[BLOG] An old X850 and a lot of patience - Part 8

lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
edited November -1 in Community
I just love getting those little post-office delivery tags at my door. Its just such an exciting experience no matter what it is.

You guessed it—I just received JRW21's X850XT in the mail! Well, it actually arrived a few days ago but I never found the time to get to the post-office. I also got a couple of other goodies including an old Maze 4 waterblock and some Zalman ramsinks that I'll be putting to good use.

JRW21's card is a Crossfire edition card produced a bit later than the original batch of X850s like my old Sapphire card. There are some notable changes to the PCB layout, but most of the components are still in place and unchanged. The two solder pads I remember destroying so clearly for the VGPU mod are just like the old card.

blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=38&stc=1&d=1229995891

Not much appears different from the front. Most of the components are the same save a crossfire chip beneath the cooler.

blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=39&stc=1&d=1229995890

One interesting piece of information I stumbled across is the "Non qualification sample" sticker on the back of this card. Looks like this one was one of the first Crossfire cards! There is a number 006 hand written in gold writing near the slot. Collectors card perhaps! Too bad I'm going to have to treat it so poorly :)

There are some differences at the rear of the card. I'm hoping none of these changes impact the documented vmods for this card. I suppose there is really only one way to find out!

blog_attachment.php?attachmentid=40&stc=1&d=1229995890

Time to get back to work!

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Have I lost it? Where do you attach the Crossfire bridge?
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    This thing is old school. No crossfire bridges back in `06 :)

http://techreport.com/articles.x/8826/2
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    The X850 required one of those stupid external "Y" dongles for Crossfire.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Wow. Forgot about those.
  • JRW21JRW21 Dunlap, IL
    Ah, glad the card arrived! Now lets see some crazy things happen with it!
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    Thanks again for the great deal on the card JRW21! I'm going to be ordering some 3/8" barbs for the Maze 4 and I'll be getting started shortly. I've got a time senstive review that I need to finish in the next couple of weeks. After that, I'll be starting the vmods and kicking it into high gear :)