MOBO/PSU no molex connectors, what to do?

edited December 2011 in Hardware
I acquired a computer from one of my teachers at school, because it didn't work and I had a mobo and processor I wanted to put in it. But my new Gigabyte z68xp ud3p mobo has no molex connectors for the fans in the case and neither does the psu, but it does have some extra pcie 6 pin connectors. I tried using a small 3 pin sysfan to molecule adapter to run my fans but I they still don't work. Any suggestions? I thought about pcie 6pin to molex 4pin, but havnt been able to find any cables that go that way

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Sorta confused by your description, but you can always buy molex splitters and fan to molex adapters.
  • edited December 2011
    PSU and MOBO both don't have molex connectors. And I tried to use a 3pin system fan to 4pin molex adapter, but it doesn't work. I know the fans are good because I attached them to the computer next to them and they worked there

So I'm thinking a pcie to molex adapter might work, but those don't seem to be available

The fans are molex already but I have nothing to connect them to in this case that works
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    How do you have a PSU with no molex connectors?
  • edited December 2011
    I have no idea...its an Antec 1k watt truepower quattro model# tqw 1000
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    It's a modular power supply. It should have come with connectors. Your teacher should have them sitting around in a box, or you'll have to order some.
  • edited December 2011
    Ya I looked on Antec it says it should have come with 9

Hopefully I can find a place up here in Alaska that has some and isn't over 50mi away
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    Ya I looked on Antec it says it should have come with 9

Hopefully I can find a place up here in Alaska that has some and isn't over 50mi away

Ok, if the fans are 12 volt, yellow on PSU connector should be 12 Volt and RED on fan should be 12 Volt. Black on both go together. RED for PSU is 5 volt only, will not run most fans.

Some folks would run some fans (varied by fan if would work or not) as follows:

Yellow PSU to RED fan;
    Red PSU to BLACK fan.

This powered fan to 7 volt, lowest speed(or nothing if fan would not run until it had 8 volt fed to it).

I used the normal:

Yellow PSU to Red Fan;
    Black PSU to Black Fan.

This powered fan to 12 volt, full speed. What can I say, I had quiet fans.

John.
  • looks like my teachers wife hauled a box of cables to the trash while they were unpacking their house months ago, not cool, oh well, I'll look at a few more computer stores up here before getting a hold of Antec to see if they have the cables I need.
    That sucks :( Sorry, man.
  • well Antec is sending me a free cable and front IO panel for my antec case also for free, sounds like a good deal to me FREE :D
    Nice!
  • ;( the IO panel got lost in the mail and they have none left as it is a discontinued item, and they have no more of that part.

Maybe I'll have to try and Jerry Rig up some front USB ports somehow........