[BLOG] Smoking & Electronics....

trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
The wife and I have quit smoking... We tried everything under the sun to quit before and failed, this time we took the Champix medication and we are 7 weeks smoke free so far.

It's still a daily struggle, not one of those I'm gonna kill something struggle, but you are constantly aware of all the smoking triggers... 30 years of habit is a hard thing to break... Smokes and I have been through and seen a lot during our time together, but the fork in the road has finally arrived and it's time to part ways.

When a buddy heard of the Quest to Quit, he brought over an Arduino Diecimila compatible board for me to tinker with. The board came from seeed_studio and looked like this when I got it.

FreeduinoKit.jpg

So I dug out the old Weller WTCPL soldering iron and got to work, an hour later all assembled and ready to test.

th_FreeduinoAssembled.jpg

Years ago if you wanted to play with a microcontroller you had to write your logic code for the circuit, put the microcontroller in a programmer and send your code to it, back and forth from board to programmer if things didn't go right.

Arduino's on the other hand are jumpered to your breadboard project, plug it in USB and send code right from the editor. You can tell in an instant if things are working or not. If not, adjust your code and send it again, makes testing real easy.

Now I just need a project to tinker away with... Maybe a BlueTooth jammer as the kid in the apartment upstairs has a Wii and plays it robustly... :grumble:

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Good on ya, troll. Cheers to week 8! :cheers2:
  • Great job on quitting smoking. I'm trying to get my act together and make a solid plan to be smoke free. Just wish I could para shoot into the middle of a deserted forest somewhere, without cigarettes, and be about a weeks walk away from a pack of smokes. In all my attempts, I've never made it past the first day. That first 24 hours gets me every time. But I'd think the 2nd 24 may be just as bad.
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Thanks guys!

@Komete
    Cold Turkey is really tough, ask your Dr. about Champix, really takes that nasty edge off.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    Tell us about whatever you decide to make with that! I'm sure I'm not the only other Arduino programmer on Icrontic.

-drasnor :fold:
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    Will do drasnor, just waiting for my Maxim samples to arrive in the mail.