The "Everything is Different" Vanilla feature and bug discussion

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    I'm guessing it came from the change that kept the first post only at the beginning of the thread, but we've now lost the ability to go to a category or subcategory from the first post. Previously it used to say "posted by X at Z in < category >" where category was a hyperlink that would bring you to that section. The category portion appears to have disappeared. Could that perhaps come back?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    @TiberiusLazarus @AlexDeGruven Fixed.

@Snarkasm Fixed. (better style to come)

//edit: Don't forget, as ever, to clear caches very hard. :)
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Awesomesauce
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @Tushon I haven't noticed this. Could be cache, I dunno.
    It happens in any thread with images in some of the posts. The more images, the worse it gets. I think it's loading the most recent post, then loading the images, which push the posts all down.

Ooo that sounds like it might be the winner, as I also noticed this on the "what are you drinking" thread, which is replete with images.
    @Lincoln, I'm pretty sure this is exactly the problem, tagging in case you didn't see it (or I might have missed your acknowledgement.
    @Tushon That's a browser issue, really. I can't exercise control over how Chrome, et. al. decide to jump to HTML anchors while the page is still loading. The "solution" would be to have it jump again after the page finishes loading, which trust me is MADDENING and a very bad idea.
    Also, fixed glitch with activity errantly saying someone "mentioned" you when it meant to say someone commented.
    @Tushon That's a browser issue, really. I can't exercise control over how Chrome, et. al. decide to jump to HTML anchors while the page is still loading. The "solution" would be to have it jump again after the page finishes loading, which trust me is MADDENING and a very bad idea.
    Roger that, coach.
  • quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    I agree with this. I've tried, it's a huge PITA and doesn't work the same on all browsers.

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    It all depends on when the renderer decides to move to the anchor. If it's an image-heavy page, many times it will do so before all of the images are loaded, messing with the spacing.

There are a few AJAXy ways to deal with it, but none of them are a substitute to a consistent way of browsers handling it. Unfortunately, browser manufacturers agree on so few things.
    Found the bug causing the notification number to never go past 1.

Also found a new bug causing the jump-to-new to be off by 1 comment.

Ain't it fun being on the bleeding-edge version of Vanilla? :D Both fixes dropping soon.
    edited January 2012
    Just to make sure it's on the list, because I'm not sure it's been mentioned: the code box on the dark theme is unreadable white-on-yellow unless you select the text.

Testing

Not sure if it does the same with other tags, but this one definitely.
    Yes, I still have several dozen UI/style bugs open. I've been prioritizing the ones effecting core Vanilla and the main style. I kinda got my arm twisted into releasing the dark theme before I was ready :p
    No worries, just double-checking. :) Thanks for everything.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    Just an observation on my part. I liked the names for "who's online" better than the avatars.
    @Ryder Yeah, needs both, there just isn't a setting for that atm.

I just updated usernames to remove all spaces and symbols. Everyone is mentionable now.
    Very minor: If you ignore a category, the posts still show up on your frontpage view (as in, if I ignore fitness, fitness threads would still show up on the new posts section of frontpage). Like I said, pretty minor bug, which probably depends on the frontpage view not being "rendered" on a per-user basis.
    @Tushon That's weird. I'll have a look.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    THat is weird, because that definitely does not happen to me.
    edited January 2012
    Here is an example:

The left is my frontpage view, notice the MLP thread. It is right between "Your gaming ..." and "Some of IC MidWest ..." On the right is my "All categories" view. There is no ponies thread, as I ignored the category (inb4 haters gonna hater.gif). I presume I ignore the whole category as you can't get rid of particular threads.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    Oh, the sidebar. From your OP it sounded like the posts were appearing in the index in your right image.
    I saw the potential for confusion in your response, so I clarified. Like I said, really minor anyways.
    Oh right. Yeah, using a pretty generic module for the front page bit.
    Today I flagged a post for spam. Somebody replied to it, and I got a notification. I could not view the response (or my thread) due to a lack of permissions. (Guessing flags go in a staff section or something, and I'm not in it.)

Recommendation: don't notify of thread replies if current permissions would not allow you to see said thread replies.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    There is not always a "new posts" tag when a thread has new posts.
    @Annes This is probably because Vanilla is quietly adding them to the discussion if you left it open, so it thinks you saw them.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    Small thing I noticed about @ replies:

If you try to @ someone in parenthesis, it doesn't work without a space.

(@UPSLynx is awesome)
    ( @UPSLynx is awesome)
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Mobile: Can has categories link or ability to switch to full view? Currently have to find a post in the category you want to be able to get to the category

-Digi
    Link to switch to full view should be in the footer
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    Perfect! Thanks Linc.

-Digi
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited January 2012
    Um, I have a revision/update to a post made quite a while back about lack of edit perms to do what the gear menu offered even though I apparently should have had permission. I have managed to recreate the problem some way accidentally recently and will document it for @Lincoln and @Primesuspect:

1. Hold down mouse button (left one) a tiny bit too long(or have it stick) and you get a double post.

2. Delete second one in set.

3. First one then cannot be edited or deleted, but if you edit second one only, you have a double post except for corrections.

Workaround (kludgy) make a second post with revisions (and again one gets duplicate content in forum posting resulting)-- see my thread about the old laptop with linux on it in the Trading Post area if you want to see my workaround in action.