The Razer Blade at CES: OMG and WTF in one laptop

UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• djmephNorm Witte III Detroit Icrontian
    I have serious doubts that Razer can pull off an LCD touch screen design like this. If it works anything like the Razer Lycosa, it will start glitching wildly when it's dirty, or for no reason at all. It's no secret that I won't ever try another Razer product after what I went through with their tech support on the Lycosa. But, I would say use this machine for a few months before giving it any stamp of approval.
  • NiGHTSDavid Kenkel San Diego Icrontian
    I struggle to find a way in which the LCD would be utilized in a gaming environment. I understand the ideas given in the article, but if I'm looking at the LCD as a value-add I feel it falls short. Everything listed would take action AWAY from my game, not add to it.

It's most certainly a selling point for the tablet/laptop - this we can all agree on. It's also a tablet/laptop devoted to gaming, as it's marketed as such. So why, then, would you add something to a device to distract me? I feel like it's slapped on there as a "AND LOOK AT THIS!" feature, nothing more.

If Razer could explain WHY I'd want the extra LCD screen, it would help. I already have a smartphone in my pocket, and it sits next to my keyboard while I game - I can't be the only one. Without a clear demo of a game that somehow implemented it, or a promise that this would somehow be implemented by a dev in the future, it'll forever be a 'slapped on' improvement over a regular 'gaming' laptop.

I appreciate that Razer is sticking their neck out there and trying something new. I do. But until we get dedicated support toward features like this, I can't see it being beneficial long term.

...now, make that screen detachable as an actual tablet/smartphone device, and you're talking.
  • ChoochBinh Nguyen K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    I am still waiting when they are going to release the Switchblade...
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    http://www.razerzone.com/switchblade bottom of page, is the simple form to sign up for Switchblade emails about announcements, etc.
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    here is what i find strange, the expensive optium OLED keyboard....why can't they just use a big LCD in the back, and clrear acrylic key on the top, much cheaper and robust, instead of indivital pieces
  • allenpanallenpan ThunderBay, Ontario, CAnada Icrontian
    same apply to razer, 1 big LCD for all the key and touch pad