[BLOG] A venture in to 64 BIT os

GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 LifeAkron, PA Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Ah its the day after Christmas! I am stuffed with ham and turkey, loaded down with eggnog and whats this? a version of 64bit Vista is sitting on my father desk?

" Dad! When did you get this? " I asked " I received it along with my original copy some year ago"

Too make a long story short I borrowed it to mess around a bit

I am new to 64bit computing, Yes I have had a 64bit CPU for years now but never messed with the available software that goes along with it. Now the one thing that I didn't like was it was Vista.

I have bounced back and forth between xp and vista, in fact my wifes PC is vista. they have done a lot to patch it up and all so I decided the 64 bit version cant be too bad.

I arrive home put my daughter to sleep, Wife is working and me well I start saving my saved game files and some other random crap off my C drive and pop in the new dvd.

Now to time it I also popped in a blue ray : Resident evil Extinction into my new fancy blue ray player. ( if you have a high def TV you must have a blue ray! ) And started it up

Now after hitting the first initial buttons to get the pc going It took off and I turned around and watched some zombie killing.

I periodically turned around to check on it. 32 minutes later i was booted into the first splash screen, "Not too bad" I thought

I did some installation of my 9800 GTX drivers and then the last thing was my sound driver

Now this was one thing I always had an issue with on vista, On board sound

On board sound and vista do NOT like each other, I have always had an issue, Doest matter the mobo or sound chip set, Ive never gotten them to play nice

and unfortunately this is the case as I type here today, STILL no sound I have installed the driver over and over again it goes thou the motions and it reboots only to my unsurprise to say " No audio driver loaded "

So i cant say my venture has been too bad but the sound issue is still a problem and I will still work on it. But I have a feeling I will be picking up a pci sound card soon if i wish too keep vista 64

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    What motherboard? I've been running Vista 64 on at least one rig since it's release and the only sound issues I've had have been with add-in cards, specifically Creative.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    3 dif asus boards an abit board and also a dfi
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    Interesting, I've run Vista 64 on ASUS Maximus Formula SE, DFI UT LP CFX3200-DR, and DFI DK X38-T2RB all using on-board audio without so much as a hiccup.
    i am not sure myself!
    Now this is weird I uninstalled the Drivers from the manufacture and i have sound but its a generic driver that list it as " High def audio " and thats it
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    I've never had problems with onboard sound with vista 64.

i have the gigabyte dq6-p35, though.

what are the chipsets on the boards you've tried, gnome?
    mostly the realtek sound I Dled L4D last night went to set up the mic and yea that didn't work so well! So I pooped in a Audigy2 couldn't get that to work at all. So alas Xp is back and with a vengeance!
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    No problems with the Realtek 8112 with vista.
  • I'm using an audigy 2 with vista. No problems here. And I could never go back to xp. But I can't say I lova vista. Just perfer it to xp.