmoil would spoil the fun of Canadian hardware enthusiasts. It is amazing just how quickly the price of pc components has jumped in response to the weak Canadian dollar (in comparison to the US dollar). In a matter of two weeks, I've seen CPU, memory and video card prices increase by almost 20%. Thankfully, the loonie has rebounded a bit since its recent nose dive but the fact remains—hardware is more expensive than it was only weeks earlier for those north of the border.

I'm no economics major, but I do find it odd that it took so long for hardware prices equal that of American retailers as the Canadian dollar reached parity and eventually exceeded the value of the US dollar earlier this year. In contrast, how is it that prices increase so quickly when the Canadian dollar drops?

Looks like I'm going to be holding off for a bit before buying that new motherboard I've been eying.

Comments

• TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    I'm no economics major, but I do find it odd that it took so long for hardware prices equal that of American retailers as the Canadian dollar reached parity and eventually exceeded the value of the US dollar earlier this year.

This is so true. Gas is the best example of this phenomenon.

Speaking of triggers....I pulled mine this past weekend....

Intel Q8200
    Asus P5Q-E
    2Gb Corsair Dominator memory
    Asus EAH4870 video
    OCZ Gladiator HS/F
    Corsair TX650W PSU
    Antec 900 case

I've been making a point at not crunching the numbers yet, but, the prices have risen so greatly in the past two weeks that I was unable to buy the 64Gb Solid State drive I wanted so badly. I roughly estimate that not only did I not get that drive but aside from a couple sales I managed, I paid out $150-$200 more. Two weeks ago I could have had that drive for $197.00, now, the drive is $303.00! Good thing I bought my 2 - 24" Samsung's when I did...

Almost a year before prices came even remotely close to parity with other currencies, it was all reversed in just two short weeks....sigh....