ICMC: The Restart

Comments

• BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    23-18-72 zombie spawner. cave entrance on my plot but I don't know how to get back there.
    Can I verify this before I go diggin 60 blocks down:

23 being the only positive?

-Digi
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    they are all positive. We can go find it tomorrow night if you would like.
    I went the direct route and dug a spiral down to it. You haven't even cleared it yet. Do you take a look in there for chests yet? Do you want the mossy cobble or can we use it for community builds? I can use it in/around the XP farm to. We can go clear it together tomorrow if you want. Then I can get to building the farm.

-Digi
    I would like to take the stuff from it. The reason I didn't do that last night was because I found it at the end of spelunking and really needed to get out of the cave system.
  • In case you guys didn't see my post elsewhere, the minecraft map I render has a "spawn" overlay which shows where it's possible for mobs to spawn due to lack of light. Right now there are a significant number of areas in IC Town that are spawnable. We may want to address that in order to reduce creeper damage.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I'll get to work on that today sometime. Monsters spawns are a significant problem as of yesterday.
    edited February 2012
    Dear Everyone:

I am not happy with the way things have gone. Admittedly I did not plan this correctly. I should never have assigned plots until after the clearing was done.

I am disappointed in those of you who used community gathered materials to build on your plots. Disappointed in those of you who used anything obtained from the community sectors (~500x500 centered on spawn) for personal use. Everything from sand to iron, collected on the first day, within 250 blocks around spawn, and then used for anything other then the development of the community is stolen from the community. A small example: I personally placed at least 8 iron and a bucket in the community chests, shortly after they were no where to be found. This is NOT the Icrontic community I know.

What has happened now (and happened way earlier than I would have liked on the first day) is that those of us who's plots are already cleared have moved on to building. This is not fair to the others who have plots that have not been cleared yet. Yes I am included in this, in the 30 hours or so I was on this weekend I smelted a few stacks of Logs, sand and cobble to build a house and blow off some of the steam that was building as players blatantly stole from community land.

From what I can tell there are 9 residential plots that have not been cleared yet to the left of spawn. More than half the industrial plots have yet to be laid out. There WAS plenty enough cobble to lay all of them out after clearing just what we cleared. Whether or not there is now, I don't know.

My apologies for not planning this correctly. In my mind, all the plots would have been cleared before there was any building. Not a piece of Armor would have been created until there was enough for everyone. There would have been plenty for everyone after the clearing. I'm not looking for apologies, what is done is done, but if I continue to see the greed and blatant disregard of the rules/plans, maybe I'll just step down.

PS. DO NOT point fingers in this thread. If you would like to have a discussion with me regarding any of this and it has to include someones name, send it to me in a PM.

-Digi
  • I'd like to step up and apologize. I did harvest some wood from the tree farm to build my little shack and I used a bit of the sand and cobble from the clearing I did as well. Dumb of me, I know. I'll replace it all as I have time to play this week, and then some.
    In before
    U Mad Bro?

-Digi
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    I haven't looked around outside the sheep farm much but I was under the impression that all the plots had already been leveled and laid out. With all the cobble I gathered from tearing down that hill there should be enough for several of the plots that still need finished. Mark the areas that need filled in and I'll get to work on them later.

• CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    I think it's not as much of a problem as it feels like to you Bobby. I personally think you've done a great job organizing. It's much better run than the slip-shod job we did before, but It's not going to be perfect. I think you're seeing it through the lenses of the organizer, and that picks out the flawed details more than anything else.

I think it's fine that you stopped to build a bit. It's fine that others did. Frankly, flattening land is extremely boring. It has to be done, but it's boring, and it's not what minecraft is about, so everyone is starting to look the the future, when we see our plans start to rise from the dirt. :)

Personally, I put in nearly 5 hours of just flattening land on day one, so rewarded myself that evening with permission to go out and scout for some cool land for the MW group. I felt that I deserved that for my hard-work, and I did. If I hadn't taken the time to do that, I just wouldn't have been on the server, since I was seriously tired of flattening land. :/

The next day, I spent another few hours flattening land. Hopefully, everyone who has stopped to reward themselves a with some time spent actually playing Minecraft has the intention to go back and continue to help flatten, but it's unrealistic to expect that everyone spend the entire first week on the server just flattening things. It's not fun. It's not what people want to do with their week. Not even you, so cut us, and yourself, a bit of slack. :D

As far as people stealing from the common pool of resources, well, I don't really know much about that. I mean: we've had to get the resources we use for our 'steam off-blowing' from somewhere, and it's more helpful to dig out more of town, than to go start a mine somewhere for now, so I don't really see that as a big deal either, especially just sand and stone. Iron is more valuable, so hopefully that turns up, but more can always be found. :)

Again, I think that everyone is happy with the management, and we are enjoying the community and solo aspects of the new server so far.

It's a challenge to manage this crowd, and you might have to bend before you break, but it's going well, I think. :)
    I've got to do some reworking of the industrial plots. Currently 1/2 of them have different sized roads then the other half. Store the cobble as it will eventually get used but I need to get in game to look at the industrial plots layout first.

Anyone willing to put their time towards the community, there is two more rows of residential plots that need clearing in the left side of Canti's image above.

-Digi

I'm not totally sure where those two plots are. Circle them please.
    I am going to be working on clearing the sidewalk all the way around C1 and B2 plus trying to remove all of the sand from the top so it is easy to pick axe the remainder from ground level. Are we going to flatten out past the resident plots? I am thinking kind of small dunes leading out into the actual desert.
  • BasilBasil Nubcaek England Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    OK, I've used cobble, sand(stone) and the occasional bit of coal I've collected from levelling other plots for my own house, sorry. If I had known it all had to be left for community stuff I wouldn't have, but at the same time I wouldn't be clearing any other plots.

I've done zero mining, with all my materials have come from clearing plots, and frankly it's utterly boring. I've destroyed >25k blocks and being able to use a portion of the 'waste' is pretty much the only motivation to continue at this point.

Edit: Just want to echo CB, it's really not going badly, we will get the stuff flattened and community stores back up!
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I am definitely going to hop on and clear some tonight. I wasn't around for the majority of Saturday due to other things going on and was glad for the help k provided me and promised then to do so in turn.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I just connected today for the first time since the reboot.

I have 'borrowed' 8 iron, 16 wood, and 256 dirt from the community chests near spawn in order to build tools to flatten my residential plot, as well as place dirt in it for grass. Sorry if the community chests had a different purpose in mind, I will replace those resources once my plot is flat and I eventually begin to mine.

I would also like to add that flattening my industrial plot is not currently a priority, as I enjoy the fact that it has a natural beach/ocean shape to it currently.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    Side note: PUT TORCHES IN YOUR TREES.

Smokey the Bear might not approve, but don't be fooled... that bear-faced jerk just wants your house to explode from tree-creepers.
    This is to Digi: When we are clearing plots should chest be left on the sidewalk or more chest created some place around spawn? The chest situation at spawn doesn't have enough to store 3 more plots of resources, there really needs to be a tiered thing or an area with rows of chest for all this freaking sand. The wall method with signs sucks for large quantities.
    Placing chests in the roads is perfect, K.

Thank you CB for your post. That coming from you specifically means a lot. The more of you post, the more I think "I did not mean you or that" and I'm thinking I may be letting a single persons actions let me lose sight of the big picture.

These are the remaining plots:

-Digi
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    I'll definitely clear the one immediately next to mine (C2 and C1, I believe) and see where else the night takes me. I know C2 at ground level has connections to the (huge) cavern K and I were exploring yesterday.
  • UPSMatLUPSMatL Metal Maniac Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    Not trying to complain but, somebody planted trees in my entire industrial plot. I had planted probably 10 trees at most in one area and now its filled . I would just like to say to whomever did this Please do not build or plant on my land. Thanks

Thanks Digi and Ardi for getting this rolling , very excited to be playing on Icrontic again!!!!
  • I am now going to give my 2cents:

#1: _k has been clearing the shit out of that area, he helped clear a large chunk of my plot and most of Tushon's and then kept going.

#2: My plot (unbeknownst to me) was almost entirely rock, I viewed myself, as the land owner, responsible for clearing it, no one else. Unless the rule was in place before I was around I personally feel no one else is obligated to help community or not.

#3: As far as resources disappearing in town... I found that far more upsetting than anything, the resources I personally have taken were only taken because people insisted it was for individuals like me who needed them to get started. I only feel it fair that everyone, myself included, donate resources as I finish my personal house. It isn't like I need the 30+ stacks of cobble I have mined. Resources like iron partial stacks and more disappearing is far more disgruntling and saving those for truly important cases should go without saying.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    I will apologize up front for all of the cobblestone that I used to construct my castle but as I said last night after clearing my plot and helping out with the uncleared plots currently I have replaced two fold what I used in the construction of my house.

As of my mining expedition I have 80 something units of redstone, and Lapis Lazuli sitting in my personal chest that, as soon as we find out where the excess resources have been going I will throw into the public chests.

I've also manufactured a bucket and a set of shears with Iron I got from clearing my plot that I will gladly throw into the community pool.

Note: Next to my mineshaft I have a chest filled almost exclusively with gravel and cobblestone (Once we're done clearing the remaining residential plots I will go and throw that into the community chests.

Second Note: We need more community chests for cobblestone, sand, and dirt.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Yeah..uh..sorry if me building up the exterior of my house was a setback to anyone, I just thought that wood was so easy to farm that it wouldn't affect anyone, and I kept harvesting more than I needed and dropping it off in the community wood chest. The glass mostly came from clearing sand from my plot area/basement. I'll farm up a bunch more wood later to make up for any setbacks I may have caused.
  • ZanthianZanthian Mitey Worrier Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I want to echo cb, I have really tried to just be helping the community and I feel like things are progressing really nicely. I think if you have a thread for your current goal with an outline from the map it will really help. i.e. the plot picture on what still needs cleared. I wanted to help more on the farms, but wasn't sure if there is a plan for division of the area. I started the first floor of my house mainly so i would stop blowing up from the monsters coming off the uncleared lots near me. I want to say thank you Bobby, for all your work this weekend. It was awesome to have you on to answer questions and guide everyone. You have re-sparked my interest in the game and I appreciate it :)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Zombie Spawner found very near under town. Found while carving out for the Row 1 plots.

58, 65, -25

Edit: Found: 4 saddles, 3 buckets, some gunpowder, some iron. Will add to community chests.
    edited February 2012
    I Love you guys. Thank you for all of the responses. None of your apologies were necessary. While The Restart didn't go exactly as I had envisioned, It was Amazing. Every single person on there did amazing things this weekend that lay the groundwork for our amazing server. I can't wait to see what you guys come up with.
    Not trying to complain but, somebody planted trees in my entire industrial plot. I had planted probably 10 trees at most in one area and now its filled . I would just like to say to whomever did this Please do not build or plant on my land. Thanks
    A lot of plots are in transition right now and some of the empty plots were/are being used to farm trees. Everyone farming the first day understood if you clear trees in a tree farm, replant the saplings. My guess is this practice simply expanded your small farm. If you would like help clearing it I can't imagine you would find many online that would pass up free wood. Giggity.

-Digi
    Zombie Spawner found very near under town. Found while carving out for the Row 1 plots.

58, 65, -25

Edit: Found: 4 saddles, 3 buckets, some gunpowder, some iron. Will add to community chests.
    Excellent! Great find, have at anything in the chests if it is useful to you, also the mossy cobblestone is yours if you wish.

I'll take a look when I hop on in a bit. Looks like we will have multiple XP farms. We are going to be Minecraft Ballin' yo!

-Digi
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    The area where we found the 4 cave spider spawners is: