USB CloudFTP device at CES 2012

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• RWBRWB Icrontian
    One of the biggest problems I see with this is for those reporters or anyone transferring files from their hotel rooms. Most hotels don't even have a 10Mb connection for the entire hotel, many still utilize a basic or fractional T1. They do not care to upgrade either even if they charge for access. I have to deal with this crap daily and it's only getting worse as more and more bandwidth becomes a requirement for most, even one Netflix connection requires more bandwidth than some hotels entire internet connection. It's ridiculous.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    We don't even bother with hotel wi-fi. We're both tethered through our mobiles. Nick's on Verizon and I'm on T-Mobile. Both are 4G and both are better than what the hotel is offering.
  • NiGHTSDavid Kenkel San Diego Icrontian
    The kickstarter video for this was very interesting and got a lot of attention - even Reddit picked it up. Hopefully the device gets off the ground, because it has a ton of potential for uses exactly like this.
  • You should be able to insert the SD card of your camera into the Chromebook SD card slot and save/upload files with the FIle Manager and the CrOsSave extension.
  • NullenVoydNullenVoyd Orlandish Icrontian
    Also, slightly related, you should check out Eye-Fi cards (http://www.eye.fi/). We actually use a small fleet of them at my work to automate (to at least some degree) the processing of thousands of images a day taken on little point-and-shoots.

Aside from that, this Cloud box is swift, and for the tech we see these days, I think these devices that bridge other devices and connections are a fairly fresh market with lots of room to grow.
  • primesuspectBrian Ambrozy Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Keith: My camera, as does many slighter older pro SLRs, has a CF card, not SD :(
  • You might want to check out Itwin.

http://www.itwin.com/

It consists of two USB drives. You put one on your laptop and the other on your "home base" computer. The two are then linked. You can then transfer files from one computer to the other over the internet :) Transfers are encrypted, too.
    While that sounds cool, I'm not sure how that solves any camera issues.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    It does, however, create a shilling issue.
    That, it does.
  • Off topic: are you aware that all the links in the right-hand discussion panel lead to 404s?
    Yeah, it's definitely filed as "crtical" in our bug tracker :(
  • There are sd card to cf card adapters. They allow you to use an SD card in a camera that only takes cf cards. So you can use that, then pop the SD card out of the adapter and put it in your Chromebook.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    Off topic: are you aware that all the links in the right-hand discussion panel lead to 404s?
    Fixed.

• For photos that show up on the web you don't need to shoot in RAW mode, JPG files will work just fine at 72dpi, just make sure that you have the proper white balance. JPG files take up much less file space compared to RAW.