Movie Thread

Comments

• KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited January 2012

I find this trailer highly amusing and can't wait to see more. Wes Anderson hasn't disappointed me in the past so I'm expecting good things from this movie.

interesting I can't embed the video but posting the web address embeds it automatically.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    Wow. This movie looks amazing with a clever story and great actors. Just finished Children of Men and Lincoln Lawyer. CoM was excellent. LL was okay. Now onto The Guard...love me some Don Cheadle and Brendan Gleeson.
  • NLichtmanNLichtman Spring Valley, CA
    I just saw "The Canterville Ghost" last night. It was quite good, although there was no real climax. Old movies are always good and more especially because they have Patrick Stewart in them.
    Been watching Studio Ghibli films. Holy cow Miyazaki knows how to make movies, definitely the Walt Disney of Japan. Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service were amazing about to pop in Castle in the Sky.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I recently watched Ip Man: The Legend is Born. Quite good for a Kung Fu movie. I want to watch Ip Man and Ip Man 2 now, but it's hard to find. Supposedly Ip Man was Bruce Lee's master, which just adds to the ballerness of it all.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Been watching Studio Ghibli films. Holy cow Miyazaki knows how to make movies, definitely the Walt Disney of Japan. Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service were amazing about to pop in Castle in the Sky.
    I'm also doing this and agree with your sentiment.

I recently saw
    The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (pretty good, not very different from the Swedish ones, and equally unexplained events that were rather important in the book),

The Grey (mostly good, there were several moments where they made it seem like it was going to turn into a "why god?" movie, but then they didn't ... that was a detractor overall, but the crash scene was awesome as were most of the wolf scenes)

The Artist (I watched it all the way through, but that is probably a one-off, though seeing a 99% silent film without having to deal with the shitty cameras of yesteryear was interesting)

Kill List (weird British crime movie with a very odd twist, but I liked in the way you can like such movies)

Looking forward to seeing Chronicle
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    In the past few months a few noteworth mentions are;
    Puss in Boots
    This had to be one of the most entertaining films I have seen lately. The animation is top notch and the story is certainly not for kids!

J. Edgar
    A most compelling movie that I think captured a lot about the man with an excellent cast.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes
    I thought this was very well done. It is possibly one of the best late arrival prequils ever.

Recent watched on DVD
    The departed
    A Martin Scorsese film about the Massachusets State Police and organized crime in south Boston with Leonardo DiCaprio, Matt Damon, Jack Nicholson, Martin Sheen and Mark Wahlberg. With that said and never saw it before I just had to see it. All I can say is WOW!!! How did I ever not hear of that one. Excellent story and plot that twisted and turned more than a hungry snake.

A Civil Action
    Another "how the hell did I ever miss this one!" With John Travolta and Robert Duvall headlining the true story about a water contamination case in Woburn, Mass which becomes a landmark case against corporations dumpinc toxic waste in America. Exxxxxelent!!!!!

Gran Torino
    I missed it in the theatre and am happy I found a 'previous viewed' copy for $1.99. Now i not only got to see the movie but I also have it in my library for future viewing. It is a bit different from other Eastwood flicks and has a lot more 'feel' to it. the end was one hell of a surprise. BTW... I discovered that i am a Walter. ;)
    The Grey (mostly good, there were several moments where they made it seem like it was going to turn into a "why god?" movie, but then they didn't ... that was a detractor overall, but the crash scene was awesome as were most of the wolf scenes)
    Really? The previews all looked really meh to me. And I've been increasingly disappointed that Liam Nesson keeps doing these action movies. He just doesn't have the personality or voice to really star in them in my opinion. He's definitely more of a wise old sage character in my opinion. Kind of like his role in Phantom Menace.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    While there is definitely action in The Grey, I would not classify it as an action movie. It falls more appropriately in the drama category. While simplistic and formulaic, I thought Liam as the lead in Taken was superb. As a father, it was cathartic to watch a man save and avenge his daughter for two hours. I do agree with Tushon though that The Grey should have kept going farther down the path of what it means to live and die and know your existence may be ending and that it's not part of any plan, but pure random chance. They should have explored that more IMHO. I thought the ending was perfect, but there were LOTS of angry people in the theater when I saw it. I think they expected Liam Vs. The Wolves.
    Lots did expect Liam vs the Wolf, but alas, we don't get to see that crappy CGI rendering in action. Honestly, the whole movie could have been done better without any of the CGI wolves being visible (maybe the eyes stuff, but it really jarred for me). The intensity/suspense would have been 100x better if they were more silent killers and you only saw the eyes and heard howling in the distance or the barks when they came in for the kill.

Preacher is right that the movie looks more action oriented than it actually was when viewing it. Similar to the "Monsters" movie not really being about the action of the invasion and more about the story of the two people and survival.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    While simplistic and formulaic, I thought Liam as the lead in Taken was superb.
    So much this.

Taken was just everything good about action movies without the overly ornate fight scenes, implausible gadgets or genre blind protagonists. Neeson's character is just a pure pragmatist in everything he does and that was oh so very refreshing.
  • FearmyblinkFearmyblink California Icrontian
    a couple weeks ago i went and saw Mission:Impossible Ghost Protocol and i was pleasantly surprised. although the action was over the top just like all the other MI movies i really liked that it had another big name actor in it, Jeremy Renner. I thought that it was better than all of the others in the series, and it did a good job of not being like the third movie where it was "Tom Cruise" vs. the world. I also thought they did a good job of choosing Paula Patton as the female "heroine", not to mention Tom Cruise is in the best shape of any 49 year old I've ever seen
    Tom Cruise is in the best shape of any 49 year old I've ever seen
    It's all the dianetics. Thetans can't touch him no more!
    He's the Martin Luther King Jr. of Study Technology if you will. still don't know what it is though.... :confused:
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    Has Dead Poet's Society been mentioned? I saw it a while ago but watched it again recently. Is an incredible film.
    edited February 2012
    @Harudath I don't think so, but I also enjoyed it a while back.

50/50: I really enjoyed this, with the scene where Gordon-Levitt kicks his friend out of the car and calls his therapist topping the movie off. I can't imagine what that feeling is truly like but he seems to embody it. Fun fact: writer/executive producer Will Reiser based the story on his own battle with cancer, which he beat as well.

The Descendants: I had no idea what this movie was about until I watched it. Interesting enough to keep me engaged but nothing over the top. Several confrontation scenes make the movie really, really good (saying more about who was involved would reveal a major plot line)

The Ledge: ridiculously formulaic, but interesting to see an atheist portrayed as a main character twice in recent weeks (in my movie viewing time, Ledge came out a while ago). I pretty much agree with RT on the rotten status.

Bridesmaids: I laughed a few times and empathized with the whole "losing your lifelong friend" thing, but the movie was pretty cliche overall and wasn't very enjoyable to me.

@fearmyblink I really hope the Renner "Bourne" reboot turns out good, then eventually there is some Damon v Renner action in the future.

Seeing Chronicle tonight!
  • Has anyone seen Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close? My soon to be eight year old really wants to see it with me. She is intrigued by the mystery, and I am a sucker for sappy stories about good fathers. Is it too heavy for an eight year old? I explained to some degree the horror of 09/11/01 and that in many ways its a sad story, but she is so intrigued, like she gets it, she understands its about a boy coping with his loss, but I'm not sure, seems a little too heavy and I just don't have the time to go preview anything. Anyone seen it? Can an emotionally mature eight year old gain anything from it?
    @Tushon Yes! i really think Renner is a great actor after watching Hurt Locker when it came out, i think renner is going to be a good Bourne. yeah that would be interesting to see Damon in it.
    Chronicle: I enjoyed it. Interesting character study on the corruption of power and chronic abuse/family dynamics, and some fun shots of superpowers.
    2012 is going to be a big year for Hollywood Blockbusters and especially on the Superhero end with Spiderman reboot, The Avengers, and the last of the Dark Knight Trilogy, not to mention other big films like Skyfall (next bond film), Bourne Legacy, The Hobbit and The Hunger Games as well as a few others. I'm personally stoked for all three of the big Superhero movies, Skyfall, the next Bourne film and Men in Black 3.
  • TheironhandTheironhand Centerline, Michigan Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    I'd say my favorite movie was V for Vendetta. I loved the comic and the movie in my opinion was one of the greatest I've ever seen. Any way last Friday I saw Wreck It Ralph, pretty nice movie, much better then I thought it would be.
    Dammit. I was waiting to use this thread to get the thread necro badge since I was sure it was dead. I am both excited and disappointed that its not.
    Theironhand
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Wreck It Ralph was awesome and amazing. Exceedingly well-written and put together. I had my doubts about the Disney and Pixar merger, but so far things are looking really good.
  • JBoogalooJBoogaloo This too shall pass... Alexandria, VA Icrontian

I had my doubts about the Disney and Pixar merger, but so far things are looking really good.

I feel the the same about Disney/LF. But, being that John Lassetter has been at the forefront of digital animation since day 1 (Pixar, LF, Disney) and his continued focus on story above all else, I have very little doubt in just about anything he's involved in.

I haven't seen this yet, but when I heard about it I knew that the movie would be great.

• RahnalH102RahnalH102 the Green Devout, Veteran Monster Hunter, Creature Enthusiast New Mexico Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    by kakimari
    Saw it on release. Loved it.
    CBMomOfRoseTheironhandBobbyDigi
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited November 2012
    I highly recommend seeing Life of Pi. It is a highly intriguing story to say the least. If you like to read, or write for that matter, you will be especially absorbed by this one. This is my absolute favorite movie since Avatar, and it is vivid in just the right places.
    No synopsis from me because I couldn't do it justice. Just an amazing story with a twist.

http://www.imdb.com/rg/s/4/title/tt0454876/#lb-vi2646320921
    Tushon
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Took the kids to see Rise of the Guardians last night. Everyone had a blast. A really good story very well executed with plenty of action and humor to keep everyone involved through the end. Both my 3 year old and 5 year old loved it.

Personally, my favorite vision of Santa Clause is now and shall forever be the Mad Russian Warrior.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited November 2012

First movie I can remember seeing in theater and the only VHS cassette I still own.

Three-horns never play with looooooooooong necks.
    I have so many movies I need to see right now. The Rise of the Guardians, Skyfall, Lincoln, Life of Pi, Argo, and the Hobbit will be coming out shortly too. Gah to much goodness.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    Total Recall any good? I actually have fond memories of the original one and my childhood which I don't want to disturb.