Giant Catan needs help with funding

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    For just a moment, I thought those were 2x4s.
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    I hate asking stupid questions, but since the board will be so large, I assume it's designed to have people walk on it without ruining anything?
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    right.
    edited August 2011
    Badass.
    edited August 2011
    Thanks, anonymous PayPal donor! This generous donation means I can start working on the tiles. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited August 2011
    Based on the photo of colors, I take it you plan to make it a standard 4-player version? Makes sense, since the 5-6 player expansion would likely bring the cost up over $1,000.
    edited August 2011
    Yeah. and since it's intended to be played by teams, it doesn't really need more than four players.
    edited September 2011
    Thanks to another generous anonymous donation, I'll be starting on making the board tiles as soon as I next get over to The Home Depot for the materials. :)
    edited December 2011
    Board tiles are in progress. I have the materials for the first set of board tiles (the 'hills' incidentally), but need help with it, and am waiting for a day when the person I need help from is free at the same time before I can continue.

In the mean time, I made the bricks and ore to go with the sheep (Vernors included for scale):

These were cut from blocks of upholstery-foam, and painted by hand. The colors have a bit more dimension to them IRL. This isn't all of them, of course, there are twenty of each. :)
  • Nice progress!
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    Holy crap this looks epic, never played Catan before but I've always been interested in learning. Once it gets done and (if) you bring it to an event can I watch? XD
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap this looks epic, never played Catan before but I've always been interested in learning. Once it gets done and (if) you bring it to an event can I watch? XD
    Of course! The whole point of the set is to turn Catan from a back-room event to a spectator sport. :)

Hopefully, you'll join us in a game as well. ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    If it will save on cost, I can volunteer to be a live action robber.
    edited January 2012
    If it will save on cost, I can volunteer to be a live action robber.
    Thank you, that won't be necissary, but your suggestion is perfectly timed because it's time to reveal:

The Robber (Athena included for scale)

• AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Do you still need money? I know I've been a total flake about getting it to you, but I'm ready right now! Let me give you money!
    Yes, addition funds will make the production go more quickly. :)

Paypal (paypal at cbdroege dot com) is the easiest at this point. Not sure why I bothered with ChipIn, no one seems to want to use it over just paypal-ing me, so the little progress bar is useless. :p
  • is the robber a cut-down bowling pin?
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    @CB, How much have you got so far?
    Yes! I discovered that you can bribe the guys at the bowling lanes to give you an old one under the table. It might not be this way everywhere, but the first couple places I visited said that they had a deal to ship the old ones off to be reconditioned and sold to people with in-home lanes. At the third place, I found a guy willing to give me one, and mark it off as too badly damaged to be reconditioned. It cost me a hefty fin! :D
    edited January 2012
    @CB, How much have you got so far?
    So far the wooden player pieces, are all finished, two colors of which have been stained. The robber is done, and the bricks and ore, all that you can see int his thread except the finished stain on the player pieces. I'm waiting until I get all four colors stained to take that photo. (Also: Sheep! but I didn't make those, I just bought them)

I also have the materials for one color of the hexagon tiles, and lots of nice plastic boxes to carry everything in (complete with a little dolly to strap them all to for easy transport).

Or were you asking how much money I've gotten? I think roughly $75 has been donated so far, and I've spent about twice that in my own funds. The $750 figure to complete is no longer accurate, as I've, with the purchase of the materials for the first tiles, downgraded the plans a bit. I haven';t added up the total cost again since that change. I proly should soon.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Fine, I'LL SAY IT since no one else will: BUTTPLUG BUTTPLUG BUTTPLUG

There, now we can move on.
    Fine, I'LL SAY IT since no one else will:
    You've done the Lord's work man. I was resisting some seriously demonic urges to post something along those lines.
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    I think we all THOUGHT about it, but some of us are polite enough to not compare parts of @CB's project to items people stick up their asses. :p
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    I am not that person :D
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    You are now considering what was going through the minds of the bowling alley staff when CB was bartering for his buttplug skittle. D-:
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    You are now considering what was going through the minds of the bowling alley staff when CB was bartering for his buttplug skittle. D-:
    hahahahahahahahahaha, you guys are cruel.

On the note of the board itself keep it up mate! It looks awesome so far.
    Thanks for the donation, Annes!
    If it's any consolation, the only reason Prime's thoughts are accurate is the fact that the actual Catan robber looks like that to begin with. You just made it...life size.
  • Life size? If I were forced to choose between the two, I'd certainly choose the original robber, rather than CB's "life size" version. :hair: