Guinness World Records Gamer's Edition continues to embarrass real gamers

Comments

• Do we expect anything less from Guinness? When it comes to quantifiable things (like the worlds biggest snowball fight), Guinness tends to be spot-on. As soon as you move away from the realm of the quantifiable, however, I wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them.
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 3 ranked (far) lower than Super Mario Bros. A game whose ending consists of nothing more than this screen.

Beat out this
    by a lot.

yesiveryfuckingmad.jpg

• oni_delsoni_dels Drunk French Canadian Montréal, Québec. Icrontian
    I not only puked a little, i died inside... well what was still alive in me died...
    you want a list? here:
    any mario or megaman from Nes and Snes
    any final fantasy from 1 to 8
    i'm glad shadow of the colossus was in the list...
    final fantasy tactics
    ogre tactics
    sonic 1 through 3 and sonic and knuckles
    pretty much any game released before 1999...
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    I'm not sure how this works. I've played like...4 of the top 25.

And on what planet is Starcraft II a bigger deal than the original Starcraft/SC:BW?
  • Damnit Canti, you just reminded me that I need to get a PS3 so I can play Guns of the Patriots.

FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU
  • DAMN U CORPORATE GREED BULLSHIT
  • BandrikBandrik Elkhart, IN Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    (everything Canti said)
    Canti, you said exactly (and I mean that literally) what I was about to type in this little box. I saw MGS3 and Super Mario Bros. And I made that exact same comparison, with a nice blob of "WTF" slathered on top.

The entire Metal Gear series hits hard. I will boldly admit, without any trace of shame, that I cried manly tears during Metal Gear Solid 4's ending. Manly. Tears.

In contrast, I can barely even remember there being and ending on most of the other games on that list, let alone a good one. Even Ocarina of Time, in all its nostalgia glory, had a pretty ho-hum ending.

This list can go eat a dick (clown).

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    MGS4 is pretty much exactly where it should be, if not a little higher. I hold it in very, very high regard.

I thought it was dumb they included Super Mario Bros and Sonic the Hedgehog. I love those games to death, but the only reason they made that list is out of nostalgia. Nothing about them makes them definitive game endings/stories.
  • My personal favorite game ending.

Another one that I always thought was nice.

• TimTim Southwest PA Icrontian
    Starcraft 2 and Halo 2 should both be in the top 10.
  • ChoochBinh Nguyen K-Pop authority™, Pho King Madison Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    I never played Half-Life 2: Episode Tow ...
    This list made me sad....I cried...
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    13,000 gamers is difinitive? Steam has no less than two million gamers online at any given time. Yuck.
  • IlriyasIlriyas The Syrupy Canadian Toronto, Ontario Icrontian
    This is a joke it has to be, any list that doesn't include Deus Ex, (Rated one of the greatest PC games ever made) Thief The Metal Age, Duke Nukem 3d, Doom, Goldeneye, (64 version not that reloaded bs) and Age of Empires 2 has got to be a massive joke.

(I could list more games but these stand out in the forefront of my mind of games that I've played. [note Half-Life isn't there because I've never played any of the games, something I should get around to])
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    While in most regards Halo is way, way, way overrated Reach did have a particularly evocative and balsy ending. Mass Effect 2 had a badass end right up until the dumb boss fight, Mass Effect 1's was better, and significantly better than Amy of the Assassin's Creed endings.
  • colacola part legend, part devil... all man Balls deep Icrontian
    Brilliant, Cliff.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    While in most regards Halo is way, way, way overrated Reach did have a particularly evocative and balsy ending. Mass Effect 2 had a badass end right up until the dumb boss fight, Mass Effect 1's was better, and significantly better than Amy of the Assassin's Creed endings.
    Yeah, I felt that boss fight kind of ruined ME2's ending for me. I mean, it didn't totally ruin it, I still think it was spectacular, but that fight was pretty dumb.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    I can't believe Borderlands didn't make the list. I mean who could forget that epic final boss battle?
  • KoreishBrad Meyer I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I don't know if Guiness knows this but people don't play Starcraft, Halo, Gears of War, or CoD for their stories. If you can even call them that... :/
    I don't know if Guiness knows this but people don't play Starcraft, Halo, Gears of War, or CoD for their stories. If you can even call them that... :/
    I absolutely played the original Starcraft and expansion for the story. Starcraft II I played for the story until it ripped my heart out.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    Believe it or not people most definitely do play Halo for the story. They read all the books and stuff and study the lore and have posters of the cheap knock off of Shodan from System Shock 2.
  • Guinness have conducted a poll and have announced the results - it seems dumb to castigate them for this!?

Surely the problem, if there is one, is the casual gamers that voted.

Personally who cares; does it effect your favourite ernding wasn't chosen?
  • branmysonbranmyson Ekalaka, MT
    So, you are upset that your opinions are not represented in a survey of a fairly large group? I do wonder if you can be sure that those of us here are representative of an "average" gamer. When you are dealing with a subjective term like "best" the process should be to poll a large number of people in order to achieve some level of average “best”

“You can’t have a small sample of gamers vote on what, in their opinion, are the greatest video game endings of all time (which shockingly relate directly to top sales figures), and then slap a seal on it and call it definitive.”

Which is probably exactly what should be done. Additionally, the reason it relates to sales figures is due to the fact that sales represent the number of units purchased which would correlate to the # of games people actually played. I think part of your issue is that you do not feel that you are represented, but are not you and many of this site at the forefront of gaming and less hobbyists? Perhaps you main issue is in how you define Gamer and how you rate subjective terms. Perhaps what should be polled instead are 500 video game reviewers. Would that be more definitive? Or would a better poll be one that is limited to those who can demonstrate 15+ years of gaming as a hobby with 20+ games played and purchased each of those years.

How would you make a “definitive” list?
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited February 2012
    Guinness also utilizes the services of those amateurs over at http://www.twingalaxies.com/ to monitor the high arcade scores.
  • They should have checked for experience, a new gamer or an casual gamer would obviously pick the flashest game out there, a veteran gamer or a career gamer would judge on content.
    How would you make a “definitive” list?
    I wouldn't. Unless, of course, I wanted to enrage and entire market of people and drive them to read (and subsequently post/bitch) about my list.

Worked well for Rolling Stone's 100 greatest guitarists list.
  • What about Half-Life? With these games on the list, you'd expect PONG to be on the list!
  • KoreishBrad Meyer I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    I just noticed that Star Wars The Force Unleashed was on the list. The game we paid 60USD for and beat on the hardest difficulty within 6hrs 100%? The game that not only shit on the original trilogy but the already craptastic prequel trilogy?

Even the casual gamer should know better than this.