[BLOG] I guess I am a Chrome user now.

RWBRWB Icrontian
edited November -1 in Community
Been a big FireFox fan for as long as I can remember, there was a point when Opera took over for a short bit but I went right back to FF for some reason, and perhaps that's what may be happening now as well.

I'm no FF expert though, I knew how to use it and enjoyed it and the many add-ons I could have but those Add-Ons seemed to occasionally just get in the way. I have a weird form of OCD about cleanliness that has developed since high school about things needing to just be redone instead of cleaned up. An example would be if someone; God help me; uses my computer for a while and I am not around for that while. They use the desktop to store EVERYTHING(you know, a thousand icon's of random poo). They install things wherever they please, and just make a muck of my system; God help them when I find them. I could go in and clean it all up and make it right back to normal, but my OCD kicks in and I just have to wipe the system and start from scratch or else I'll just feel dirty.

This of course extends to most everything in my life, including the browser. Sometimes I'm the one who makes the mess, so in the case of my browser I go Add-On crazy but some add-ons work well with others and some don't. I want it simple but also do all the cool stuff it claims without all the button's and ugliness. It just doesn't seem to work that way. So I usually have to clear all add-on's and start from scratch(not reformat in this case.. probably... usually).

So here came Chrome, something new for me to play with because I've been hiding under a rock for sometime. I have used it briefly before but went back to FF though. I just wanted to play with it for a bit and go back again, but I found that after a couple days I didn't care so much about going back. Then I asked myself why I don't care about my add-on's. I think the answer is simple... it's just a browser that works.

It's a simple browser at face, and I think that's what I like about it. Screw Add-On's! I don't need them. Anything I can do in this browser I know I could do in FF, but for some reason I now like it better. I might go back to FF, but right now I just ain't sure it will happen.

I guess mentioning some of the things I've come to use the most would be nice. The built in Task Manager is great and probably my favorite part. The Web Application Shortcut is also a big plus. Though I do wish I had access key's, I would like to start using those with Icrontic as I recently found out we had them while reading random posts. Chrome apparently doesn't offer support for them.

Comments

• TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    For some reason, and I really don't know why. I have been hooked on chrome too. Ive been using firefox for a couple of years, but Lately I have been using nothing but chrome.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am 100% chrome. I love it.
  • ButtersButters CA Icrontian
    99.9% chrome at home. I always use the latest betas.
  • The competition for your browser has been fantastic. Even with IE8, Explorer does not completely suck anymore, that's what competition will do.

Firefox is a richer playground of options, but Chrome just works, works fast and works lean. It is growing on me as well.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    I was having some random issues with sites having DNS trouble, I attributed to my ISP but because of the randomness it didn't occur often enough to warrant me going back to FF for a couple hours as I'd probably forget about anyways. But did a quick Google search on the issue and decided to turn off DNS Pre-Fetching and see if that helped and so far the past few hours seems rather flawless and potentially faster but the latter could just be my imagination.

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't Windows cache DNS address's? If so, why pre-fetch them in the browser?