v7 open beta

Comments

• quake101quake101 Ohio Icrontian
    45C on a GTX 570 is not high, in fact 45C on that card under full load would be great. With that said, I still believe that the temps could be better.
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    Ok it folded all night and day on the GPU with no issues. I did not check the GPU temps at full load so nothing to report there but right now I'm sitting at 35c idle. It's still cooling down from the day of folding though.

So isn't this card supposed to automatically raise the fan speed when it gets hot? I mean 50% fan speed on 100% load for 12 hours doesn't seem right to me ...although it is nice and quiet the way that I like it.

On another note ...I did reroute the fan onto the dimms so we'll see if that makes a difference too.
    I cranked up the case fans a little and set the GPU fan a little higher for the night. It folded well all through the night. What I noticed most was that the CPU maintained 48c, case 38c, & GPU 69c ...which is way better than before. However, I am still looking at an EUE on the SMP, but that could be anyones guess.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Post some of your log with the EUE error.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I always had weird behavior from stock fan control, so I use MSI afterburner with a more aggressive curve to keep it cool. I also don't have it in my bedroom, so noise level doesn't really matter to me.

Was it just one EUE or a series? If just one, don't worry. If a series, then something isn't stable.
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    45C on a GTX 570 is not high, in fact 45C on that card under full load would be great. With that said, I still believe that the temps could be better.
    Sorry, I thought for some reason he meant CASE was 45C. My BAD! :)

edited January 2012
    Sorry, I thought for some reason he meant CASE was 45C. My BAD! :)

Yes John, in fact the case temps at one point did reach as high as 45C and my warning light came on. But that was back when I was folding advmethods and my fan bios setings we all set on "silent" for noise purposes. It just wasn't adequate.

So what I've done is reset all of the fans to a "standard" setting. This brings each to about 1350rpm wereas "silent" was only about 1100rpm. It makes quite a difference in cfm and cooling and the noise is endurable.

I have an extra filtered fan mount that I will hook up as soon as I can mod off the front to make it fit into the case. It's a Lian Li part that I picked up that I scratched when I tried to mount it. The vendor said it was compatible but he lied. When I wrote him about it and sent pics he said it was too scratched to return ...and recommended that I just drill holes in the side to mount it. Sorry for the rant. With the front off I will be able to mount it easily.

At any rate ...all was going well until I tried "advmethods" last night with the new setup. It EUE'd another SMP WU and the console was not funtional. I will run w/o advanced settings until I'm surely stable again.

Tushon, yes it was only one or two EUE's. I don't usually get those on my other boxen.
    Post some of your log with the EUE error.
    How do I do that in V7? I can go to the log tab in V7 and cut n paste what I see but the EUE is long from there since it happened.

Thanks for everyones help ...it's very encouraging.
    edited January 2012
    Ok, I tried. I think I am over my head. Since you appear to have followed Tushon's guide, retrace the name of the file directory your FAH program is in and look for fahlog.txt. That file, if LOG area the thing lets you see shows anything, is where the view is from.

I am not yet folding now, though next month near end of month plan to have a dedicated rig Folding only (not a big powerful one, it will have a i7 2300 CPU only. That is much better than killing my current laptop with Folding full time (it sleeps or hibernates most of the time, truely impractical to fold on it). Got a Newegg bundle to start things off already (some parts here Tuesday, possibly case will arrive Wednesday).

John.
    I did find a log file but it was located where I wouldn't have expected it ...there may be another but I have no clue as to where to find it. Trust me John, the V7 is much different than any prior client. At any rate, it was located in the User>Csimon>AppData>Roaming>FAHClient folder. It only contained the same thing I can view from the log of the console so no big deal. No EUE there.

I modded the front of the case with a fan that was rerouted from the internal part of the case ...it was directed at the ram. Needless to say it dropped case temps drastically as now the case is only at 33C with both SMP and GPU clients running. This is a big 5C difference. And the fan is only set to run at 50% for now.

Ok how do I upload pics on this newfangled board???
    edited January 2012
    Um.... I use a host myself and link to strategy... Click the picture icon and you get image in post. Between the quotes, type in where on the web it is, including file name and extension. Someone did that for me in my thread about the old laptop with Linux on it. I put text in over one picture. I had stuck in raw file links. I used .jpg files.

Here's a tout for the new forum, "Supporters" get an "Attach a File" link.... One of the perks.
    Here is a sample of what the "Attach a File" link does...
    Upload pics to imgur, then use the little picture "link" to fill in the appropriate HTML markup and paste the link in spot were cursor will go automatically.
    edited January 2012
    Sorry for the blur & clustermeche. This gives you a good ide of the cooling I've got going on inside. Really hard to keep it quiet sometimes.

My case is actually still that temp even though I have been folding an advanced SMP for about two hours now. Very cool inside now compared to what it was this morning.

The temps above were idle at the time ...case temp full load SMP last I checked was the same.
    So, I played around with the Ubuntu v7 client. What a crock of shit that experience was: there is no configuration questions like v6, no GUI to do that like the Windows client, so you can either write your own XML config file or pass every option as a command line function to the service. Yuck....
    So, I played around with the Ubuntu v7 client. What a crock of shit that experience was: there is no configuration questions like v6, no GUI to do that like the Windows client, so you can either write your own XML config file or pass every option as a command line function to the service. Yuck....
    My son ...if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck, chances are ...it's a shit client.

Agreed, there is some serious work to be done on that front if they want to mainstream that client. I'll stick with v6, thanks.
    I may have stumbled upon my issue. I noticed even after improving my cooling I was still getting into trouble at various times, and especially during the daytime while I was away. I ended up boosting the core a bump or two and so far everything is running fine. this chip just really needs some voltage to get churning WU's on all 6 cores. I went from 1.48125V to 1.4875V and so far I am 24 hours stable. After further testing I may try "client-type advanced" again.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    I ran into a curious problem with the v7 client yesterday involving the SMP client; it wouldn't run or would take 2-4 hours to complete a fold that was taking 2-3 minutes.

I spent all day stopping and restarting the client, removing the slot client, adding a new slot client, still the same problem. This morning, with a project 8001 taking 18 hours to reach 25%, I decided to drop back the number of cores from the default "-1" auto select to a manually selected 3 cores. Now, I am running a PhenomII X4 945 at stock settings, so I only have 4 cores to work with and GPU folding seems to take almost an entire core to its self. I thought dropping it down from attempting to run all 4 cores to only running 3 would slow me down and/or drop my PPD.

Nope.

I am now blazing through the previously sluggish WU at around 3:51 TPF. Is this a problem that other people have run into? I was not having an issue until yesterday and I wonder if its something wrong with my client, the WU or did I successfully resolve an actual issue with load?
    One thing you can check for is if there are multiple client's open (check taskmanager for more than one FAH.exe or fahgpux.exe). I've had that before and had to kill it from taskmanager then start over again. AMD GPU folding does still take an entire core for itself, unfortunately.
    Ok, I may check that if it happens again, but I found it odd that even after restarting I was having that problem until I dropped it to three cores (SMP:3) and so far, in the past 5 hours I have not had a problem.
    Up, with blazing success so far (about 2 hours in using it), with Version 7.1.34. Neato, I think 18816 PPD (FAHControl) will be nice for one machine.
    edited February 2012
    Since resolving the vcore and temperature issues I uncovered a GPU issue. I was experiencing a "Failed" after a successful fold of a single wu. All I could do was restart V7 and it would work again but fail again after a single wu.

I did a little search and found that Beta drivers could cause this ...so if anyone else has had experience with this please chime in. Also, if you're having this issue it may be worth a shot to fall back to non-beta drivers. I'll let you know after I turn in a few successful wu's.
    edited March 2012
    Bump for (last?) beta release. Would be interested in anyone's feedback who is using it.

Link to FF
    Link to download page

Change Logs:
    FAHClient:
    v7.1.50:
    Don't return WU results if they are less than 512 bytes.

v7.1.49:
    Improved Windows install error message.
    Fixed next-unit-percentage. #842
    Attempt to fix negative/wrong PPD numbers. #843
    Track project runtime estimates per slot. #828

FAHControl:
    v7.1.50:
    Z in the Zulu time display was still partially cut off. #839

v7.1.49:
    Z in the Zulu time display was partially cut off. #839
    Build Linux version on Debian testing for python 2.7 support. #763

FAHViewer:
    No change.

Additional Notes:
    I've tested installing FAHControl on Ubuntu 11.10 in a VM and it works for me. Here's a handy way to install on the command line:

CODE: SELECT ALL
    sudo apt-get install gdebi
    wget --no-check-certificate https://fah-web.stanford.edu/file-releases/beta/release/fahcontrol/debian-testing-64bit/v7.1/fahcontrol_7.1.50-1_all.deb
    sudo gdebi fahcontrol_7.1.50-1_all.deb

The alternative to gdebi is to first run sudo dpkg -i fahcontrol_7.1.50-1_all.deb which will give you errors and then run sudo apt-get install -f.

There are probably good ways to do this via the GUI too.

Conclusion:
    If all goes well we will publish this release to the front page. If you think there are any compelling reasons not to do so please let us know but keep in mind that we are currently in a feature freeze
    Is there any advantage to immediately upgrading the client? My v7 has been running without a hitch since install
    I have my 7.1.50 running on my Windows folding box, seems to "get out of the way" of the core more. Same Core 0xa4, but a P7006 is running at 2 min 2 sec per frame(confirmed by looking in log) here, and IIRC under 7.1.43 I got a P7006 and it took almost 7 min per frame. Like the new client/FAHControl set so far.

Install notes: I told the installer to keep the old config, installed right on top of the older client, it is running smooth. Installer ran an uninstall routine before updating, but kept WU in progress and resumed it from checkpoint. Only thing I do not like, is that it ran the FAHControl, and FAHControl ended up running in a window almost totally over the window that informed me the install was complete. The completion window was not quite covered, the top bar was visible, so I brought the installer window to front and closed the installer.
    Many of the fixes were for non-windows clients, but there were PPD calc fixes within the last couple versions, so maybe depending on what you have. The actual clients themselves have not been changed to my knowledge, so you wouldn't get any actual increase in PPD/results.
    Install notes: I told the installer to keep the old config, installed right on top of the older client, it is running smooth. Installer ran an uninstall routine before updating, but kept WU in progress and resumed it from checkpoint. Only thing I do not like, is that it ran the FAHControl, and FAHControl ended up running in a window almost totally over the window that informed me the install was complete. The completion window was not quite covered, the top bar was visible, so I brought the installer window to front and closed the installer.
    I'm going to post a bug report about that. Basically, that the behavior should be something like a default "checked" box for "Launch FAH Control after installer exits" rather than what you experienced.
    so maybe depending on what you have. The actual clients themselves have not been changed to my knowledge, so you wouldn't get any actual increase in PPD/results.
    Well, IIRC the pointage for early turnin for 7006 has been upped also. I have an Intel 2600 K churning away folding, almost no apps on the computer except AV and CPU-Z (not running often) and Win 7 Pro updated. 8 GB of RAM, upgraded from 4 GB, happened after the first 7006 so maybe that affects that project some also. HD is a spindle drive due to funds limits here, so more RAM is my way of speeding up work some.
    Sure, the points for a particular project might have been adjusted or the early turn in bonus have been tweaked but the actual core that runs the job is the same whether you are using v6 or v7. I don't believe that F@H has any projects non-bigadv projects that get close to 4GBs but don't have any citation for that. You might get a small PPD increase going to an SSD but I'd make sure you were getting it for other reasons first :)
    Well, lessee.... First, I wanted Folding to be able to use more than 2 GB. I know Win 7, untweaked, will happily take 1.5-1.75 GB for itself. Then there is the always-on AV. That leaves maybe 2-2.25 GB for Folding if I have only 4 GB total installed.

So, I invested $20.00 in another 4 GB stick. And after that, average PPD all other things being equal jumped 2-10 K a day depending on what WUs I got. For my numbers, that is about 12-30% gain in PPD from a minimal investment.

The client sets up what the core is fed unless I am wrong, and how it is fed, so if the Client will grab lots of RAM and feed the core a whole chunk of work (read large chunk) from RAM, that is faster than from temp files on HD. With SMP, I am (I think) running 8 core equivalents simultaneously.

So, RAM for eight core instances plus a chunk of work for each, plus maybe the whole WU in RAM if the client is set up right and that much RAM is available for actual use. Else why have the client report what the system RAM is??? And why do those systems with large RAM outperform otherwise essentially same system with low RAM, or slower RAM???