If geeks love it, we’re on it

Howdy, Stranger!

You found the friendliest gaming & tech geeks around. Say hello!

The Icrontic Gun Thread

13»

Comments

• mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    Since the Springfield from my earlier post in this thread was deemed unworthy of remaining in my possession, I have just recently purchased this little gem. I have only had the opportunity to shoot it once so far (30 rounds or so) but it feels even better in my hand than the Springfield did.
    What didn't you like about the Springfield XDM? Fits my hand perfectly.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    It wasn't that I didn't like it, just saying that this gun fits it even better. I had the small backstrap in the Springfield and I have the small in the S&W as well. By comparison, the S&W grip just seems to conform to my hand even better. The "peaks and valleys" are all in the right place.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    Nice pistol @Ryder. I picked up another m91/30 since my last posting but that's it. I haven't been shooting in a while :(
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    I don't know how I ever missed this thread. If you ask my wife I already own every gun in the world and let people borrow them. We shoot every week without fail, reload all our own, rebuild old WWII guns, and shoot them. We also customize guns in an ongoing basis. I live and love guns :)

My live but unpopular website: www.surplusguncollector.com Oh... I have an FFL too.

Just posted a few videos of some of the guns being shot this last weekend.

For the record I own an XD9 service, Remington R1 1911 45, Ruger LC9 pocket carry, S&W 586 .357mag, GSG 1911 .22, Beretta 92FS 9mm, an original russian Makorov, a SCCY CPX-1 9mm, and that's all for handguns.

I'm currently working on restoring an Oviedo (Spanish) 1896 7mm mauser. I also am converting a Russian Saiga .223 back to an AK74 configuration with a folding aluminum stock (about $200 to go).

• ChipChip Dallas Member
    Hey Buddyj ... the the rest of ya'll (who are wondering who is this Chip guy)
    Sadly, no gun purchases for me as of late. I'm getting the hankering, though. I'm saving up cash and ready to use the "... Honey, Obama may get re-elected" excuse to hit the gun show.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Dallas Icrontian
    I'm saving up cash and ready to use the "... Honey, Obama may get re-elected" excuse to hit the gun show.
    teehee
  • primesuspectprimesuspect HumanGarbageDisposal Detroit, MI Icrontian
    Chip is userid 10 :D

Hi Chip! LONG time no see
    Oh cool @missileman. I didn't know you were into milsurps. That's my main thing. I'm a C&R holder so I'm one of the few people who gets excited with the though of stripping cosmoline out of an old WW2-era stock. I'd love to see photos of your 7mm mauser.

@chip I was thinking about that the other day. Hopefully this election cycle we won't see ammo prices and black rifles skyrocket in price like last time. It took 18 months (at least) following the last election for prices to come back to almost normal. Now that I'm engaged, I don't have the cash to go stock up on much. LOL. :D
    edited Feb 2012
    Here's the before pictures. http://www.surplusguncollector.com/27/need-help-identifying-a-spanish-oviedo-mauser/

I had to run an electronic bore cleaner for 4 days to get the rust out of the bore. I'm waiting on a bore gauge to see if I need to make it an 8mm Mauser before I shoot it :)
    Oooh cool. I'd like one like that some day.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Orange, CA Icrontian
    I just received a photo of what my Ruger is looking like right now.

I miss it... it's in Virginia and I'm in California. I sent it along with a friend for safekeeping when I moved to antigunland. The scope is his addition.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    A couple of weeks ago I bought a Sako TRG-42(S) in .338 Lapua. This is a long range target/sniper rifle capable of MOA groups out to 1200m. It is used by several armies as their primary sniper rig. I have it fitted with a 4-12x50 Schmitt and Bender Tacticle scope. So far I have shot 2.5" groups @ 1500m.

• _k__k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Needs a sling.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Watching the mere mortals in chaos from high atop Mt. Olympus Icrontian
    edited Feb 2012
    About a week earlier I got a new shotgun, known as the s12 Chaos w/ H&K option. It is a semi-custom 12 Ga on a AK style action in semi-auto with a rocker trigger that makes it faster than a semi-auto but not an auto at all. It holds 11 rounds and I got 3 magazines when I purchased it. image
    Wow !!!! Somebody who spends more on guns than me !!! I must go show the wife. Maybe it'll relieve me a little bit.

Really nice guns Mt_Goat. Makes me want a sniper, but with 300 meters max it would waste a lot of paper shooting through the same hole all day.
    ooh I like that Sako. Last time I was at the range a guy let me shoot his SSG 3000 in exchange for shooting my m91/30. Not exactly a fair trade but I recognized how kind he was being. Hyper accurate rifles are one of my most favorite things with regards to firearms.

And that S12 Chaos makes all the so-called "custom" Saigas look like jokes. I bet it's a blast to shoot. Probably pops pumpkins really well.
  • ChipChip Dallas Member
    This thread has GOT to be on an FBI Watch-List now. :)
    If anyone is wondering, the ammo I am shooting in the 338 Lapua is 300gr BTHP @ 2,88fps! I tried some of the 250gr BTSP ammo @ 2.950fps and found it to not be near as accurate at long range due to the lack of weight and BC (ballistic coefficient) in comparisson.
    This thread has GOT to be on an FBI Watch-List now.
    At least I am not on any watch lists, except my competition. Being a retired sniper has its privleges. ;)

Neither of my two new toys has detracted from my love of my H&K P2000 in .40 S&W (posted earlier).

• GuppyGuppy Warren, MI Icrontian
    Bought a Ruger GP100 (4") today. Hoping to get out the range in the next couple of days to put a few rounds through it.

If I finish cleaning up my Mosin, I'll bring that along too.
  • Creeperbane2Creeperbane2 The Lunatic Indianapolis, IN Icrontian
    Chip said:

This thread has GOT to be on an FBI Watch-List now. :)

Hi NSA how are you!

• _k__k_ P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    Actually it isn't a negative if you are put on the FBI's list. The FBI, from all of the accounts I have read, show up and are extremely polite with only having the sole intention of wanting to have a very honest discussion with you. Usually they aren't shy about telling you how long they have "known" of your actions, just checking up on people verifying what they already know. I know someone who has property extremely close to the Bush's ranch and they had a bunch of kids out there for shooting team practice while the president was home, you had to stick your feet under the fence to get a full 600 yards from the targets. The Texas police freaked out but when the SS showed up they asked what they were doing on their own property and then said sorry about people bothering them.

It is always good not be watched by anyone but you also have to compare that to the "good enough" metric.
13»