Where does Research in Motion go next?

djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
edited January 2012 in Science & Tech

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    With the supreme corporate arrogance RIM has demonstrated over the last 5 years, they deserve to go under.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    Auction block?
  • LincLincoln Owner Detroit Icrontian
    My immediate thought upon reading the title was "Chapter 11 bankruptcy". Someone wrote a compelling case for a Microsoft purchase the other day. The CEOs were several years too late in resigning.
  • This is very accurate, and small portion, of a larger analysis I did on RIM less than 2 years ago:
    http://knol.google.com/k/dan-siebes/the-future-of-rim-blackberry/3hp472l8bqpdu/8#

At the time their financials were extremely strong and if you actually read that mess you will realize that the reason they blew it in 2009/2010 is because they took their money and dumped it in to acquisitions of patents and small companies instead of new product R&D.

They didn't lack foresight, they just made that shitty strategic decision because they thought what they offered was unique and could not be reproduced without direct licensing of what they owned. Major screw up on their part.

I don't see them going bankrupt. I do see them getting bought out or broken up and then bought out.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    How interested in the stock market are you, PirateNinja? Should we talk?
  • BOLD move... I see what you did there.