Inaugural BF3: League of Manly Men

Comments

• IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Damn, I would rather have a Thursday night play time but men who are secure in their masculinity need their ICPS so that is out.
    ^FTFY XD

Also you left out the women who attend the streams, and I couldn't figure out a way to incorporate that into your post :(
    i'm pretty sure the ICPS is on hiatus. i could be wrong, but I think they're waiting for a new season or something
    Not as much a new season as we're waiting for Hasbro to release more episodes from the current season, as it stands the ICPS will likely resume in two weeks time (Longest...two...weeks...ever)
    How many of you would prefer Thursday over Wednesday? We have a somewhat healthy overlap of Ponies and Manly Men, please keep this in mind. We risk losing a hefty portion of our population to those streams.
    Perhaps the two groups could coordinate their scheduling? As it stands the ICPS falls on whichever date the herd can agree on, although everything is decided on a week in advance.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    I will try my darnedest to attend the Wednesday night events. Man am I rusty, the game harder/ more realistic, or there are guys that flat out better than me in every way. I need some practice!
    You'd be amazed how much better you get when you aren't lone wolfing it out there. Seriously, this becomes an entirely different game with every fellow ICer you play with.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    If you have ideas for challenges you'd like to try to have during the 20 week period (i.e. most kills in a jet for a given week), message me!
    Most power poles destroyed with the grill of a jeep.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    If you have ideas for challenges you'd like to try to have during the 20 week period (i.e. most kills in a jet for a given week), message me!
    Most power poles destroyed with the grill of a jeep.
    What did those power poles ever do to you, huh? NOTHING! You should be taking out those murderous traffic cones, got one stuck on my foot yesterday, caused me to die trying to get the damn thing off.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    I found that I have nothing to go against these experts. Crappy scopes, no flare for my jets, nothing... kinda sad that I have to earn these by fighting those that have the very same items. But how I miss flying choppers and jets...
    The thing with jets is to try and put a hill, mountain or building between yourself and the missile, use the freelook button (usually mouse2) when in the cockpit to track incoming heatseakers so that you at least know which direction they were fired from. While you are trying to level up Jets, try to stick to taking other flying vehicles, don't worry about kills, just get disables and vehicle destructions.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I found that I have nothing to go against these experts. Crappy scopes, no flare for my jets, nothing... kinda sad that I have to earn these by fighting those that have the very same items. But how I miss flying choppers and jets...
    Just ride along with one of us and you'll start unlocking things pretty quick.
    I am rocking it out in combat and scout helo already. I have flares and heat seekers now. I also have stingers for my engi so I can assist from the ground. Love the scout helo's and their agility. Wish I could recalibrate my joystick. Win7 doesn't seem to have the ability to do that. My yaw is off... constantly pulls to the right and have to crank it to left to get anything.
    Control Panel>Hardware and Sound>Devices and Printers

Right click controller, click controller settings (should be bolded), first tab should have calibration box to select
    Nope... not in Win7. The calibration option is missing. Seems to be an issue for many.

As for my jet flying... I was such a dick last night on "Operation Firestorm". I JUST got my IR flares but no rockets. I shot down 9 jets with autocannon. It wasn't fair. That was fine until they brought out the AA. shot me down several times... then I switched to chopper, flew around the hills, and came in from behind and messed them up that way. It was so fun. I'm now a LANCE CORPORAL 3 STAR. Not bad for less than a week. Engi and tank are a good combo. Take a point... lay mines, hide tank. Wait for BOOM from mines, pull forward and finish the enemy vehicle. I love this game... Time for me to install it at work. ;)
    That's the weirdest thing - FWIW using W7 as well, but that was for a controller I'd plugged in. I'm confident I did the same with my ancient MS Sidewinder joystick back when I bought IL2 in the summer Steam sale.

Very odd.
    64-bit?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Updated drivers from manufacturer?
    If you have a "digital" device, windows will refuse to allow you to calibrate, since it thinks it doesn't need it. If you are using an old gameport controller (do those still exist?!) then win7 will have an difficult time even recognizing the device.

I've run into this problem with older controllers, namely my original 360 USB controller (got it on whenever its release date was) and my Saitek X45 Stick and Throttle. Neither is recognized correctly by Win7 even with driver updates and the Saitek only works if the throttle is not plugged into the base of the joystick, thus defeating the entire purpose of having a throttle. I never had problems in XP with this stick (or the 360 controller) but in win7 64, neither will work correctly and I have learned how to fly with mouse and keyboard for BF3.
    Yes, @QCH, 64-bit :(

@pigflipper lol yeah, the MS Sidwinder is a gameport controller w/USB adapter. So cash.

Very frustrating, surprised I haven't had problems with this myself :/
    I can understand my X45 not working correctly as I bought it in 2004, but my USB 360 controller that has current drivers? It works just fine in every game except BF3
    The calibration is annoying since I cannot bank to the left as fast as the right which sucks in dog fights. The other issue is BF3 doesn't see the same labels as my joystick shows. Button 3 in BF3 is actually Button 7. Thumb button should be button 2 and BF3 states PAD left or something like that. Also... Why don't they support the HAT buttons for free look? I miss that ability.
    @pigflipper Yeah, but my Sidewinder has to be from like the late 90s, it's a precision pro model - the thing's old as dirt! Definately older than your 2004 model. Just weird at the haphazard support...

@QCH Yeah, that button issue is one I have with my gamepad, as well. It's all over the place...

Alright you Manly Men! Tonight, we battle! Ventrilo at 7pmPST/10pmEST! SEE YOU THERE!
    Found how to calibrate my joystick!!! Devices and Printers, open joystick, "Shift+Ctrl" and click on properties. It brings up a whole new screen with calibrate wizard!! Yeah, I can fly straight!
  • nice timing
    Ohhhh, its on tonight! Remember, when we play on our server, we CANNOT play with B2K maps as several members still do not have B2K
    Tonight... I hope I can squeeze time in with the kids bedtime and wife's last night before she leaves on a long road trip until Sunday.
    Great first night, guys! Full server!
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    Looks like I may have to purchase a new game...
    I can't wait to have everybody up to date with B2K so we can get some epic Wake Island games going.
    I'll buy it tonight... It was a blast last night. I need more practice though. Yep... more practice.
    Feedback from everyone last night? I might be contacting you individually to see how it went, but figured I'd open the floor up here for them as well.

Time work out alright? Map choices and gametype preferences we should explore? What needs to change?
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    If someone is going to try to administrate the server we'll want a definition of rules. Is it acceptable to destroy vehicles in spawn? How about killing people in spawn? Obviously hackers are going to be kicked(right?). Are these things immediate kicks? Do we give warnings? When will you ban people?

As for using vent, having 8 people in one channel does not work. It won't work if we are on the same team, it definitely doesn't work if we aren't. My preferred voice comm setup would be to have squad based chat happen in skype (or similar), and cross-squad team coordination happen in vent (where communication would be limited).

I'm still trying to figure out what all the butt-hurtness was about with us being on different teams. I didn't, don't, won't, like the idea of us using admin powers to force move all of us to one team. The way things were last night we had two full squads, on two different teams, in two different vent channels. Our squad was able to work together and coordinate attacks and I ssume the other squad was as well.

Isn't this the idea of getting us all on the server at the same time? Get together. Work together. Kill each other.
    I've started a rule-based discussion here: http://icrontic.com/discussion/95002/defining-server-rules

I'm hesitant to begin with Skype, only because IC uses Ventrilo for everything (outside TF2). Further segmentation only makes it harder to get people to use whatever we're trying to push. KISS is what I'm trying to go by, here. It might be as simple as adding sub categories in the BF3 chat area, right? Does Ventrilo allow support of hotkey channel switching a la TeamSpeak? (i.e. F4 puts me in Channel A, F5 Channel B)

I'm not sure where butt-hurtness idea came from, but I think that might have gotten overblown? From a personal standpoint, I was a bit surprised to see we'd opted for seperate teams only because I'd pictured everyone wanting to play together in my head. If that's how we want to handle it, I'm all for it - that's how we started TF2, afterall. As long as we get everyone playing together I'm happy.
  • Wasn't so much 'opting' for different teams as that was the way we ended up. It would have taken quite some time for us to switch teams the normal way and we didn't want to force-move.