[BLOG] The Philosophers go nightstalking

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Tonight my son Perry wanted to come with me; we left at 1am.

He said we were a club called The Philosophers. I'm down with that. We put our hoods up and said we were the nightstalkers; seekers of truth; druids; one with the winds; warriors; travellers.

It was very cold and windy, unseasonably so. Yet onward we marched, into the biting gusts.

It's funny, I JUST start doing the first physical activity I've done in years, and already the peanut gallery (*looks at Komete :hrm:) says that "a midnight stroll" isn't going to do anything for me.

Bah, whatever; I'm not doing this for you. I've got my own reasons, and I know this: Walking a mile, jogging 1/8th of a mile right now, at the shape I'm in, is far far better than doing what I would normally do: Sit at this computer.

At any rate, we stalked the night, we talked philosophy and nature, and before I knew it, I was ready to run. I ran half a block again, and it hurt slightly less and I was slightly less burning-in-the-legs when I stopped. I think a week or two of this, and I'll be ready to increase the distance up to maybe a 1/4 mile. We'll see.

And yes, fatcat, I drank a shit ton of water today. **** you <3

philosophers.jpg
Philosophers

Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    The naysayers can kiss off. You're doing the right thing, going into it at a proper rate. Increase as you gain confidence.

And fatcat's right, lotsa water through the day makes a massive difference. I have a water bottle with me at all times of the day, constantly slugging the stuff down.

Glad day 2 went well!
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    Awesome. Keep it up!
  • JasonJason H. R. Chufnstuf PDX Icrontian
    P.S. That's how I conditioned myself to jog as well.

It started out with me walking home from work. Then one day I tried to jog as far as I could, which turned out to be a couple of blocks before I thought I was going to die.

After a week or two, I could jog about 5 blocks, then walk 5, then jog 5. After another week or so, I was able to jog 10 blocks without stopping. Now I'm up to about 36 blocks non-stop.

Just make sure to make it a regular thing, slowly increase the distance and rest for a few days in between longer runs and walks to help your muscles heal.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    Dont worry man anything is better than nothing
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    Don't mind the peanut gallery walking is an excellent exercise, especially if you do so for about an hour. I tend to just walk for an hour then do some yoga when I get home.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    <3 Brian. Make it happen.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    First we walk. Then we jog. Then we run.

10 seconds, a minute, a mile.

Just push yourself a little farther every day, and success will come. I guarantee it.

//EDIT: I should mention that my mom lost over 70 pounds through walking and dietary changes.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    I prescribe a course of Leeches.
  • MochanMochan Philippines
    Even just walking every day will bring a huge change. Supplement it wiht some dietary changes and you'll get back to a "normal" body that isn't grossly overweight. Add in some additional toning exercises like resistance training or yoga and you will get a buff body that the girls will want.

Take note that with dietary changes you don't have to deprive yourself of everything. Just this week I lost probably 10 pounds (not sure -- I don't fixate on weight but rather on how my clothes fit me and how sexy I look -- you should probably use a scale though so you can objectively track your results). Ever since I broke up with my GF I seem to have gotten into better shape. I guess my girl really just made changes to my lifestyle that made me gain weight. Now that I'm single again I am all of a sudden in better shape than I was for the past 2 years.

And this is with me still eating ice cream, chocolate and the occasional potato chip. My mom saw me this morning as I went out for a morning walk and commented that I really looked a lot thinner. However I still have pretty healthy eating habits despite binging on "bad" stuff like that. I eat a lot of oatmeal (and I love it -- I add sugar though), I drink a ton of water and I avoid eating red meat fats and sparingly eat red meat. I eat just a few veggies and fruits a day. Two days ago I had 3 slices of pizza and Shakey's Mojo's. Yesterday I had curry. It's not exactly a nutritionist's diet. But despite that I've been losing weight just on this and doing yoga and taking a walk about thrice a week for the past two weeks.

Enjoy the process Prime! It's easier than it sounds. I think that's one thing you should keep in mind: you shouldn't be thinking of this as punishing yourself. You're not gonna last that way. You need to enjoy the process. Think of your end goal -- ****ing those hot, sexy women, and just think of this as a step towards that goal. The more you feel good about this, the more effective it will be for you.