The Keto diet

Comments

• poofiepoofie Baltimore, MD Icrontian
    lurk lurk lurk.
  • WattyzWattyz Michigan Icrontian
    ok, um, pizza crust thing is pretty good.

Once you squeeze the hell out of the cooked pulverized cauliflower, it's actually liftable. Before it fell apart and you'd have to eat it with a fork. Not totally NY style, but workable.

Making food for the week today so I'm not screwing this week up again. I'm tired of starting over. :( Adobo chicken in the crock pot, eggs with a couple slices of bell pepper, spinach and chili lime chicken burger from Trader Joe's in the cupcake form made and bagged. (I toss the cheese on top in the morning.) and making sausage with pasta for the family for tomorrow while I'm in school. They get that, and I get my remade hopefully WASHED lettuce and unspit on unwich wrap from Jimmy John's tomorrow for dinner.

Who's got a pork rib recipe for me for Wednesday? I have those country style ribs I'd usually steam and toss caribbean jerk sauce on thawing. (advantages of being broke...actually clearing out your freezer. ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Watty, if you can make it to E&L Supermercado in Detroit (Mexicantown), they have a "butt rub" which is carb-free that is PHENOMENAL. I completely coat meat in that butt rub and it's delicious.
    PS: Watch the Jerk seasoning: Jerk traditionally has a lot of sugar.
    mmm...butt rub....I like big butts and I cannot lie...

looking for a recipe...won't be in D til Saturday. I make a rib rub. Will look around for something I suppose. Trying to not get sick of hot sauce too quick.

Actually, I think I have some rubs from Milford Spice. Hmmmm

Honey Chipotle and Espresso rub.

How bad is granulated honey? I don't think I liked the espresso rub (but that has sugar in it too)
    Honey = carbs :(
  • RyanMMRyanMM Ferndale, MI Icrontian
    I saw this and thought of you all.

Apologies for breaking hscroll. ;)

• TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    @Thrax already gave @djmeph a twitter backhand for this, @RyanMM.

(I wish I could say that is the most times I tagged, but my Ubuntu folding article beat it)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    So much bad information.
    ok, egg cups are done, crock pot adobo chicken is almost done, and I made my own low carb bbq sauce. That ish is hot. LOL Made the fam's sausage and veggie pasta too. I'm kitchen free now for the next couple days. WOOT.

I can grab a couple of the egg cups and toss them in my bag for between classes and then have my unwich for dinner.

So my number is back up to 7 lost.
    :thumbsup:
    You and @djmeph are going to have to get new avatar pics soon...it's getting hard to recognize your sexay.
    :thumbsup:
    @Thrax already gave @djmeph a twitter backhand for this, @RyanMM.

(I wish I could say that is the most times I tagged, but my Ubuntu folding article beat it)
    Thing is, this isn't Twitter, so if @Thrax wants to Bring It™, he's gonna have to put some effort into it.

Every rational critique of Taubes comes down to the fact that he makes it sound like you can consume unlimited calories as long as you're eating zero carbs, which even if true is a pretty impossible way to function.

Few are debating the metabolic repercussions of carbs, their effect on insulin, or the fact that newer studies are showing that the same number of calories on a highly restricted carb diet leads to far greater caloric burn, and thus weight loss.

What is Keto but an extremely low glycemic index diet?

So besides the nonsense about unlimited calories, let's hear what part of that chart is inaccurate.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    It's not that you can eat an unlimited amount of carbs, it's that the process of turning fat into energy is very inefficient. Although I haven't fully tested this theory, I would wager that it would be damn near impossible to eat enough food to have a net caloric gain sans carbs. It only takes a small amount of carbs to produce the energy you need in a day, but it takes a lot of fat to produce that same amount of energy. That's why the weight loss seems so rapid. You're processing massive amounts of fat just to function on a daily basis. Technically, you should count calories, but it's kind of pointless unless you are a garbage disposal. I haven't been counting calories. I eat as much as I want, just no carbs. It's working very well.
  • djmephdjmeph Detroit Icrontian
    Also, roasted chicken is the gift that keeps on giving. I got a whole chicken yesterday for $4, at a grocer I can walk to. Roasted it with salt, pepper and paprika. Separated the bones and stewed them in the juices overnight to make about a half gallon of chicken broth for soup. Next I'm going to skim the fat off the top and use it to cook greens. Just put some of the chicken over a salad with cheese and mixed greens, and a dressing that I make with mayo, dijon mustard, curry and heavy cream. I love this diet. :-)
  • For the record I ate a fair amount of carbs (the "healthy" kind) this January -- and protein and fat. I still lost 17 pounds (8% of my weight when I started). The gifts that keep giving are exercise and will power. The ingested forms of calories are details you can figure out and adjust based on your own goals and needs. For example, if you plan on pushing some iron and gaining some muscle mass, you may want to eat some carbs first and some proteins after.
    Any person who has ever lost weight in the history of history was for one of two reasons:
    1. They lost a limb (or similar catastrophy)
    2. They burned more calories (energy) than they took in for a period of time
    Nobody lost weight because they stopped eating carbs, they lost weight because as a result of not eating carbs they took in less calories each day than when they were eating carbs. Carbs aren't evil, they have their benefits if you choose to use them.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    Nobody lost weight because they stopped eating carbs, they lost weight because as a result of not eating carbs they took in less calories each day than when they were eating carbs. Carbs aren't evil, they have their benefits if you choose to use them.
    This is true. And I don't think anyone is arguing that fact. Those of us doing this, however, have discovered that it's much easier to eat less when it's foods that keep you fuller.
    That's the crux of it and why the poster is "bad information". Carbs don't make you fat any more than protein or fat, they just allow you to eat more without feeling as full. I'm not denying that dieting ideas around keto/atkins work for human nature, but there is a difference between how weight gain works (for the vast majority of people, gain = more calories taken in than used with the sorta exception for those with hypothyroidism etc) and what our human drives for consuming certain types of calories are.
    Hypo/Hyperthyroid still end up utilizing the same mechanism. People with hypothyroidism have a lower metabolism and burn fewer calories per-time than normal. Hyperthyroids have a higher metabolism and burn more.
    We should make a separate thread to discuss science and argue and stuff. I'm hoping that this thread serves as a motivator to people who want to lose weight and think this might help them. Seeing arguing about science might discourage someone.
    Hypo/Hyperthyroid still end up utilizing the same mechanism. People with hypothyroidism have a lower metabolism and burn fewer calories per-time than normal. Hyperthyroids have a higher metabolism and burn more.
    Right, the same total is true, but it is much harder to get rid of calories than a "normal" person because their baseline is so low.
    Which is one of the reasons I got so fat, so fast.
    edited February 2012
    Just keep in mind that alcohol metabolizes into sugar. I don't know why vodka is on keto.org, but they're wrong. There's nothing keto about alcohol.
    This came up in discussion on twitter last night, and while I'm not going to say that alcohol doesn't mess up keto, it ALSO does not metabolize into sugar or a carb.

Alcohol is metabolized into acetaldehyde, then to acetic acid, then to carbon dioxide and water. None of those are carbs.

There are byproducts of the reaction, though, that may fuck with the way fat in the bloodstream is metabolized and may lead to the anti-keto benefits. But I don't know enough about this to say whether or not alcohol counts against or messes up keto.

But it's more complicated than "alcohol turns into sugar." That part isn't the case.

Sorry for pedantry, but it seemed worth pointing out.
    I'm also on the "any alcohol is bad" bandwagon. I don't know why they would say that vodka is okay... it's definitely not. While it doesn't have any carbs, it also turns directly into sugar.

One of the easiest ways to look at keto is: pretend you're diabetic.
    Funny you should mention diabetes.

Via webmd:

"Use discretion when drinking alcohol if you have diabetes. Alcohol is processed in the body very similarly to the way fat is processed, and alcohol provides almost as many calories as fat. If you choose to drink alcohol, only drink it occasionally and when your blood sugar level is well-controlled. It's a good idea to check with your doctor to be sure drinking alcohol is acceptable."

Vodka, 80 proof. 0 Glycemic load.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    So, yesterday I decided that I would severely limit my sugar intake (but not go full on keto.)

Today the only carbs I've had in 24 hrs have been some steamed potatoes for lunch today.

I notice that I have a huge headache, having trouble concentrating, my heart is racing a bit more than normal, and I feel very warm.

Its like a combination of having caffiene withdrawal and having just jogged a half mile.

I'm guessing this will pass as my body starts to get used to it, so I bought some lettuce to replace my normal sandwich bread, some low carb soups, some nuts, eggs, cheese, and bacon today.

And a 12 pack of diet mountain dew.

Its going to be a rough week till I get used to this! :)
    I notice that I have a huge headache, having trouble concentrating, my heart is racing a bit more than normal, and I feel very warm.

Its like a combination of having caffiene withdrawal and having just jogged a half mile.

I'm guessing this will pass as my body starts to get used to it, so I bought some lettuce to replace my normal sandwich bread, some low carb soups, some nuts, eggs, cheese, and bacon today.

And a 12 pack of diet mountain dew.

Its going to be a rough week till I get used to this! :)
    That's pretty much how I felt on day 3. By the end of that day, though, I was feeling fine.

You will also be amazed at how quickly the first 10lb goes. I dropped the first 6 in 48 hours.
  • RyanFodderRyanFodder Detroit, MI Icrontian
    If I can lose 10 lbs, I'll be winning :) I've been stuck at this weight for 5 years...
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    First bit of weight lost isn't fat though, it's glycogen and the water stored with it.

First 'normal' meal you have will put it right back on.

True, but if he keeps on the extreme low-carb train, that won't happen.

That's the beauty of Keto (at least for me). It's self-regulating. I don't overeat, I don't snack, and I don't cheat. I'm just plain not as hungry anymore.
    LOOK at this BEAST of a man. LOOK AT HIM

Pee-on-stick and weigh-in day today.

Solidly moderate.

264.2. That's 20.2lb since 1/4/12. And all by eating bacon, butter, cheese, and sour cream (among other things).