Clean a laptop heatsink

13»

Comments

• edited December 2011
    Is easily to fix as this looks.
  • My hp 520 was shutting down spontaneously all the time. I've cleaned the heat sink and cooling fan. My desktop got corrupted and I lost a lot of data because of the constant shutting down and my efforts at restarting - i think.
    I took it to a local computer repair shop and after £60 for reinstalling software, retrieving data, it's still shutting down all the time. What could possibly be wrong? I am a student and can't afford to pay any more.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    HDD could be going bad. Easiest way is to shutdown, pull HDD out to verify manufacturer (as in, Western Digital, Seagate, Hitachi, etc), download and burn UBCD to a disc/USB, and run the manufacturer test after booting from that CD/USB. Personally, I recommend the manufacturer test AND Hitachi's Drive Fitness Tool (long test).

If it passes both tests, then you can also try just running chkdsk (windows key + r, chkdsk /r in the box, type y to schedule a chkdsk for next reboot, and reboot) to see if it was just some software issues.
  • Hi great read, really appreciate your efforts!

My issue is that I do not want to let go of my A30, obsessive compulsive I am sure, however, I want to upgrade, various components, so it is fast and more reliable and up to date almost alongside today's units. But everyone tells me it can not be done! I don't think that is true, I mean I am sure it can be done it just may be difficult and I might have to make some room in the unit or something. I just find it hard to believe that all of today's computers are thin and components are getting smaller than ever, and that I can not find compatible parts to install, that are either from other labels. Or maybe I just have not talked to the right people or found the right forums or websites hence this comment :0)

Can you please help?

Best Regards
    Fred

P.S. if your wondering? Is it capable to replace the motherboard, HDD, CPU, and basically everything else.
  • The heatsink in my Toshiba was almost the exact same as pictured here! Thanks for the great advice :)
  • SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ! ! my acer Ferrari 5000 laptop cant operate for more than 5 minutes after starting. Its shuts off just like that. Then when you restart again it shuts off when booting and the shutting off time gets shorter again and again. I've tried all these great advice - cleaning the heatsink with a brush, removing the thermal paste build up and cleaning surfaces etc.etc. but this seems to be an extraordinary problem. What could be wrong please ? ? ?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Have you tried running the system (from cold) elevated? Prop it up on a couple doorstops or something else that would leave breathing room under the system, and see if that extends it's time running. Maybe even try an icepack underneath - just to see if that's the problem, not as a permanent solution.

If it is heat, then you may not have reseated the heatsink on the CPU properly. That can make a CPU get hot real quick.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    null said:

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ! ! my acer Ferrari 5000 laptop cant operate for more than 5 minutes after starting. Its shuts off just like that. Then when you restart again it shuts off when booting and the shutting off time gets shorter again and again. I've tried all these great advice - cleaning the heatsink with a brush, removing the thermal paste build up and cleaning surfaces etc.etc. but this seems to be an extraordinary problem. What could be wrong please ? ? ?

Also, you said you removed the thermal paste and cleaned the surface, but did you apply new thermal pads after? As CB said you may not have good contact with all the surface that need cooling. If you did, did you use thermal paste or pads when resetting the heatsink? I would recommend pads because not every chip surface will match up exactly with a heatsink and the pads are a little more forgiving.